PDA

View Full Version : DISCUS CHICAGO??????

TURBOFROG
10-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Anyone know of any Discus clubs in Chicago? Or in Il or the burbs? Its a big city and I think if there isnt that we should start one up!

William Palumbo
10-30-2009, 01:26 AM
No clubs that I know of. A few get togethers here and there, but nothing official. Would be nice tho. I always wished there was one, and figure a big city like Chicago would have one...Bill

Harriett
10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Ditto. For a couple years Larry Forbes [aka Polar Bear] and I put on 2-3 x year informal meet ups at Old Orchard Aquarium in Skokie, right off of 94 after hours and usually had 15-25 people showing up. Nice meetings, folks came from all over the Chicagoland area and WI.
OOA is totally open to having any fish or plant clubs or groups meet at their store, no strings attached, usually Friday or Sat after closing.
Best regards,
Harriett
[In Evanston]

Discus Plus
10-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Harriet, would you and Larry be up to coordinating another event? I'm in Milwaukee and would be interested in meeting more Discus folks. Maybe we could have a speaker and a mini auction?

Derrick

TURBOFROG
10-30-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree! We should get the ball rolling on this . I have only met a couple of people. It would be great to get everyone together.It seems like the east coast has it together, we should do the same!

Brian

localfishbreeders
10-31-2009, 03:10 PM
if you want to get a local club going you can use my site localfishbreeders.com for it. I launched it a couple of weeks ago but there are almost 40 people registered. Bill, are you the same Bill we just got rosy reds from today?

William Palumbo
10-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Was it a short bald guy?...Then that was me!....Is this you Lance or Mo?...Bill

localfishbreeders
10-31-2009, 04:33 PM
haha yeah, check out the site man. You can advertise your fish there too.

Harriett
10-31-2009, 04:43 PM
I would be glad to HELP, but not do the whole deal. I can ask LArry if he would be interested in coming, and in helping.
I am sure Joe {Squiggy} will come too.
I can go talk to the owners at the store.
I am going to be out of town from 11/11 to 11/18, can probably stop in there before I go. We need to agree on a date or two to ask for--Friday or Saturday evening. Store closes at 6 or 7.
In the past we have brought refreshments,etc. and perhaps folks would want to volunteer to bring stuff?
In terms of a speaker, what are you thinking? Anyone reading this want to volunteer themsleves to do a talk?
The store has not had a problem with us trading or selling each other fish and plants etc but have concerns that there are no open bags that could bring in potential airborne problems for their stock...and so on.
OK?
Feedback? Ardan, would you come down for this? I haven't seen you in forever!
My best regards,
Harriett

Discus Plus
10-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Maybe one of the Simply sponsors from the Chicago area would be willing to speak (looks like there are a few)? If we can get a good group together, perhaps Cary, Jack, or Hans would want in? Sure would be great to have a local Discus event.

Derrick

William Palumbo
10-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Speakers are great...but even for the "real" aquarium clubs in the area, they are hard to come by. It would be nice to have one, but I am sure if we can"t get one, together, we would have a good time and all have plenty to talk about anyway. Try and keep it simple, and we can all see where it goes from there. Clubs are not easy. It's work. I belonged to a few in my early days, that sadly just disintergrated. This happens. I would happily volunteer for this meeting...just let me know what I need to do...Bill

GrillMaster
10-31-2009, 08:51 PM
You really dont need anything special...Just get everyone together in the area and have a lil pot luck dinner... Everyone just bring a lil dish. The meet an greet is the best! You can match the faces with the names, talk Discus and have a great time!!

Best of luck to you guys an gals! :thumbsup:

tc

William Palumbo
10-31-2009, 08:58 PM
I agree Mark!...Bill

TURBOFROG
10-31-2009, 11:57 PM
Im in for sure! let me know what I can do as well to help out.

Harriett
11-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Speakers are great...but even for the "real" aquarium clubs in the area, they are hard to come by. It would be nice to have one, but I am sure if we can"t get one, together, we would have a good time and all have plenty to talk about anyway. Try and keep it simple, and we can all see where it goes from there. Clubs are not easy. It's work. I belonged to a few in my early days, that sadly just disintergrated. This happens. I would happily volunteer for this meeting...just let me know what I need to do...Bill

I completely agree.
Also, to 'import' a speaker, said speaker my be transported, put up at a hotel, fed, and I assume paid for their time!
We can do a mom and pop meeting with some volunteers, but there are few nickels in my pockets and they aren't available for speakers--that's the reality. That's my economy!
Best regards,
Harriett

Harriett
11-02-2009, 10:07 AM
You really dont need anything special...Just get everyone together in the area and have a lil pot luck dinner... Everyone just bring a lil dish. The meet an greet is the best! You can match the faces with the names, talk Discus and have a great time!!

