PDA

View Full Version : how do you get medication out of a sponge filter.

discusjoe27
11-16-2009, 12:17 AM
I had 2 double sponge filters in my tank now I just have a single they are these http://www.kensfish.com/spongefiltpic/elitedouble.JPG well I had 2 of those in there so 4 sponges total, now I just have 2 in my 90 gallon.

I let my friend borrow one of them(2 sponges) to help seed a holding tank he had for the African Cichlids he got at the T.C.A. auction well he didn't have lids and put a VHO light over the tank. well one of the stupid cats jump on top of the tank, knocking the light in to the water. the light didn't break but my friend, used a hole bunch of dechlorinater and med type stuff for Africans.
is this double sponge unit I let him borrow still use-able if I can clean it etc, or should I just throw it in the trash, and order a new one from ken, or go up to petland where I can buy them, or just get one BIG BIG sponge.

rickztahone
11-16-2009, 03:09 AM
i would just buy a new one if it was me. i guess you could boil the sponges and use PP on the rest of the plastic stuff. it's completely up to you though

Eddie
11-16-2009, 04:35 AM
You can place the sponges in bowl of water and microwave it for several minutes. As far as the piping, you can clean it well with Rubbing Alcohol and a pipe cleaner, let it air dry and then rinse. ;)

Eddie

discusjoe27
11-16-2009, 06:05 AM
thanks, I'll try cleaning, I also remember that I can buy the replacement piping and sponges at petland to for something like 6.99-7.99 I might just do that, or go buy a big sponge as I plan to upgrade to a 125 gallon tank. found a lady selling one for $75.00 I emailed her and said is that firm and she goes well we where asking 75 make use a offer, I emailed her well I know 25 is to low, would you take $50.00 she goes if you want it you can have it for $40.00 so I'm hopefully going to pick it up if I can find a truck to carry it home in. then I will need to build a stand. will I need to buy a canister with that big of a tank?
I only plan to have 8 adults in it.

jeff@zina.com
11-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Go to Kensfish.com and order a couple ATI sponge filters, the HydroSponge Pro V is a good size, 2 in a 125 do fine. You won't pay much more than you'd pay for the parts for this filter.

Jeff

discusjoe27
11-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Go to Kensfish.com and order a couple ATI sponge filters, the HydroSponge Pro V is a good size, 2 in a 125 do fine. You won't pay much more than you'd pay for the parts for this filter.

Jeff

cool thanks.:)

rickztahone
11-16-2009, 07:03 PM
thanks, I'll try cleaning, I also remember that I can buy the replacement piping and sponges at petland to for something like 6.99-7.99 I might just do that, or go buy a big sponge as I plan to upgrade to a 125 gallon tank. found a lady selling one for $75.00 I emailed her and said is that firm and she goes well we where asking 75 make use a offer, I emailed her well I know 25 is to low, would you take $50.00 she goes if you want it you can have it for $40.00 so I'm hopefully going to pick it up if I can find a truck to carry it home in. then I will need to build a stand. will I need to buy a canister with that big of a tank?
I only plan to have 8 adults in it.

45 bucks for a 125g? i have never heard of such a great deal

discusjoe27
11-17-2009, 09:28 PM
not 45.00 $40.00 bucks. it has a broken mirror on the back of it. but as far as the tank goes it's still soild. just needs a cleaning, and they want it out of there apartment. so that's why it's so cheap. I also forgot that I already went out and bought one of those double sponges. i just could find it, till I started to dig under closes, and misc stuff. now I got it going in the tank.