PDA

View Full Version : www.eclecticdiscus.com Brad hitz

Eclectic Discus
07-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Please look at our website for more info and larger photo's on these beautiful fish... You can see these at ...http://www.eclecticdiscus.com/
thanks

David Rose
11-02-2009, 07:57 AM
My first order of five 2" @ $30 each for Ica Reds with Brad/Eclectic went fairly well in August. All five Ica Reds arrived in one large bag and two of them were slightly larger given Brad ran short of 2", so that was a nice surprise. The fish were beautiful, but did have some nipped fins and acclimated quickly. Since then three are growing fairly well and two remained pretty much the same size and may be stunted. One of which has died. I believe this may have been due to its smaller size was picked on and became isolated.

Overall I'm pleased with my first order and gave Brad a good rating in the feedback section even though he did not extend the same courtesy to me for my order, quick payment, and courteous emails. On the topic of email communications, Brad is very slow to respond to his direct email taking days and usually you need to make a post in SD and/or second email to get his attention. In addition, his overall customer service is good, but there has been no follow up initiated by Brad after the sale.

PS: Shipping cost ($86) IMO do seem higher than other sponsors and vendors that I have dealt with.

I decided to place a second order on 10/24 since only three of my original five are growing out well. While waiting for Brad’s response, I found he had posted on Aquabid.com on 10/21-10/28 selling 2.5” Ica Reds, so I was looking forward to his response seeing this discounted pricing for the larger 2.5” @$25 each vs. the 2” @$30 each I received earlier.

With no response as of 10/27, I posted on SD and received pricing within a few hours, but to my surprise and disappointment I was quoted $200 for (6) 2.5” Ica Reds ($33.33 each) plus $91 for shipping. When I emailed asking as to why the difference in pricing pointing out I saw his AquaBid advertisement, I received an email response:

“They normally sell for $45 each, I ran a 3 day sale to eliminate some over stock which the supply was gone friday.
I will sell you a fish for $25 if you want as it is still up there and I can't take it down.
aquabid does not allow me to until it expires in a day or 2.

My site says check for current prices and the current price ( due to
stock) is $35.00 each or $200 for 6 which is very reasonable esp when a equivalent fish at a local fish store would cost $60.00 Shipping is what it is, I don't mark it up and it changes daily due to fuel cost!”

After reading this I had several issues with his reply. 1) the AquaBid advertisement was for more than three days, 2) my original price quote should have matched the AquaBid pricing without prompting since it was still in effect, 3) it seems unreasonable that customers should be expected be understanding when prices for the same item should fluctuate between $25 and $60 as per the above or in my case between $25 and $33.33 given the posted AquaBid advertisement was in effect.

In short, the customer’s trust is earned and even though Brad offered to honor the pricing from AquaBid the overall logic of this situation has scared me off from wanting to do business with him. This is just my opinion, but I expected the transaction to more straight forward and honorable as a repeat customer from SD.

Hopefully, this will be an isolated incident given Brad has done a wonderful job with his breeding efforts and these Ica Reds are beautiful!

Shipping cost you stated is fair,,all depends on who the carrier is,method of shipping and how far the shipment has to go. ..As for fish growing at different rates,,like it or not that is the way it is..All strains grow at different rates even within the same strain....If you feed your fish 20 times a day and keep the water clean does not make every fish grow big and beautiful. I have bought large groups(10 plus)) of smaller fish in the past to end up with "some good ,some better, and the best" of the group..As for follow up after the sale from the vendor, that is just per vendor.. Selling live animals/livestock is one of the hardest jobs to do...Maybe at times that you can not make 100% of your sales 100% happy, plus the vendor has no control on the shipping company's handling of the box or the enviroment thier livestock is going in..Sometimes there is complications with livestock sales on both ends of the deal (seller or buyer) maybe at fault..It is going to happen eventually to someone sometime.. Best to talk to who you dealt with and work it out so both parties are happy first before posting on a public forum ...Forum private messaging/e-mail/phone call is beautiful thing to handle all matters..

I can appreciate your general perspective Vince and provided my review as objectively as I could based on my specific experience and perspective. Given other members have seen that I've bought from Eclectic, I have received PMs or emails for my opinion, so I thought it would be best to provide this post.

As for growth rates, we can only provide the best care we can and let nature take its course. There is no debate on this. I was looking to purchase more to increase the number of "best" options in my group. As for customer service, some do much more and as I'm sure you've experienced the service can end with the sale.

The only leverage we have is to choose not to do business with the vendor again and provide reviews so others can be prepared or forewarned.

brewmaster15
11-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi all,
I split this out of a sales thread...please post your feedback here for Brad at Ecletic discus.... Share your positive and negative experiencess in this section.

Thanks,
al

Eclectic Discus
11-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Just in response to the above.

I have posted that the best way to contact me is through my sites email address. I check email twice a day at the very least. Any claims of poor communication is just false, I missed one email from you.
I am a hobby breeder, this is not my business. I make absolutely NO money doing this, it actually cost me to breed and raise fish at this level when you consider the chemicals, foods, water, supplies, electricity, supplies, shipping, web site cost and maintenance. Not to mention the work. There is no profit, NONE.
Shipping costs are out of my control and change daily, a quote today may be different next week.
Also shipping costs include foam boxes, heat packs, oxygen, bags, rubber bands, tape and plenty of time. There is no profit in shipping for me, None.
So what it is is what it cost me.
I also cannot guarantee you will be able to grow out fish, That there won't be some small fish and some overly large fish but I can tell you I grow them out to 5+" on a regular basis for pairs.
I do guarantee that the fish you receive from me are healthy, good eaters and from an excellent line that has produced quality fish for years.
I do run sales at times on different sites. I change my prices as per stock and sales at that time of year as any business does so to complain about pricing changes is ridiculous. When I have overstock I run very reasonable sales until those fish are gone then remove the sale as soon as possible.
I reserve the right to change prices at anytime. Your claim that the same 2.5" fish is being priced at $25 - $60 is just false. I have them priced from $19 - $40 at times and usually at $35. 3" from $40 - 60 given stock, demand & my work load to maintain them.
Aqua bid has limitations and I never sell fish through their site but use it as a porthole to my web site. Your tone is that I'm pulling some kind of trickery and nothing could be farther from the truth.
As far as nipped fins, that happens in shipping at times, no reflection on me and it's of no issue as they repair in a day or so if you have your water right.
Again, this is a hobby, I do the best I can given I work freelance and am on call and travel constantly. I don't follow up on sales or do feedback, I don't have the time and because if there is a problem I will be the first to hear of it and take care of it. So I guess the only real complaint here is that you missed the sale price {even though I offered to honor the sale price you saw} and I don't give feedback & missed an email. You did want to purchase again.
Sorry for that. Heck I didn't even know there was a feedback section for buyers and sellers as i don't forum hop much, no time. :)

rickscics
11-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I have not purchased any fish from Brad to this point however I was very close to doing so. I still may if tank space permits. I called Brad after visiting his web site which is very nice incidentally.I spoke with him for quite some time and found him friendly, knowledgeable and quick to respond. He answered all my questions and took time to explain his operation,breeding accomplishment and experience. He is an experienced home breeder as he stated. I found him to be forthwith and a gentleman on the phone. He gets positive ratings from me. Rick