Best of luck to you guys an gals! :thumbsup:

tc

This is what we have done in the past and it was great. In fact, we just did beverages and snacks--cheese and crackers, dips, etc etc, some sweets.
Any folks who want to bring things to sell or swap [fish, plants, etc] made their own little connections and brought whatever. If you want to post on that, you may drum up some business and or some arrangements.
OK, so what are you all thinking of for potential dates?
I will give a call over there tomorrow and see what is open for them and then get back to you here. They are closed on Mondays.
What would folks like to bring food wise? Let's go!
I volunteer to bring a pan of brownies.
Best regards,
Harriett

William Palumbo
11-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi Harriett...I myself am pretty open to any dates, thanks to the economy, I am "free" for right now! I guess if you talk to the shop owners and get some dates we could pick one. I would be willing to bring a cheese plate, or beverages, ect. But I guess first we need a date...and then find out how many actually want to go...Bill

TURBOFROG
11-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Im in the same boat as well! So if Bill brings a cheese tray ill bring a veggie tray! Just make sure its not during a Bears game! ;)

Harriett
11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
That's fine. I will get back to you after I call. In the past, what we did was to get the mtg date and time info posted on SD and then asked people to PM one of us with an 'intent to come' [and perhaps an intent to bring food?] note, so we were ablwe to get a rough head count, which the shop asked for each time..
Best regards,
Harriett

TURBOFROG
11-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Sounds like a plan to me!

Harriett
11-02-2009, 06:17 PM
OK, I remembered wrong, they ARE open Mondays and I just spoke with one of the owners. They would be de-lighted to host us, Saturdays are best, since the other days the store is open until 8 and that'a pretty late to start. They close the store for business at 6PM Saturday and we are welcome to be there for a couple hours; they will leave the register open so if you are prowling around and want to buy something, that will work, though I can tell you from past experience, they are very laid back on that front. They now have a DVD player and TV at the store so if there is a taped presentation someone has to share, we could do that--now or in the future.
The dates Allen and I were looking at are either 11/21 or 12/5. I will be out of town on 11/14 so that wouldn't work for me. He doesn't want to do it on the Thanksgiving weekend.
Need some feedback on which Saturday will work best for you guys, so I can call him and confirm. As said before, they would like a rough idea of a head count when we get a little closer.
So, let the feedback begin! Pipe up with your favorite date and if you want to bring food or picnic ware etc?
The store is located as follows:
Old Orchard Aquarium
9235 Skokie Blvd
Skokie IL
847-676-8539

Directions:
If you are not real local to the area: the store a couple blocks off of 94. Get off at Old Orchard Road, go EAST to Skokie Blvd [2nd light over, in front of the Old Orchard Mall]. At Skokie Blvd go SOUTH [right turn], and go past the south end of the mall, passing Golf road, and start looking on the EAST side of the street [your left] for the big OOA sign. Pearl Vision is right across the street from it, on the right.
There is a divider in the road so you need to go past the fish shop if you are heading south, and do a u-ey at Church, half a block down, and come back north to hit their driveway. You'll see it when you get there. Lots of parking. Good sized shop, they have a shark pool, lots of fish, gismos, fresh and marine. Often a decent plant selection as well. In the past, crappy discus. I haven't been in there in a good while.
That's all I've got for now.

I'll bring those brownies and name-tag stickie things.

Best regards,
Harriett

William Palumbo
11-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Either date works for me, but I guess the earlier is best...the sooner the better! Come on people, chime in...Bill

TURBOFROG
11-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Im in....either date works for me as well.

Harriett
11-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm for 11/21

Harriett

William Palumbo
11-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Same here...11/21...Bill

TURBOFROG
11-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Works for me.......now we just need to get more people to make this.

marlon010
11-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Well...I am just coming off of surgery...but if I am up and about by then, I'll Be There.

paletka
11-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi,
Count me in, just let me know which day you pick.

chris

TURBOFROG
11-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Outstanding! Great to see more people are starting to come out!

William Palumbo
11-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Would be nice to see more people chime in. Is this all? There has got to be more Chicago area hobbyists. This may answer why there is no Chicago Discus clubs...Bill

TURBOFROG
11-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Lets hope we can get more people out Bill.....

William Palumbo
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm hoping Frog. But I know from experience, that a lot of newer hobbyists get into this heavy, then burn themselves out because of it, just to drop out of it all together. I admire the newbies spunk and hunger for it, but their stamina is their downfall. Just give me a handful of "dedicated" Discus people at this meeting and I'll be happy. Tho the more, the merrier!...Would love to see a bunch of people show up...Bill

TURBOFROG
11-03-2009, 06:21 PM
I hear ya!

SheTankerDiscusChick
11-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks for finding me Turbo. Go Bears!
I was beginning to feel all alone :( I'm ready to lay all my Discus talk on you guys...everyone else is tired of hearing it. :angel: December date is better for me. I have to get my pics together.

