PDA

View Full Version : pairing behavior or pecking order status...

sthai75
11-23-2009, 06:02 PM
facts:

5 discus, two of which are 5-6inches/ other three 4inches.

fighting only occurs between the two biggies not so often. but the same two 4inchers as soon as they get into close proximity of eachother they face off and start ramming eachother repeatedly. They will not attack the other tank mates just fighting with the same fish.

QUESTION?

PECKING ORDER OR PAIRING SINCE THEY SEEM TO ONLY DOING THIS WITH ONE OTHER SPECIFIC DISCUS IN THE 55GALLON THEY ARE KEPT?

William Palumbo
11-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Sounds like a pecking order more than courtship...Bill

sthai75
11-23-2009, 06:23 PM
In the case of pecking order, is it male on male and female on female only or does this establishment of dominance include male on female fighting. 2ndly after this order has been obtained how long after can I hope for some pairing to occur. I'm so fascinated by they're behavior and this would possibly help me to figure out their sex. thanks.

Jhhnn
11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm with Bill. In my 2 tanks of discus, the top fish know they're, well, the top fish, and so does everybody else. They don't have to assert their dominance very often, it's just understood. It's the other, lesser individuals in the pecking order who have to work to achieve dominance...

Mating behavior is different. With my one known pair, it started out with them engaging in frequent if gentle tail lashing, then just kinda hanging out together, directing their aggression outward, not towards each other, claiming one end of the tank as their own. Finally moved to that dance move thing they do- approach head-on, head raised, ascending in the water column, then quickly turning head down and descending as they pass. It's unmistakable. Later quivering, pecking at an egg laying site together...

sthai75
11-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Thank you for your input clear and consise.