PDA

View Full Version : Week #25, Water Change #25... Plus a Surprise!

Chad Hughes
11-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Well, week/water change #25 came with a bit of a surprise!

I HAVE EGGS!

The pattern of the spawn is random. They got them on the heater cord, tank glass and in the plants. I doubt they are fertile due to the random patterns. I feel it would be hard for the male to keep up with the random female.

Anyway, attached are a few pictures o fhte eggs, suspected parents and a full tank shot. For the rest of you raising these beauties out, get ready! The breeding has begun! ;)

Best wishes!

Ed13
11-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Raising the bar on this contest Chad?! :D
Let us now if they are fertile.

BTW, I find it hilarious that the participant with the unconventional approach(at least when it comes to discus)gets the fish egg laying first;)

Chad Hughes
11-28-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure that being the first to have egg layers is part of the contest criteria, but I was certainly pleased to see them this morning! LOL!

There are no white eggs yet. Still rather clear/amber with a small dot in offset center. I just realized that they were laid right under the filter return. Can't be very good odds for fertilization in that current. I don't suspect that theat are fertile, but I'll keep an eye on them! You never know. I've heard some crazy breeding stories before.

Best wishes!

David Rose
11-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Well that is exciting news Chad.... Congrats!

wgtaylor
11-28-2009, 05:37 PM
That's great Chad. Discus look great.
You may have a couple tankfulls of contest discus before this is over.:D
Take care
Bill

Chad Hughes
11-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Well that is exciting news Chad.... Congrats!

Thanks David!

That's great Chad. Discus look great.
You may have a couple tankfulls of contest discus before this is over.:D
Take care
Bill

Bill,

I wouldn't have a problem with that! :)

I have a few folks in line for fry. This should really get them excited!

Best wishes!

DavidC
11-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Well, week/water change #25 came with a bit of a surprise!

I HAVE EGGS!

WHAT A BRAGGER??? why couldn't that have happened last night, while we were there?, maybe thats another reason to come on over and see your fish again, great work Chad, ill tell Juliet im sure she'll be excited!

DavidC
11-28-2009, 06:48 PM
oh plus if they are... I WANT SOME! and im sure my dad does as well but hey gotta watch out for myself, and wife;)

MRQuad
11-28-2009, 07:44 PM
hey, nice one chad! EGGS already?

man, you are doing an excellent care on these guys.. if ever you the fish able to hatch them, i might buy some from you.. great job bud!

Chad Hughes
11-28-2009, 08:22 PM
WHAT A BRAGGER??? why couldn't that have happened last night, while we were there?, maybe thats another reason to come on over and see your fish again, great work Chad, ill tell Juliet im sure she'll be excited!

LOL! I know! We sat there for the better part of an hour and nothing. Definately happened early this morning. You guys are their inspiration! LOL! Would have loved to see the whole episode in person.

oh plus if they are... I WANT SOME! and im sure my dad does as well but hey gotta watch out for myself, and wife;)

You guys are on the list! LOL!

hey, nice one chad! EGGS already?

man, you are doing an excellent care on these guys.. if ever you the fish able to hatch them, i might buy some from you.. great job bud!

Marvin,

Good to hear from you my friend! I'll certainly get you hooked up with some once I get a successful spawn.

Best wishes!

DavidC
11-28-2009, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=Chad Hughes;590557]LOL! I know! We sat there for the better part of an hour and nothing. Definately happened early this morning. You guys are their inspiration! LOL! Would have loved to see the whole episode in person.

Now if only we can be that kind of inspiration for the dogs !!! ;)

ps: this is Juliet :D

Chad Hughes
11-28-2009, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=Chad Hughes;590557]LOL! I know! We sat there for the better part of an hour and nothing. Definately happened early this morning. You guys are their inspiration! LOL! Would have loved to see the whole episode in person.

Now if only we can be that kind of inspiration for the dogs !!! ;)

ps: this is Juliet :D

LOL!

Hmmm.... I think the next heat we'll have to have a little assist. I actually feel more comforatable about a litter with this next heat. Last heat the female was still under 2 years of age. This coming heat she'll be at her prime!

I'll let you all know when that happens! LOL!

Have a great weekend.

Scribbles
11-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Absolutely amazing Chad! Don't albinos usualy take a little longer to mature? Your discus and tank are breathtaking and now your going to breed dogs too. What kind?

Chris

yeaboyt
11-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Congrats! Didn't think the egg laying would happen for a while. Put me on the list for some of their fry!

Chad Hughes
11-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Absolutely amazing Chad! Don't albinos usualy take a little longer to mature? Your discus and tank are breathtaking and now your going to breed dogs too. What kind?

Chris

Chris,

I don't have too much experience with growing out albinos to breeding. Only what I have read. I figured the same and was rather shocked to see eggs today. I really am not entirely sure how old these fish are, but they are laying eggs. That's maturity.

