PDA

View Full Version : My new discus have Ich!!! What do I do???

CammieTime
11-11-2009, 11:56 PM
I have had 7 new 2.5" discus for about three weeks now and I just noticed that a couple of them are developing the classic Ich white spots (they look like salt grains) on their scales and fins.

How do I treat for this? I bought some Ich Attack, will that work?

Also, since they are juvies, I am doing 100% water changes every day due to the heavy feeding they get. How do I treat for Ich when I am doing 100% water changes every day?

Any inforamation you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

frenchie100
11-12-2009, 12:14 AM
What temp are they at? Ich shouldn't survive at 86F.

philip69285
11-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Well with a water temp of 82 degrees I never have to treat for ich even when a fish of mine had ich (a red wag swordtail) it went away due to the high temps and salt. Maybe best suggestion is to QA the new fish to treat it or dont do the 100% maybe 50% water changes a few days with high temps and water changes? Thats about all I can think of. The medication will only work without the water changes as well.

j_li8
11-12-2009, 12:19 AM
What is your tank size a feeding schedule? I would first try adding salt to the tank before using meds. This has always worked for me in the past when i had a ich break out with my other fish and i will do the same thing if my discus were ever to get ich. I dont have a proportion for amount of salt per gallon of water. I usually just dissolve what i think will be enough, most of the time its less than the normal reccomendation of X-amount or salt per gallon of water. Just remember to replace salt for the amount of water removed.

scottishbloke
11-12-2009, 12:21 AM
I successfully used Ich Attack in my tank when it was planted and full of Rainbowfish and inverts, but I haven't done it with Discus, so it is up to you whether or not to take this advice- other forum members (Eddie especially) may have better suggestions/alternatives, such as using Quick-Cure instead, which is usually pretty effective. If you do decide to use Ich Attack, you will need to dose it every day for 10-14 days minimum to ensure you not only break the parasite's life cycle, as they are immune to treatment while encysted on the fish's body and in the gills (the white spots), but kill all the free-swimming tomite-stage parasites too. The high temperatures normally used in discus tanks (84, 86 degrees etc) greatly speed up Ich's life cycle, which shortens the time treatment takes to work (my rainbows were kept at 76 degrees, so the Ich life cycle, and therefore effective treatment, took over a month to work). Massive water changes and thorough sand/gravel vacuuming also help greatly to reduce free-swimming stage parasite numbers- not a problem with discus keepers. The Ich Attack treatment will however turn your water brown like tannins leached from driftwood. Even with this treatment, though, the parasites may sometimes never completely be 100% eliminated, and may show up again occasionally in the future.

My 2 cents, hope this helps,

Colin

P.S. Forgot to add that some strains of Ich have recently been shown to survive and even reproduce in water temps of 90 degrees or higher; high temps often keep Ich away, but don't count on it.

frenchie100
11-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Yes, if anything, bump up the temp SLOWLY to 90-92F and add 2 tablespoons/ 10 gallons of table salt ( with no caking agent).

Keep doing your WCs because that is what will reduce the numbers of the freeswimming stage of the parasite and as mentioned add water proportions of salt you removed from the WC.

Wiping down all the surfaces daily with a paper towel will also help.

I would personally try that before trying any med.

Julie :)

CammieTime
11-12-2009, 12:36 AM
They are in the QT tank since I just got them. In case they get sick is the very reason why I put them there! What salt do you use to treat the tank? What is the name brand?

CammieTime
11-12-2009, 12:49 AM
I have Epsom Salt....will that work?

Eddie
11-12-2009, 03:31 AM
I have Epsom Salt....will that work?

No, ordinary salt is what you want.

CammieTime
11-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Like regular table salt from the store??? Morton table salt?

yeaboyt
11-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Had the same thing a couple months back. COSTCO sells sea salt which works well, no additives. That along with an increase in temp you should get you good results.

korbi_doc
11-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Plain salt, like Kosher salt, no additives, no iodine!! Hike that temp up slowly!!!

AzFishKid
11-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Taken from here (http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php):

"It has been found that Ich does not infect new fish at 29.4°C/85°F (Johnson, 1976), stops reproducing at 30°C/86°F (Dr. Nick St. Erne, DVM, pers. comm.), and dies at 32°C/89.5°F (Meyer, 1984)"

Raised the temp up to 87 for a few days, and now none of the fish in my tank have ich.
No need to QT the fish(s), IMO.

DonMD
11-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Yes, if anything, bump up the temp SLOWLY to 90-92F and add 2 tablespoons/ 10 gallons of table salt ( with no caking agent).

Keep doing your WCs because that is what will reduce the numbers of the freeswimming stage of the parasite and as mentioned add water proportions of salt you removed from the WC.

Wiping down all the surfaces daily with a paper towel will also help.

I would personally try that before trying any med.

Julie :)

I agree 100% with Julie. I have had great success using elevated temps of 93 degrees F, it clears out the ick completely, and uses zero meds. One week should do it. However, if you have plants or fish that don't tolerate these temps, then that's a problem.