PDA

View Full Version : Euruption Leopards vs. Red Spotted Greens

rwong2k
11-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Are Euruption Leopards or leopards just fancy (from selective breeding) from Domestic Red Spotted Greens?

thank-you
Raymond

Eddie
11-20-2009, 08:27 PM
I asked a similar question a while back. Maybe you can get some good info.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=70155

Eddie

rwong2k
11-20-2009, 08:33 PM
thanks for the link eddie!
helps a lot

Raymond

Lauren
11-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Are Euruption Leopards or leopards just fancy (from selective breeding) from Domestic Red Spotted Greens?

thank-you
Raymond

I find ths interesting. I just came back from a LFS that had(what I believe were) RSGs marked as "leopards".

j_li8
11-21-2009, 01:46 AM
From what i remember Kenny telling me when i asked him the same question this was his answer: "RSG's, Eruption Leopards and Leopards are very similar (as we can see). The difference between the three strains of fish are the spotting on the body of each. A Domestic RSG will have lines on the forehead leading to spots on the body. Whereas a Leopard does not have those lines and it is spotted there instead. The Eruption Leopard is a essentially a Leopard but the spotting pattern on the body is much more fine, sometimes they look like small lines, thus it has more."

I will also add the description about difference between the Penang Eruption and Eruption Leopard: "The difference between the two is how defined the spotting is on the body. The PE's spotting is much more clear and look like spots. Whereas the EL is sometime connected to look like small line. (as i mentioned above)"

If you see this thread Kenny, please correct me if i made a mistake or anyone for that matter.

HTH

rwong2k
11-21-2009, 02:26 AM
i guess where I wanted to ask is, are the 2 strains related or did they both come from wild red spotted greens? just the leopards strains is a fixed version of rsg's?

thank-you
Raymond

vss
11-21-2009, 06:32 AM
i guess where I wanted to ask is, are the 2 strains related or did they both come from wild red spotted greens? just the leopards strains is a fixed version of rsg's?

thank-you
Raymond

Yes I think they are related as all spotted fish are from wild RSG, yet there're still some diffferences. Leopard is RSG blooded fish, but not purely RSG blood.

The first domestic fish that's named as leopard is the WR19LS from the world wide fish farm. Its origin is a cross between different lines of wild RSG done by some people under Dr. Schmidt's name in former west Germany, and was later sent to WWFF in Hongkong and refined by WWFF. It has leopard-skin-like pattern formed by red spots and clustered big red spots on the body, which dinstinguishes this line from the domestic RSG. However, it is still a pure RSG blooded fish. And, it is not the leopard we see nowadays.

Later on people crossed the WR19LS with other strains like red turq to create new-looking strains like the red diamond, and also to improve the shape and robustness of the spotted line. Teoh Beng Chye bought some WR14RS (the red diamond made by WWFF, which is half WR19LS and half red turq blooded), and crossed it with Malaysia red turqs. He got some spotted offspring out of this cross, and later by selective breeding he fixed this character. This is the ancester of most of leopards we see nowadays. Sure it has RSG gene, but there're also other bloods involved like turq.

As for the eruption leopards, to my limited knowledge, they are the 9-bar spotted fish thrown by breeding a pair of 14 bar eruption LSS or by crossing a 14 bar eruption with a 9-bar leopard. As you know, the 14 bar snakeskin gene is not stable, and will always produce 9-bar offspring even when inbreeding.

HTH. Just sth I learned, might not be exactly the truth though. :)

-Xiaofei :)

kaceyo
11-21-2009, 08:30 PM
That's my understanding as well. Leopards (9 bar) thrown by LSS (14 bar)parents are called Eruption Leopards. The size of the spots has more to do with how many generations along that line is, or how refined it is, as breeders usually breed for large numbers of smaller spots.

Kacey

rwong2k
11-22-2009, 02:14 AM
wow Xiaofei and Kacey,

great comments,

thanks for contributing to this discussion,

just fascinating, I've had domestic RSG's before and now i currently own some types of leopards and they seem quite similar

hopefully I can get my euruption leopards to pair up and breed =)

Raymond