Thanks for the kind words on the tank! Yes, I have Labs and am planning on breeding them. I actualy bough these dogs for breeding. My chocolate is a silver. Check them out on line! They are beautiful!

Best wishes!

Congrats! Didn't think the egg laying would happen for a while. Put me on the list for some of their fry!

Hey Bert! You go it!! I was expecting the first attempt at spawning around Christmas. I guess I underestimated these guys and gals. :o

Best wishes!

Chad Hughes
11-30-2009, 01:02 PM
As of this morning, all eggs are white. I figured they couldn't possibly be fertile with the random patterns plus they are located right under the filter return. Just about an impossible scenario.

Anyway, these fish still seem too young to breed to me but then again I really am not sure how old they are. They are all over 6", so they are adults! One good thing I can say for them is that they are not egg eaters. At least not the first time around. LOL!

Best wishes!

Harriett
11-30-2009, 02:15 PM
I am beyond excited! What a great sign for the future!
Best regards,
Harriett

Ed13
11-30-2009, 02:19 PM
It's a shame Chad but, at least they didn't ate the eggs.

Chad Hughes
11-30-2009, 04:54 PM
I am beyond excited! What a great sign for the future!
Best regards,
Harriett

Harriett,

I knew you would be! :)

Once the contest is complete I'll focus on breeding them.

It's a shame Chad but, at least they didn't ate the eggs.

Very true my friend! Very true.

Best wishes!

David Rose
11-30-2009, 10:39 PM
So it seems a lot of folks got eggs for the Thanksgiving holiday, but I have to ask.... does it ever get easier with the ups and downs... I know I've been very excited every time my female lays eggs and I always hope for success each and every time. With laying eggs every week, I'm going to have totally white hair or none at all before too long. :o

Good luck Chad... I'm sure it won't be long before your telling us you have wrigglers with this bunch!

Chad Hughes
11-30-2009, 11:20 PM
So it seems a lot of folks got eggs for the Thanksgiving holiday, but I have to ask.... does it ever get easier with the ups and downs... I know I've been very excited every time my female lays eggs and I always hope for success each and every time. With laying eggs every week, I'm going to have totally white hair or none at all before too long. :o

Good luck Chad... I'm sure it won't be long before your telling us you have wrigglers with this bunch!

Good question David.

I think what happens is you sort of become numb to the process. I can remember when I had my very first egg laying discus in a community tank. It was very exciting and I was disappointed everytime something went wrong. I wasn't really trying at that point, but it still takes it's toll on you.

Anyway, hundreds of spawns have taken place in my tanks and now, unless I am really trying to get a spawn out of a specific pair, I don't do much. I like to let nature take it's course and if it's meant to be, it will be.

I know that just sounds frustrating, but it won't a few years down the road. LOL!

Best wishes my friend!

Eddie
12-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Thats cool your fish are spawning Chad, as someone mentioned, growing out some babies from them would definitely have you up a notch! :D

They look great and take care,

Eddie

Chad Hughes
12-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Thats cool your fish are spawning Chad, as someone mentioned, growing out some babies from them would definitely have you up a notch! :D

They look great and take care,

Eddie

Thanks Eddie!

Not too sure that spawning these guys/gals has anything to do with the contest though. From what I understand the fish from the contest will be rated like any fish submitted for scoring through the university. Spawning is never considered in that rating.

None the less, I know I'm going to have at leat one pair out of this group. That's a great prize in itself! :D Thanks for the kind words Eddie!

Best wishes!

calihawker
12-01-2009, 08:48 PM
That's totally awesome chad! I'm hoping a new environment with plants and other stuff will spur mine along as well. Great job bro!!

Chad Hughes
12-01-2009, 10:08 PM
That's totally awesome chad! I'm hoping a new environment with plants and other stuff will spur mine along as well. Great job bro!!

Hey Steve!

Thanks brother! I'm sure it won't be long and everyone will have spawning going on. I guess the only thing that would change that would be if you got all males. What are the odds? LOL!

Looking forward to checking out the new setup! Keep us posted!

Best wishes!

Disgirl
12-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Gee Chad, I just saw this post (have been really busy lately and not much SD time). That is great to see and hear about your "youngsters" spawning. Wonder if your planted tank is making a difference in their being ready before others in bare tanks? First pic I have seen of your whole tank, top and stand. Really nice!!
Barb:)

Chad Hughes
12-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Gee Chad, I just saw this post (have been really busy lately and not much SD time). That is great to see and hear about your "youngsters" spawning. Wonder if your planted tank is making a difference in their being ready before others in bare tanks? First pic I have seen of your whole tank, top and stand. Really nice!!
Barb:)

Thanks Barb!

I do get a lot of spawns in planted tanks since that's typically where I keep my adults. Couldn't say if that is an influence or not.

