PDA

View Full Version : wild blue X Domestic Turquoise cross

brewmaster15
11-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi all,
I thought I'd post a few pics of a project of mine... Wild Blue male crossed to Domestic Female Turquoise.

Here are some older shots of them with the fry.. then I'll post some pics of the juvies today.

I only have about 22 of the fry.... and will be growing them to adult.

-al

brewmaster15
11-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Current photos.. These fry are not particularly fast growers....but I am not in any hurry and I am not power feeding them by any means.... They are about 3 months old now....

They have much of their mother's iridescence already

-al

brewmaster15
11-14-2009, 10:53 AM
I think there is a couple in the group with some real potential...but hey I am biased... These kinds of crosses are my favorite part of this hobby....and where I learn the most.:)

-al

seanyuki
11-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Very nice pair Al and do you give the frys extra foods besides the parents's milk.?.Thanks for sharing the pics.:)

NanDiscus
11-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Very nice, Al!

N./

brewmaster15
11-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi Frances,
When they are with the parents I feed them with Baby brine shrimp as well... you really have to add additional food...in the wild...the fry would forage on natural food sources.... if you just leave them on the parents slime one of two things will happen...you either stunt the growth of the fry or the fry eat the parents Raw....at least that has been my experience.

hth,
al

seanyuki
11-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks Al for the info......you turned me into a female.....Frances:p

cheers
Francis:)

Hi Frances,
When they are with the parents I feed them with Baby brine shrimp as well... you really have to add additional food...in the wild...the fry would forage on natural food sources.... if you just leave them on the parents slime one of two things will happen...you either stunt the growth of the fry or the fry eat the parents Raw....at least that has been my experience.

hth,
al

Moon
11-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Al I had a similar crossing. There was a big demand for the fry. All were sold and I don't know what they look like.
Male was a wild brown.blue and the female a domestic turq. Unfortunately I lost the male when they were seperated.

brewmaster15
11-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Whoops Sorry Francis:(... I'm due for my second cup of Java I guess!:)

Al I had a similar crossing. There was a big demand for the fry. All were sold and I don't know what they look like.
Male was a wild brown.blue and the female a domestic turq. Unfortunately I lost the male when they were seperated. Thats too bad Joe, I always wish I had kept some at least of any spawns here...but theres always that thought that "i'll breed more" and then it never happens.:( We'll maybe as these guys grow we'll get a little more info on how how yours may have turned out.

I currently have the male from this pair in a tank with a young but very striated turq...still on their honey moon..so no eggs yet... and the female from this batch is in with a really nice suspected male wild ( heckelXblue cross I would almost bet on)..so hope to have more pics soon.:)

-al

Ed13
11-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Awesome AL!

My fav all time cross happens to be made by you, SS x Browns. That has got me thinking all this time of some Jatapu Lago A or B Royal blues or some Inanu Royals crossed with some domestic turk based discus (SS, leopards, turk etc.)

Now I have my Browns from which I want a pair and the rest will be crossed with domestics( if they ever get their act together:mad:)

rickztahone
11-14-2009, 02:28 PM
beautiful pair Al. i have a domestic brown that has very similar markings but the body hue is a little more dark brown than yours. very lovely

brewmaster15
11-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks guys.:)

Ed, Sounds like you have some great plans...bets of luck with them. Snakeskins make very good breeder stock when crossed to the wilds... the offspring are largely variable ... but I think extremely beautiful. I'll be revisiting those crosses again soon...I have some nice snakeskin waiting for their chance.:)

-al

traco
11-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Al, you make all this breeding and rearing of young look so easy!:D Beautiful shape of the fry.

Rod
11-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Nice Al, those fry look terrific. Great crossing! :)

Cooldadddyfunk286
11-14-2009, 03:57 PM
awesome cross Al, the fry look really promising! I cant wait to see them grown up a bit more! great work.

wgtaylor
11-14-2009, 08:24 PM
The shape looks good, color at 3 months is great. The last set of pics sure have fat bellies. Good looking bunch of fry Al. :):)
Bill

Eddie
11-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Amazing Al, those 2 make some killer babies, they are shaped perfectly! Can't wait to see them as adults!

All the best,

Eddie

hedut
11-14-2009, 09:16 PM
very nice pair and nice fry too:D:D

rwong2k
11-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi Al,

I have a question regarding this pair,

Did you have a female domestic and put it in with the male or did you have them in a bigger tank with other discus and let them pair off?

thanks
Raymond

Scribbles
11-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Nice pair Al. I love the shape of the fry. Looks like they have the potential of turning into some real stunners.

