PDA

View Full Version : different woods to use?

DavidC
11-06-2009, 12:56 AM
just curious, i currently am using sand blasted grape vine but that it is very water logged now and im noticeing a little bit of rot, and that makes me nervous of some type of spike that may happen in the future.. any thoughts?... i used african drift in all of my other cichlid tanks but nothing as small and branchy.. are there any that look similar or wont rot??? i think i need to pull it out asap

this new wood that i would get would also be used in a 200 gal tall so there i can use some really larger pieces, what does SD think?... please dont just read and not post, if you dont wanna write alot, just write the name down and i can google it and learn what i can, THANKS

Eddie
11-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Manzanita from manzanita.com

It will get the occasional fungus but many use certain plecos to control it.

HTH
Eddie

DavidC
11-06-2009, 03:54 AM
yeah, i love the grape vine, but with age it has gone all black, and with what apears to be a black rot on the surface of the wood and a white, im assuming fungus on the insides of the veins and knots.. i try not to test water to much as i know i will buy chemicals to try and f with the water, i try to monitor my fish, watch the sand and just do regular water changes... does that seem right?.. im confident with the system and africans or other south american cichlids but just not sure with discus as this world is new to me as a keeper

long time discus lover but 2 weeks and counting on owning

frenchie100
11-06-2009, 04:29 AM
I have to go with manzanita wood as well.

You can get really creative with how you attach the pieces together and it looks awesome when it looks like tree roots going into the tank.

I wouldn't be worried about any sort of spikes.

What I also like about the manzanita wood is that it doesn't really have knots or deep veins, which makes maintenance easier.

As far as not testing you water...makes me cringe a little. Here is why: let's say something is wrong with your water and you don't know it. Your fish could look fine for a month although stressed. Eventually that stress can manifest itslef in the form of disease.

Excellent water will save you a lot of problems down the line. Very importantly is knowing if your pH is stable. Always having 0 nitrites and ammonia, and keeping nitrates below20ppm.

Oh and I forgot: Welcome to the world of discus!!! :D

Julie

Scribbles
11-06-2009, 05:24 AM
My favorite is bog log because it sinks and stays put. It also comes in interesting shapes. I have also used Malaysian driftwood. I get both at a lfs.

Chris

Eddie
11-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Yeah, the manzanita actually becomes water logged after a few days and will set however you like.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/biotope/biotope%20II/IMG_2801.jpg

TankWatcher
11-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah, the manzanita actually becomes water logged after a few days and will set however you like.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/biotope/biotope%20II/IMG_2801.jpg

Looks great Eddie. You know, one of these days, I really will ask you to get me some of that manzanita.

I have some grapevine soaking now. Cost me a fair bit, but it has some white fungus growing on it. It's too big to boil, but I think I do need to steralise it. Maybe I can bleach it????

Could you take yours out, bleach it, the nuke the bleach & start over from scratch David?

Would that work?

Eddie
11-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Let me know Robyn! That was my old biotope that I ended having to break down due to the tank leaking. :(

I dont think I would bleach the wood, as it may leech out into the tank. I mean, the dechlor would probably neutralize it but you never know....especially with my luck. Another option is to find a large container to hold the wood and then fill the tub with boiling water. Just a thought

Eddie

DavidC
11-06-2009, 11:53 AM
hmm, not sure if this is why but...

i have tried boiling it down to dreak down the fungus but the hot water seemed to decay the wood before my eyes and due to the cracks/veins in grapewood the visible fungus/white was removed but came back up days later, slowly becoming visible out of the cracks again,... wood has been in tank for 6 months tops

how long does the manzanita stay hard?, i dont mind tanins leaching out but i dont want a rubber wood(imo).. what i do like about drift is it is such a hard wood it doesnt deal with these issues... maybe pull all wood and just leave my tall vertical drfit in the center, maybe ill figure out how to get some pics up later

DavidC
11-06-2009, 11:59 AM
I have to go with manzanita wood as well.

You can get really creative with how you attach the pieces together and it looks awesome when it looks like tree roots going into the tank.

I wouldn't be worried about any sort of spikes.

What I also like about the manzanita wood is that it doesn't really have knots or deep veins, which makes maintenance easier.

As far as not testing you water...makes me cringe a little. Here is why: let's say something is wrong with your water and you don't know it. Your fish could look fine for a month although stressed. Eventually that stress can manifest itslef in the form of disease.

Excellent water will save you a lot of problems down the line. Very importantly is knowing if your pH is stable. Always having 0 nitrites and ammonia, and keeping nitrates below20ppm.

Oh and I forgot: Welcome to the world of discus!!! :D

Julie

thanks for the welcome, i did test regularly in the beginning and didnt notice anything to be alarmed about, ph stays stable, never flexing.. my dads will go from 7.4 and crash all the way down to 6.0 with out buffering, mine? doesnt do anything, 7.2-7.4 all the time, i do agree i should be testing this again though as i would hate for a problem to arise later, thanks again julie ill be getting a new test package today... sounded ok untill i read it again and thought wow( am i for real?) kind of like diving without a dive partner.. ( i spearfish / freedive)

Eddie
11-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Hey David, it stays hard for a very long time! :antlers:

Eddie

TankWatcher
11-06-2009, 10:28 PM
This is my 2nd time with grapevine & I should have learnt from the first time. It did the fungus thing that time too. Back then, I was a member of planted tank forum (not having discovered discus) that grapevine is for terrariums & not suitable for fish tanks.

I was told to google grapevine & aquariums & I'd see results come up regarding problems of white slime etc on the wood. I haven't googled the subject for a while, but after this thread & the issues with my current soaking grapevine & yours David, I'm going to do some more research.

Yeah, Eddie - one of these days I will ask you re that beautiful manzanita. Should have done it last time we spoke, then I wouldn't have wasted my cash on the grapevine. But ...... I am saving my pennies for the ever elusive wilds & ARD (if I can ever find them). I'll let you know if I cave.

In the meantime, I was already scared to bleach the wood. Knew someone would tell me if it was a bad idea, if I mentioned it. At least it puts the idea out of my head (and now David's as well)