PDA

View Full Version : Week 25

wgtaylor
11-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Well, first I have to apologize for the dirty tank. Didn't notice until I looked at the picture. I'll do better next time.
Also apologize for missing last week update.
These are my Albino Golden x Albino Spotted contest discus at twenty five weeks in our home.
They have remained healthy. There is a slight difference in size but not more than what you
would expect between a male and female discus. I hope this continues to be the case. They were between
2 1/2" and 3" when I received them. The largest male I would estimate now is well over 6" in total length.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Week%2021%20-/week25.jpg

My water out of our tap is 65 microseimens, 30 parts per million, ph 6.5 with a gh and kh <1 so forces me to do daily water changes to
keep the ph from dropping but they really enjoy their water changes. The nitrites and ammonia stay at zero and nitrates <5.
All sides, bottom of tank, air lines and any surfaces in the tank are wiped down every other day.
I am still feeding beefheart/shrimp mix twice per day and flake two to three times with pellets once at midday during their water change.
I use only beefheart and shrimp in my mix now at a ratio of 50% shrimp 50% beefheart.
I add no additional supplements to the water or food.

Bill :)

Eddie
11-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Bill, as always...admiring those beauty's and your work! Keep up it my friend and take care,

Eddie

Discus-n00b
11-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Those look excellent! You've done a great job with them.

acroken
11-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Bill,
They are AWESOME! Man their patterns and colors are incredible. You sure can grow some beautiful discus. I love your approach, i know it has worked for years for you. We all can learn from you.Very very nicely done my friend!

Kenny

Scribbles
11-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Wow, they look super, Bill! Excellent job.

Chris

wgtaylor
11-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow, they look super, Bill! Excellent job.

Chris Thanks Chris. I like your sig. :)

Bill,
They are AWESOME! Man their patterns and colors are incredible. You sure can grow some beautiful discus. I love your approach, i know it has worked for years for you. We all can learn from you.Very very nicely done my friend!

KennyKeeping it as simple as I can so I don't muk things up. :) Thanks Kenny

Those look excellent! You've done a great job with them.
Thanks for the compliments Matt :)

Bill, as always...admiring those beauty's and your work! Keep up it my friend and take care,

Eddie Thanks Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Bill, absolutly stunning my friend...ugh you guys are killin me....atleast I have my own nice little albino tank, but still!!! the all 1 uniform strain...the black tank...dude, ur killin me! you know what...all of you guys are winners by the end of this thing no matter what...look at that group of 6!! jeesh :D:D

wgtaylor
11-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Bill, absolutly stunning my friend...ugh you guys are killin me....atleast I have my own nice little albino tank, but still!!! the all 1 uniform strain...the black tank...dude, ur killin me! you know what...all of you guys are winners by the end of this thing no matter what...look at that group of 6!! jeesh :D:D
Ya, I like the look of all one strain in a tank. Thanks Jason :):)

Chad Hughes
11-17-2009, 03:18 AM
Bill,

The tank and fish look stunning! Between the fantastic fish and your awesome camera skills, you may win this one my friend! Looking great!

Best wishes!

Islesfan
11-18-2009, 03:59 PM
All I can say is WOW Bill. You've done an amazing job with those beauties.

Mike

wgtaylor
11-18-2009, 07:42 PM
All I can say is WOW Bill. You've done an amazing job with those beauties.

Mike
Thank you very much Mike, I really appreciate the compliment. :)
Bill

Bill,

The tank and fish look stunning! Between the fantastic fish and your awesome camera skills, you may win this one my friend! Looking great!

Best wishes!
Hi Chad,
I've purposely minimized everything I have done to mainly find out how my extreme soft water would effect these guys growth rate compared to other contestants.
I've not added vitamins or minerals to the water or basic foods so this will give me a baseline for future growouts by altering other parameters.
This contest has been really valuable learning experience in that regard and am grateful I got selected. :)
Thanks Chad for the confidence and kind words. I win everyday that I have healthy fish. :)
Take care buddy,
Bill

Big Tuck
11-18-2009, 09:57 PM
They could not possibly look any better,great job. Tuck

fishyj
11-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Hi Bill, Your doing a great job with these fish. I noticed your fish are alot like mine color wise, being more of a golden color with the red and white. I really have learned alot from raising these fish and reading all the postings.

wgtaylor
11-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks Tuck, that's a real compliment coming from someone who raises such nice discus as you. :)
Bill

wgtaylor
11-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi Bill, Your doing a great job with these fish. I noticed your fish are alot like mine color wise, being more of a golden color with the red and white. I really have learned alot from raising these fish and reading all the postings.
Hi Jim, ya, I think most are close to the same color with more or less white markings. I only use shrimp in the mix to bring out the red, no tetra bits etc. Your discus are looking really nice and healthy. :)
This contest is a great leaning tool. We moved to an area with really soft water. Most articles I read say discus grow faster in harder water so I wanted to test that part. I have grown many in hard water so this is new for me.
Like your sig, "Never too old to learn". :)
Thanks Jim,
Bill