Chris

Bilbo_wh
11-15-2009, 05:51 PM
They are very nice looking fry. Congrats on a great cross.

I am hoping to do a similar cross soon so hope they turn out something nearly as good as yours.

brewmaster15
11-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi all,
Thanks for the comments, These fry are something I have been looking forward to for a while.. I have a few goals in mind for the wild crosses I am working on...these ones here are very promising.... so we'll see!

Hi Al,

I have a question regarding this pair,

Did you have a female domestic and put it in with the male or did you have them in a bigger tank with other discus and let them pair off?

thanks
Raymond Hi Raymond.. I almost always force the pair with all my fish, domestic or wild... I have limited space here for fry so I really only want fry from specific pairings... Its the only way to really get what I want out of breeding...

hth,
al

Carolina discus
11-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Al,
Great looking pair and fry...keep us posted as they develop...should be some really nice adults when grown!

all the best,

Eric

ashaysathe
11-16-2009, 02:46 PM
I only have about 22 of the fry.... and will be growing them to adult.

-al

Most disheartening statement of all :p :p
So you have 22 more of my fish to take care of .. so be it.

Only kidding brother. Fantastic

rwong2k
11-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for the comments, These fry are something I have been looking forward to for a while.. I have a few goals in mind for the wild crosses I am working on...these ones here are very promising.... so we'll see!

Hi Raymond.. I almost always force the pair with all my fish, domestic or wild... I have limited space here for fry so I really only want fry from specific pairings... Its the only way to really get what I want out of breeding...

hth,
al

Hi Al,

thanks very much for the reply,

I'll bug you another day about sexing, although I've read a lot on the net and on discus books, seems like you've got your method packed =)

Raymond

ChloroPhil
11-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Pardon me sir, might I have more....pics? Do you take requests for crosses?

brewmaster15
12-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi all,
thought I'd post some updates of these juvies during chow time...:)

hope you like,
al

brewmaster15
12-09-2009, 04:13 PM
more....

moik
12-09-2009, 04:59 PM
They look great,,might have to watch them..Looks like they are going to chew a hole in the bottom of the tank..LOLOL
more....

MostlyDiscus
12-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Amazing pitures Al. You can really see the detail on some of those babies.

Ed

Cooldadddyfunk286
12-09-2009, 06:09 PM
man, these are gonna grow out to be beautiful!! I would love to see all these great discus you have in person. we will have to link up sometime soon. I'd make the trip just to chill and check out the basement! :)

great pics, you have a good eye with that camera.

thanks for the update. take care Al.

Eddie
12-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Super nice Al, can't wait to see them buggers grown!

All the best,

Eddie

Scribbles
12-09-2009, 11:51 PM
They look great now, I bet that they will be incredible as adults. Between now and then they may just eat you out of house and home. LOL.

Chris

brewmaster15
12-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks all,
I've done alot of wild crosses here, but most of the time they are very drab looking fry until they get alot older....I've been pleasantly surprised with their early color development...I can only attribute that to the mom...a very irridescent blue turq.

-al

brewmaster15
02-05-2010, 10:32 AM
I guess its time for an update here.:) Juvies are coming along nicely.. A few are a tad long in the snout by domestic standards but some are surprisingly round... Patterns vary but are still developing nicely.

Hope you like them...I do.:D

-al

brewmaster15
02-05-2010, 10:33 AM
more...

TankWatcher
02-05-2010, 10:43 AM
beautiful juvies Al

wgtaylor
02-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Hi Al
Those do have very early color, very nice. On my computer looks like a lot of green sheen to some.
I personally like the variations of straight striations as well as the pearl markings, all part of the allure of raising wilds and crosses.
Very nice group Al :):)
Bill

Eyecandy
02-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi Al... They are looking really good..congrats...Sue

ashaysathe
02-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Nice tall body. Looks good. I like the distinct bar on the eye. Plus a few are getting the red striations like the Blue on the top fin. Nicely done Al.

brewmaster15
02-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks Robyn!:)

and

Thanks Bill! Yes these do have a really nice greenish sheen on some... and the red striations have really developed well.... for f1's they look really nice...now I need to grow them out and pick and choose for the f2's;):)

Hi Al... They are looking really good..congrats...Sue
Hi Sue,
you need to come on by and see them in person! :)

Nice tall body. Looks good. I like the distinct bar on the eye. Plus a few are getting the red striations like the Blue on the top fin. Nicely done Al. more fish I have to hide from you Ashay? :)

-al

Eddie
02-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Very nice Al! I'd love to have some of them, thats for sure. Are you planning to keep them all or will you be parting with some later on down the road? I am sure some folks would be eager to get a hold of some.