I have ideas...what about sharing topics like:
Good books or info found
Best and Worse Products or chemical
Stores, web sites, sales, deals found
Short story telling (funny stuff or personal experiences)
Best fish or picture contests
or even a Fish pageants ie: best fin/color/spots ect

We don't need a fancy speaker...we can entertain and share with just a few Discus/fish lovers

SheTankerDiscusChick
11-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Clubs diminish because the excitement needs to be obtained and held constant...which is hard. I vote for vests or something with patches, contests, stories, ect. We gotta keep the ball rolling.

Tropical Haven
11-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Count me in on this as well!!!!

Big Tuck
11-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Hey Bill shoot me a R/T airline ticket (first class of coarse) And ill come..LOL Tuck

William Palumbo
11-04-2009, 07:06 PM
LOL...You know if I could I would Tuck. I'm gonna be bumming a ride to the meeting!...Bill

Big Tuck
11-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Its OK Bill,i already had my bag packed,but i can unpack just as quick.Good luck with your meeting sounds fun. Tuck

William Palumbo
11-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Tuck, you aint goin' nowhere!...you have too many(hundreds) of fry to take care of. Wish you did come by, I'd have you bring me some!!!...Bill

Big Tuck
11-04-2009, 10:04 PM
OK Bill maybe ill head that way next summer Good LORD willing.If i do ill bring you a tub full. Tuck

Squiggy
11-05-2009, 03:41 PM
oooh...oooh....I wanna play, too!

Always fun to meet new discus people. :D

Harriett
11-05-2009, 06:54 PM
As I said in my email to you dearest one, I wouldn't consider going if you weren't there too! Larry is in also, hoping Ingrid will come.
Hey--I just responded to your email. Check it plz.
XOX
H

Harriett
11-05-2009, 07:16 PM
OK, all interested folks, Bill and I just finalized and we are going to call this meet up for Saturday November 21st at 6PM. PLease do let us know if you can make it so we have a reasonable head count. So far, the folks who have responded are:

Bill Palumbo
Brian [Turbofrog]
Derrick [DiscusPlus]
Scott [Tropical HAven]
SheTankerDiscusChick
Larry Forbes [Polar Bear]
Joe Swaison [Squiggy]
The spirit of Big Tuck
Chris Paletka [Windy City Discus]
Marlon010 if he is recuperated enough to join us!
Harriett

Plz let us know if you aren't on this list and want to join us!

The food/etc list so far:
Bill: signs and cheese plate OR beverages
Brian: vegie tray
Harriett: brownies and name tags

We could use: sign in sheet and pens, plates, napkins, canned or bottled beverages on ice if Bill does cheese etc, [I have a good sized cooler if needed], and any other food suggestions....

We don't have a meeting plan. From the other meetings we did, as I think I may have said, it was an informal meet and mingle thing that often generated a big old circle of people telling stories or giving feedback on questions etc. A nice mix of newbies and more experienced hobbyists.

Often folks wandered about and looked at driftwood, fish [they have never had decent discus but everything else has been first rate for all the years I have been going there] or plants or supplies as needed. They have all the bells and whistles--plumbing stuff, etc. Candy store, you know? In the past, if someone wanted something in particular, the shop would order it for them if the order was in advance of the meeting date. A lot of folks got gorgeous high quality cardinals. This place has nice stuff and it is also a little pricey.

Just pipe in if you plan to join us on the 21st and we will keep track of things that way.

Our best to all of you and WELCOME!

Harriett and Bill

William Palumbo
11-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Sounds good Harriett. Looks like we will have a nice handful showing up. I will for sure bring the cheeseplate/crackers...the signs and sign in sheets, and pens....Bill

TURBOFROG
11-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Sounds great.....what is the name of this places again?

Harriett
11-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Brian, go back to my post # 21 and all the info is there, including name, phone, directions, ok?
Best regards,
Harriett

GrillMaster
11-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Deja Vu!!! :D :D :D

Sounds like our first meeting! I know you guys will have a great time! Better times will follow right along I am sure. :thumbsup:

I for one would love to visit you guys an gals up there for a meeting someday! :)

diadiscus
11-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Count me also, but I'll be late. How late you guys staying?

Thanks

John

William Palumbo
11-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Don't be too late John, because I think they only stay open for us after the shop is closed to the public for a couple hours...Bill

dbfzurowski
11-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Old Orchard Aquarium in Skokie

Awesome store. I'm there least once a week :)
Got my fire eel from there, doing very good.
A++ for customer service.
Wish i saw this thread last week :(
Next time.

VIOLIN33
11-27-2009, 03:09 PM
is everyone welcome to come,and join????:D

VIOLIN33
11-27-2009, 03:13 PM
we could use the first few meetings, to just meet and get organized.to see how much intestest there is,,,

William Palumbo
11-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Dave...everyone was welcomed...But the meeting was LAST Saturday. There were only 4 people and myself there...even so, it was still fun and I enjoyed meeting who did show. I am looking forward to the next one, whenever that will be...Yoy would have enjoyed it Dave...3 people into the wilds...Bill