PDA

View Full Version : Potting soil

mugzy213
10-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Can use potting soil in clay pot in my 55 gal bb. What would work best?

Disgirl
10-30-2009, 05:19 PM
When I put live plants into clay pots I use some regular potting soil and gravel. Put some screen or net over the pot hole so nothing leaves the pot, except roots maybe. I add about 2/3 soil then 1/3 gravel on top of it. You don't want the loose soil floating around your tank and the gravel keeps it in place. You can put some fertilizer tabs into the soil. Put your plant into the soil then add the gravel on top. You may have to pull the plant up some so it is at the right level in the pot. I have Crypts in clay pots that have been in there about 10 yrs. and they are huge and healthy.
Barb :)

mugzy213
10-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Will it work just with gravel? I don't want to buy a huge bag for 2 little pots:)

Disgirl
10-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Yes, I have heard some use just gravel. But some fertilizer tabs will really be important then. If you can get some Laterite (a clay that some use for growing aquarium plants) to add to the bottom of the gravel it would be even better. Laterite is available in most lfs in a small box for a few $.Swordplants do really well with this stuff!
Barb:)

mugzy213
10-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Yes, I have heard some use just gravel. But some fertilizer tabs will really be important then. If you can get some Laterite (a clay that some use for growing aquarium plants) to add to the bottom of the gravel it would be even better. Laterite is available in most lfs in a small box for a few $.Swordplants do really well with this stuff!

Hey Barb:) thanks for your help...

anyways I got some plants and gave a bleach bath 1cup to 10 cup of water for 3 mins and letting them soak back in normal water when can i put in the tank? the plants still smell like bleach

seanyuki
10-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Just sharing......hoping also to do a planted tank soon.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/plants/PlantSubstrates.htm

mugzy213
10-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Hey Barb:) thanks for your help...

anyways I got some plants and gave a bleach bath 1cup to 10 cup of water for 3 mins and letting them soak back in normal water when can i put in the tank? the plants still smell like bleach

I just decided to put them in a 10 gal QT for now...how long should they be in there?

I was also wondering if the QT still has to have a heater in with them?

I have the plants in a 10 gal with air and heat and light.

thanks

Disgirl
10-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Sorry to take so long to check this thread again! You can put your plants into your tank now. If they still smell of bleach then just put a good dose of Prime or other dechlor into the water in the 10 gal. The chlorine (bleach) will be gone instantly. You can leave them in qt but I don't think it is necessary since you bleached them. Would have killed snails, eggs and any parasites. What kind of plants are they? Good luck! I think they will be fine!
Barb :)

mugzy213
10-31-2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks barb:)

I found and got the Laterite. Do I put 2/3 Laterite and top it off with gravel in the pot?

And about the fert tabs is it one tab per clay pot or should I break them in 4s?

Thanks so much for your help:)

Hal

Disgirl
10-31-2009, 09:22 AM
I would just mix some laterite into the bottom layer of gravel then put lots of gravel on top of it. Laterite is clay and it will make your water cloudy if disturbed in the gravel so plan on not doing anything with it other than letting roots grow into it. With the lat. I don't think you will need fert tabs. The lat. is very healthy for the plants and you don't want to over fertilize. Later on, if plants get large you could poke some tabs into the gravel. The fish poop and uneaten food that fall into the gravel will eventually be food too :D. Glad to help! Beside being a fish keeper, I am also an underwater gardener and backyard gardener so I like to talk plants.