Favorite shot

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52716&d=1265380377

All the best and thanks for update!

Eddie

brewmaster15
02-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Very nice Al! I'd love to have some of them, thats for sure. Are you planning to keep them all or will you be parting with some later on down the road? I am sure some folks would be eager to get a hold of some.

Favorite shot

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52716&d=1265380377

All the best and thanks for update!

Eddie
Thanks Eddie, I plan on keeping them at least until adults.. I did that cross with a certain outcome in mind... this is just the first step...It may take a few more generations to get what I want. Going to have wait for full colors to develop and that really won't happen until adult. so for now...I'll just be patient.

Thanks,
al

Eddie
02-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Sounds great Al! Will definitely be staying tuned for the future possibilities.

All the best,

Eddie

moik
02-05-2010, 11:37 PM
See Eddie other people give updates with pictures on their fry...LOLOL
Sounds great Al! Will definitely be staying tuned for the future possibilities.

All the best,

Eddie

Ed13
02-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Looking good Al, knowing you'll raise some to adulthood makes me happier;)

Eddie
02-06-2010, 09:03 PM
See Eddie other people give updates with pictures on their fry...LOLOL

LOL, dont worry my friend....;)

Eddie

Scribbles
02-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Love the color and high body on these, Al. I can't wait to see how they turn out. Any hints as to what your hoping to develop with them?

Chris

brewmaster15
02-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Love the color and high body on these, Al. I can't wait to see how they turn out. Any hints as to what your hoping to develop with them?

ChrisSorry Chris..if I told you I'd have to ban you!:) Just kidding.;) I won't give too many details...but I want the red turqs to walk a bit more on the wild side .:D:D:D

-al

blkrob
02-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Something else to keep an eye on. They do have a bit of a sheen. Good luck on the future goal.

Robert

ShinShin
02-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Nice job, Al.

Mat

brewmaster15
02-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks Guys,
Hopefully they keep developing well. I'm patient but I cant wait to see them as adults.:)

-al

MSD
02-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Nice juvies Al, bet its the good diet I hear they eat. :D

Discus-Hans
02-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Nice buddy looks very good.

Nive juvies Al, bet its the good diet I hear they eat. :D

Freeze dried Aussie black worms I bet :D :D :D

Hans

brewmaster15
02-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Nive juvies Al, bet its the good diet I hear they eat. :D ;) you know it Mark! Thanks:)

Nice buddy looks very good.

Freeze dried Aussie black worms I bet :D :D :D

Hans
yep;);)..That and my homemade surf and turf:)
Tanks Hans!

-al

MSD
02-10-2010, 08:24 PM
I will be buying those too Al. Hi Hans

scottthomas
02-15-2010, 06:55 PM
I will be interested in future updates. Some of them already showing nice markings on head.

Cooldadddyfunk286
02-15-2010, 07:28 PM
me too. makes me wonder what else Brewmaster is brewin up in his basement. :D:D

guess Ill just have to wait for the meeting and see for myself!! :) Im excited to finally meet Al and check out his Discus! :)

scottthomas
02-15-2010, 07:57 PM
He might make you swear to secrecy.:D

subcooler
02-15-2010, 10:35 PM
me too. makes me wonder what else Brewmaster is brewin up in his basement. :D:D

guess Ill just have to wait for the meeting and see for myself!! :) Im excited to finally meet Al and check out his Discus! :)

I'm sure you'll be amazed @ Al's Basement !

It's a sight to behold-even if Al try's to play it down around here!

Best of luck with our latest development-They look great!

Peace,
Rob

brewmaster15
02-21-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm sure you'll be amazed @ Al's Basement !

It's a sight to behold-even if Al try's to play it down around here!

Best of luck with our latest development-They look great!

Peace,
Rob

Hey thanks so much Rob!:)

Hi everyone...

Time again for an update I think... its been a little over 2 weeks since my last one...and I am trying to do this regularly now.

here we go... hope you enjoy them.

-al

brewmaster15
02-21-2010, 02:27 PM
and some more...

