PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think?

calihawker
11-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Well I guess I lied in my previous update. I decided to wait till after I get back from vacation to move the fish into the new tank. I leave in 2 1/2 weeks, not enough time to be comfortable with the new automation stuff.

I wanted to ask opinions on moving some driftwood and planted material from my display tank into the new contest tank. My only concern is contamination. The only problem I've had in that tank was gill flukes that was succesfuly treated over a year ago. All the fish in the display seem happy and healthy so I think it's fine but I'd like to get some opinions anyway.

Thanks!

fishyj
11-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Hey Steve, The only thing that I have been told was not to mix fish from another tank. I don't know if that meant plants and driftwood. I would think that its sort of like a quarantine having them in the other tank. I'll be interested in what the more experienced here think.

calihawker
11-03-2009, 09:04 PM
That's what I was thinking. Whatever is in the tank whether it's fish or gravel. I'm mean if were talking strictly quarantine then the fish (and plants) in question have been in quarantined for over a year.

rickztahone
11-04-2009, 03:14 AM
Well I guess I lied in my previous update. I decided to wait till after I get back from vacation to move the fish into the new tank. I leave in 2 1/2 weeks, not enough time to be comfortable with the new automation stuff.

I wanted to ask opinions on moving some driftwood and planted material from my display tank into the new contest tank. My only concern is contamination. The only problem I've had in that tank was gill flukes that was succesfuly treated over a year ago. All the fish in the display seem happy and healthy so I think it's fine but I'd like to get some opinions anyway.

Thanks!

why not PP it?

Eddie
11-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Hey Steve, you know me....I like to err on the side of caution. I'd probably boil the wood and I have been doing Hydrogen Peroxide dips on plants to clean them up. I immediately rinse the plants under regular tap water after the quick dip. :o

All the best,

Eddie

calihawker
11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Rick and Eddie, those are great suggestions. I think I'll do a little of both.

Thanks!

mmorris
11-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Have you been using the same hoses, pump, wc storage etc?

calihawker
11-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Have you been using the same hoses, pump, wc storage etc?

Yeah sort of but not really. I think I know what your getting at, I used the same net for a while until I realized the error of my ways. The tanks are in such close proximity and they do share some of the same plumbing for water changes. If something was going to happen it probably would have a long time ago. I haven't added stock to the display tank in well over a year.