PDA

View Full Version : Good tank insulator?

DiscusKeeper403
11-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey guys,

It's getting cold down here and I need something to help insulate my tank during night time. I have been using blankets, but I stopped doing it after a blanket fell into a small uncovered space in the back of the tank and sucked up all the water which dripped all over my floor :mad:

I heard there is some kind of foam you can get and use silicone to make a sleeve around the tank. Does anyone know what kind of foam this is?

Thank you,

Connor

shorething
11-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I have used a product called Reflectix, it comes in a roll. It is similar to bubble wrap, with a reflective foil in the middle. My tanks are in my basement,so its a bit chilly down there. You can get it at Lowes, or Home Depot. I like the way it works very much.

DiscusKeeper403
11-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Hey thanks for the reply. Just did a google search on it and it looks like it should work. I assume it's like the stuff you use for your car windshield? Do you just use it inside out to trap heat?

jaykne
11-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Hey Connor they also have a blue styrofoam at lowes also that I used for a breeder tank just cut to size and use clear tape, not only does it insulate but makes a nice background, Larry.

jeff@zina.com
11-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Do you just use it inside out to trap heat?

Reflective side to the hot side.

Jeff

DiscusKeeper403
11-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys. Time for me to go see what I can find.