-al

ashaysathe
02-21-2010, 04:12 PM

Be right back with words.

scottthomas
02-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Those are coloring up quickly. Lots of blues, reds, browns and yellows, and sort of a teal color in the fins. Those are cool looking discus. They certainly have a wild flavor that I like.

pcsb23
02-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Very nice Al, very nice indeed :)

Eddie
02-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Awesome shots Al! Love how they are developing, their pattern and color is really coming in. They are beautiful!

All the best,

Eddie

April
02-21-2010, 07:17 PM
they are very cute. looking good. are you feeding them beefheart ? bit of everything?

brewmaster15
02-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys.:)

April,
They are currently on the 4X a day meal plan..

meal 1..morning surf and turf home-made mix
meal 2 .... brine shrimp or blood worms..keeps em regular
meal 3 .... commercial pellets..ocean nutrition formula one mostly
meal 4... Freeze dried Australian Black worms...of course!!!:)

-al

Tofe
02-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Al
They are coloring up nicely. Can not wait to see them

Brian

brewmaster15
02-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Al
They are coloring up nicely. Can not wait to see them

Brian hey Brian,
Thanks again for the help moving that 125g:):):):):)...saved my back and unnecessarily broken windows my friend ;)...It was good to talk with you earlier tonight!

-al

Scribbles
02-24-2010, 12:15 AM
I WANT! I WANT! I WANT! I love these discus! They have it all, shape, color, finage, pattern, and I love their eyes.

Chris

brewmaster15
03-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Been a couple of weeks since I posted pics..Colors are still coming in nicely...growing at a steady clip also.

Hope you like them,
al

brewmaster15
03-25-2010, 09:28 PM
A few More.....this will probably be their last night in the 75 gal...time to move them up to 125 gals.

-al

Larry Bugg
03-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Really coming along great Al. They are gorgeous.

Eddie
03-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Love that group Al! They are looking amazing and really coloring up nicely.

Thanks for the update!

Take care,

Eddie

brewmaster15
03-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Really coming along great Al. They are gorgeous.
Thanks Larry, I'm really happy with them so far. I think they'll be something real nice as adults.

They enjoy chowing down on the freeze dried blackworms too.;)

Love that group Al! They are looking amazing and really coloring up nicely.

Thanks for the update!

Take care,

Eddie Glad you like them Eddie...those wild crosses you got from Watanabe of T-Aqua are coming along nicely too!

best regards guys!
-al

ashaysathe
03-26-2010, 09:46 AM
What change in them in a month. Very nice going Al. Really cool. Your efforts are truly rewarding Al

May be NADA show needs a category of Wild Crosses.

Eddie
03-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Glad you like them Eddie...those wild crosses you got from Watanabe of T-Aqua are coming along nicely too!

best regards guys!
-al

Thanks Al, you helped me decide on getting them and I am glad I did!

All the best with yours!

Eddie

Alok
03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
The pictures don't do them justice, they are much much more beautiful to see in person. I couldn't take me eyes off them at the NEDA meeting! :D

brewmaster15
03-26-2010, 03:06 PM
What change in them in a month. Very nice going Al. Really cool. Your efforts are truly rewarding Al

May be NADA show needs a category of Wild Crosses. Thanks Ashay.:) Actually NADA does have a category these would fit in...I believe the open class..maybe next time around.

They've already won the most important award from me... "Favorite in Hatchery" award:)

Thanks Al, you helped me decide on getting them and I am glad I did!

All the best with yours!

Eddie well how about that....I can have a positive effect on someone!:D

the pictures don't do them justice, they are much much more beautiful to see in person. I couldn't take me eyes off them at the NEDA meeting! :D Thanks Alok! :):)

-al

blkrob
05-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Any updates???

Robert

brewmaster15
05-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Any updates???

Robert Yep... They are alive and well;):D

just kidding...I'll try and get some pics up the next day or so Rob..thanks for asking!:)

-al

YSS
05-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Very nice, Al. Are you going to put them on sale anytime soon?

brewmaster15
05-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Very nice, Al. Are you going to put them on sale anytime soon? Thanks! Not this group...They are future breeders I hope... at the least I need to raise them to full adulthood to see the pattern develop.

Thanks again!

-al

ockyra215
05-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Al,
Id love some of the ones you wont like for breeding ha ha just kidding buddy they look great!:D

discusmurderer
05-22-2010, 12:26 AM
hey Al, How come they are so small and putting on color already?. I had some juvies and they were one inch and they had no colors at all.

brewmaster15
05-22-2010, 07:56 AM
hey Al, How come they are so small and putting on color already?. I had some juvies and they were one inch and they had no colors at all.

Genetics and diet.:)

-al