PDA

View Full Version : Qestion about water/ fish

nwdiscus101
11-23-2009, 08:42 PM
HEY THRE ALL YOU DISCU LOVERS!!!:)....... I have a 55 gallon fsh tank that i set up in Feburary. Eve sice i got it, i knew i would have discus. That dream came true..( during the sumer) and end very quicly in August. Forsme reaso, my discs were getting their scales popped off. It was very wierd, and not a single pet stor new what was up. Soow i havestarted again and have 1 plain jane blue discus. MY water i a little ery ad iont now why. I was wondering when i should buy my next disucs...should i let new 1 alone for a month?..or get another one asap?....Sory aboutt long post, ut like all you at there..i woul like a beautiful discus tank :) :D:D:D

THANKS!!!!!!
Tank:
- ph: 6.6
- water soft
- 81 degrees
- few plants ( another story)
- 7 cardnal tetras and 3 neon tetras
everyting else normal
- marineland 220 c-series
- occansionaly emperor 400

exv152
11-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Having trouble reading your post, what exactly was wrong with your discus? The scales were popping off? Is this correct?

David Rose
11-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Welcome to SD nwdiscus101!

What do you mean when you say, "MY water i a little ery ad iont now why."? How long have you had your fish and are they all healthy now?

If your filter/tank is cycled and water parameters are good, you should be able to add more discus. I would recommend your temperature be a little higher at 82-84 degrees for adults and 86 for juvenilles.

I hope this helps, but will look forward to your responses.

Good luck!

nwdiscus101
11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
sorry guys....... my keyboard was messing up:angry:...i ment to say that my water was murky...another question :)....what is a good/ reliable online store to order fancier discus?...THANKS! :angel:

Eddie
11-24-2009, 09:20 PM
sorry guys....... my keyboard was messing up:angry:...i ment to say that my water was murky...another question :)....what is a good/ reliable online store to order fancier discus?...THANKS! :angel:

Fancier discus....you mean as in more of a variety or quality? Either way, any of the Simply Sponsors will get you what you need!

Eddie

Scribbles
11-25-2009, 05:58 AM
Welcome to Simply Discus nwdiscus101! I don't know what strains of discus that you are looking for but check out the sponsor's section. They have a variety of strains and are great to deal with.

Chris

mmorris
11-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Do you know why your water was murky and have you resolved that problem? When did the last discus die? Did they all die and you just recently purchased the "plain Jane?" Or is that the only one left? Do you have a tank you can quarantine new arrivals separate from the one you now have? It would be a shame to get new discus and have them get sick and die because they caught what your old discus died of. Since you have one discus now I recommend you get five more. Discus don't do well in groups of fewer than six (although some will say five) and your tank isn't big enough for more. They feel secure in numbers, plus you need that many to spread the aggression around.

David Rose
11-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Murky water could be due to a number of things such as your filter not being fully cycled or over feeding etc. What are your water parameters?

Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates

nwdiscus101
11-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Unfortunatly i do not have a qurintine tank :(... the money is not there or the space to get one as of right now. My old discus died about...4 months ago.. sence then ive been trying to get my tank bcak on track. I have two discus currently that seem to be doing pretty well ( knock on wood )... and is it ok if i added some more discus..lets say around christmas?..or january?

David Rose
11-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Unfortunatly i do not have a qurintine tank :(... the money is not there or the space to get one as of right now. My old discus died about...4 months ago.. sence then ive been trying to get my tank bcak on track. I have two discus currently that seem to be doing pretty well ( knock on wood )... and is it ok if i added some more discus..lets say around christmas?..or january?

I applaud you for wanting to make sure your tank is good before adding more discus. That's definitely the right thing to do at this point. However, i would be impossible for us to recommend adding new discus not really knowing what the current status is of your tank.

For example:
What are you water parameters?
Is the water still murky?
What substrate are you using?
Are there any signs of illness currently?
Do your fish eat vigoursly?
What types of food do you feed and how often?
What is your water change and equipment cleaning routine?

Knowing some of these things may help in determining why you suffered previoius fish losses and help you get on track before adding new fish.

Best of luck,

nwdiscus101
11-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Water Peramiters:
6.6 ph
water- soft
nitrate- .10 ppm ( for plants)
nitrite- 0
IM using eco-complete substrate ( for plants)
Nova extreme 216 watt light fixture
loahces are dying randomly
Other fish seem to be doing fine
I have 2 turquose discus
What is a extremely colorful discus..but not to pricey??
I do water changes once a week..( 15%)
Marineland 220 c-series
Soon ( hopefully) magnum 350
I beleive that is about it...

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES!!
They hae been helpful :D

Eddie
11-27-2009, 08:33 PM
What is a extremely colorful discus..but not to pricey??

This all depends on what color you want, also...adult fish will be more colorful than young juvenile fish. Adult fish are more expensive.

Eddie