PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Filter

TankWatcher
11-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi All

Sorry if this isn't right place for this question.

Hope someone can help.

Today I installed my new max mix C02 reactor onto my eheim pro II 2028. Put everything back together & it leaked. At first I though problem was with the reactor hose joins, so I re-did everything.

Still leaks.

Looking more closely, it is leaking from where the hose joins onto the quick connector thingy. In case the hose was stretched from being refitted, I replaced that section with new hose. Tried putting a hose clamp to tighten the seal, but still it leaks.

It's 10.50pm and I've been trying to fix this leak since 6.30pm - I give up (for tonight, anyway). Filter is sitting in a big plastic container to catch the leaks.

Do I need a new hose connector? It seems strange that it's leaking from where the hose slips over it.

Thanks in advance.

frenchie100
11-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Wow, that's weird Robyn! Could there be some kind of blockage down the line that would create excess water pressure? Like a piece of paper towel or something?

Now be honest Robyn- how many times have you wanted to smash that filter, LOL! You are way more patient than me my friend if you have been at it for so long, LOL!

Good luck and hopefully someone ele can better help you!

Take care,
Julie :)

tcyiu
11-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Any chance of a picture?

Tim

TankWatcher
11-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Hi Julie & Tim

Finally hubby got the leak to stop this morning. I think the hose connector is on it's way out (I've been told that 2028's need the hose connector replaced every few years, as they have a tendency to break). Mine previously never needed a hose clamp (only the one it came with). Hubby had to undo & redo the hose clip several times & did it up so much more tightly that I can. I can't even undo it, now. (We both have several cuts from slipping with the screwdriver, trying to get the hose clamps tight enough to stop the drips).

Filter is still sitting in a container, but there hasn't been another drip since he fixed it, so I think I can safely remove the container.

Julie, I did feel like smashing that filter last night! Makes me wish all my tanks were run on sumps !

smallfin
11-02-2009, 06:00 AM
Three cheers for Hubby!!! Hip hip horay, hip hip horay, hip hip horay,
See, hubby's are good for somethings.

If it makes you feel any better, I was cleaning my filter on the weekend getting it ready for use after being used for salt water when I got the brilliant Idea of putting smoe of the parts in boiling water to steralize them (have been doing it with babys dummy etc a lot lately) Anyway, not the best Idea it turns out....
Just ordered my new filter!!!!

TankWatcher
11-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Three cheers for Hubby!!! Hip hip horay, hip hip horay, hip hip horay,
See, hubby's are good for somethings.

If it makes you feel any better, I was cleaning my filter on the weekend getting it ready for use after being used for salt water when I got the brilliant Idea of putting smoe of the parts in boiling water to steralize them (have been doing it with babys dummy etc a lot lately) Anyway, not the best Idea it turns out....
Just ordered my new filter!!!!

Bummer, I did the same thing with a sponge filter - but at least that's nowhere near as expensive as having to replace a cannister filter. It wasn't possible to replace just the parts you boiled?

Anyway, next I will be asking how to get the air out of my other filter. The tank has 2 x 2028 eheim filters, one each end. As well as installing the new C02 reactor, each filter had a new external heater installed inline. Now, one of filters (not the previously leaking one) won't stop spurting out air & making a horrid squeaking noise. I'm playing around with to get it to stop, but no luck so far. Grrr. Seems another filter is due for a kicking

tcyiu
11-03-2009, 01:18 AM
Bummer, I did the same thing with a sponge filter - but at least that's nowhere near as expensive as having to replace a cannister filter. It wasn't possible to replace just the parts you boiled?

Anyway, next I will be asking how to get the air out of my other filter. The tank has 2 x 2028 eheim filters, one each end. As well as installing the new C02 reactor, each filter had a new external heater installed inline. Now, one of filters (not the previously leaking one) won't stop spurting out air & making a horrid squeaking noise. I'm playing around with to get it to stop, but no luck so far. Grrr. Seems another filter is due for a kicking

Congrats on the fix.

As for air in your canister, there are a couple of situations I can imagine
1) The simplest is that some air was trapped during the last maintenance. If this is all it is, the air will eventually dissolve in the water and will go away. No effort required.
2). The second is slightly more serious. If there is an air leak on the negative pressure side, this means that air is constantly being drawn in. You will need to locate this leak and stop it. The good news though is that it will not flood your floor. First look at the hose connections to make sure they are airtight. Sometimes, just jiggling the hose will stop the leak. It happened to me on my Eheim on the intake tube. The tube goes straight up and then makes a U-turn down. It was on this end, that the connecting Eheim hose was slight loose. I wiggled it and the squealing and burbing noises stopped.

Hope this helps.
Tim

Scribbles
11-03-2009, 04:08 AM
Congratulations on fixing your filter Robyn. I know what you mean about thrashing your filter, I have fantacys of smashing mine into thousands of pieces. Good luck with the other one.

Chris

smallfin
11-07-2009, 05:44 AM
[QUOTE=TankWatcher;583382]Bummer, I did the same thing with a sponge filter - but at least that's nowhere near as expensive as having to replace a cannister filter. It wasn't possible to replace just the parts you boiled?

I discovered the cost of the parts along with the cost of new media and sponges would almost cost the same so not that bad. It has arrive and set it up today even.

Goodluck with your new problem ;)

TankWatcher
11-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks all. It's still squealing & bubbling away, so I guess I need to investigate further.

If there is an air leak on the negative pressure side
Sorry to sound dopey, but which side is the negative pressue side? Is it the "intake" or the "return" side of things.

Thanks in advance.

Jhhnn
11-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks all. It's still squealing & bubbling away, so I guess I need to investigate further.

Sorry to sound dopey, but which side is the negative pressue side? Is it the "intake" or the "return" side of things.

Thanks in advance.

It's the intake side. I'm not familiar w/ your particular filter, but the canister sealing o-ring may be part of the intake side- dunno...

TankWatcher
11-09-2009, 03:09 AM
It's the intake side. thanks for that :)

The noise is definitely on the return side, so does that mean that the leak cannot be on the pressure side?

Jhhnn
11-09-2009, 11:14 PM
thanks for that :)

The noise is definitely on the return side, so does that mean that the leak cannot be on the pressure side?

Generally speaking, if the leak were on the pressure side, water would be escaping. If there's too much restriction on the inlet, in the filter, or if any of the o-rings are weak, the pump will pull air into the system, giving the symptoms you describe. Looking at the manual for your filter, it looks like everything not on the pump output path is on the inlet, low pressure side... meaning there are several places where air could be coming in.

TankWatcher
11-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Thank.

This weekend I will pull apart everthing on the return side & see if it makes a difference. I already re-did the section before & after the newly installed in line heater & that made no difference. Yet that was only part of the hose I tampered with prior to this noise.