PDA

View Full Version : Hard Water Stains?

Angi
11-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Ok so I got my discus in a 10g tank, doing 2 75% WC's a day and feeding them anytime I even think they are looking at me lol the first 3 days they didn't eat at all, it's only day #5, anyway, about 2 days ago my tank and everything inside of it started getting this coating of hard water stains, like a build-up, in fact today right before the 2nd WC I used a razor blade to scrape the front panel and that's exactly what it felt like too, it's on the heater and the glass internal thermometer. So what's the deal? I do have really hard water but I have never had this problem in any of my other tanks, and I have several, Is it the heat? The 2 wc's a day? Was it not fully cycled? Is it...:confused: help! Any suggestions would be great, and much appreciated! =)

Harriett
11-25-2009, 12:50 PM
I am not sure what the brown residue is unless it's algae, you haven't posted how many discus or what size they are, but I can tell you that whatever else is going on, putting any number of discus in a 10g tank is going to be a nosedive. I would begin looking for a larger QT/grow out tank right now. If you are doing 2 water changes of 75%, it isn't much of an issue if it is cycled, if you have enough room for the discus. Rule of thumb: 10g/each discus that is 4+" in size, and even little 2" juvies need 3-4g per fish. Can you fill in the info so we can give you some help?
Harriett

akumastew
11-25-2009, 04:24 PM
I am not sure what the brown residue is unless it's algae, you haven't posted how many discus or what size they are, but I can tell you that whatever else is going on, putting any number of discus in a 10g tank is going to be a nosedive. I would begin looking for a larger QT/grow out tank right now. If you are doing 2 water changes of 75%, it isn't much of an issue if it is cycled, if you have enough room for the discus. Rule of thumb: 10g/each discus that is 4+" in size, and even little 2" juvies need 3-4g per fish. Can you fill in the info so we can give you some help?
Harriett

6 x 2" San Merah discus. (taken from Angi's other post)

Angi
11-25-2009, 06:19 PM
And it's not a brown residue, it's white.. it looks like a lime buildup. They are in this 10g tank because that's what I was told to put them in until they were 3" then they will go into a 29g to continue on to the 4-5" mark to then which they will be in the 75g planted, this is all in my introduction thread, I might be moving them sooner btw, but not until they are eating steadily and begging me for food like I know they should be, I am not going to put them under any more stress right now =)

Now back to the buildup, I just wish I knew if this was bad thing, I don't have this in ANY other tank I have so it's not making sense.

exv152
11-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Can you post a pic?

Angi
11-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Well, I think I am going to try to use a scrub brush and just scrub down the bottom and sides before each water change.. it still doesn't make sense why it's even there, but I suppose it really doesn't matter why it's there, I should just get rid of it =)

tdiscusman
11-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Angi,

If you suspect it's hard water stain, have you check to see how hard your water is? Do your discus look stressed?

Tony

Angi
11-27-2009, 05:01 PM
It's very hard, like 9, and no, they don't look stressed I guess, they have finally started begging me for food now haha I love it =) but ya, I scraped the whole inside of the tank out last night waterchange and today it's already all crusted over, I really don't understand.. why aren't my other tanks like this?

icemanx23
11-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Calcium deposits? Hardwater is high in calcium and maybe high temperature is causing this? I might be wrong.

Angi
11-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Could be, I didn't know if the temp caused that.. the tank is still at a cozy 89* I was going to put it back down to 86* here in a min during this WC so I guess we'll see, cuz the 75g is already at 86* in preparation for these guys some day and there's certainly no buildup in there =)