Thanks for the compliments!

Best wishes!

fishyj
12-02-2009, 02:32 AM
Great to hear Chad about the eggs. Sorry their not fertile but at least you got them. Now thats you and Evelyn having eggs laid. Trying to put pressure on us or what. (lol) By the way your fish and tank are stunning.

Chad Hughes
12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Great to hear Chad about the eggs. Sorry their not fertile but at least you got them. Now thats you and Evelyn having eggs laid. Trying to put pressure on us or what. (lol) By the way your fish and tank are stunning.

LOL! Sorry Jim! Wasn't my fault! These guys/gals have a mind of their own! I'm sure your's aren't too far behind!

Best wishes!

MRQuad
12-05-2009, 03:04 PM
again, two thumbs up for you bud!

don't you dare forget me if you have spawn.. (seriously):p

Chad Hughes
12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
again, two thumbs up for you bud!

don't you dare forget me if you have spawn.. (seriously):p

You got it Marvin! ;)

Harriett
12-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Uh, Chad....looking at your avatar change...gotta tell you, he's looking a little maniacal there. You ok? LOL
Harriett

Chad Hughes
12-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Uh, Chad....looking at your avatar change...gotta tell you, he's looking a little maniacal there. You ok? LOL
Harriett

LOL! I was going for the Navy Pirate look. I guess it made me look a little crazy? LOL! You know how the holidays are!

Best wishes!

Harriett
12-08-2009, 04:40 PM
OK, now I have the context...a little mania is probably called for, considering the venue and the players, huh?
LOL
Harriett

hedut
12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
CONGRATZ Chad :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Chad Hughes
12-10-2009, 06:32 PM
OK, now I have the context...a little mania is probably called for, considering the venue and the players, huh?
LOL
Harriett

LOL! Very true!

Happy HOLIDAYS!

CONGRATZ Chad :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for the congrats!

Best wishes!

MostlyDiscus
12-10-2009, 06:38 PM
WOOT WOOT

DavidC
01-07-2010, 06:49 PM
oh chad, i know you were off for a few weeks from work, where are your updates??? ;) not to throw you under, just curious how you have been :)

Chad Hughes
01-08-2010, 12:05 PM
oh chad, i know you were off for a few weeks from work, where are your updates??? ;) not to throw you under, just curious how you have been :)

Hey David!

Finally got rid of all the holiday company and now I am going on the road for a week for work. I do plant to knock out a water change and make an update before I leave though. Look for it this weekend.

Hope you had a great holiday!

Best wishes!

DavidC
01-08-2010, 02:14 PM
yeah just started working again so hopefully soon when the wife goes back to work we will be stopping by to get more fish ;), family is good, Christmas was great, baby is happy and Michael is confused about the whole situation :D

Chad Hughes
01-17-2010, 09:53 PM
yeah just started working again so hopefully soon when the wife goes back to work we will be stopping by to get more fish ;), family is good, Christmas was great, baby is happy and Michael is confused about the whole situation :D

Sounds like things are going very well for you guys! I met the new addition!! He's perfect! Looks like he's due for a haircut already! Lol! Anyway, I just got back from being out of town all last week. I'll be posting updates tomorrow. Stay well!

Best wishes!

MRQuad
01-28-2010, 11:35 PM
hey,

i can't wait for your next update.. i'm pretty sure they are healthy and happy!

Cooldadddyfunk286
01-29-2010, 03:28 PM
ditto, Chad, what fish is that in your avatar?? is that one of the contest fish juced on red enhancer?!!! lol. probably not, but it kinda looks like one right?? LOL ;) some kind of marlboro?

cant wait for the update buddy, its been a while! :D

take care Chad.

Chad Hughes
01-29-2010, 05:13 PM
hey,

i can't wait for your next update.. i'm pretty sure they are healthy and happy!

All is well! Just haven't taken the time to snap any shots. I want to get a measurement as well. Hopefully tonight? Work has been nuts and I've been traveling a bunch. More to follow!

ditto, Chad, what fish is that in your avatar?? is that one of the contest fish juced on red enhancer?!!! lol. probably not, but it kinda looks like one right?? LOL ;) some kind of marlboro?

cant wait for the update buddy, its been a while! :D

take care Chad.

You hit the nail on the head! That is a Marlboro mutt. LOL! No enhancers though! I used to tetra bits through an auto feeder but stopped when I saw the color changes. I like to see the fish for what they really are. That guy is fed strictly my homemade BH. That's it!

Best wishes!

Scribbles
01-30-2010, 03:49 AM
All is well! Work has been nuts and I've been traveling a bunch. More to follow!

Good to hear. I was worried that you were on your way to Japan.

Chris

Chad Hughes
02-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Chris,

Thankfully the whole Japan thing is stalled, at least on my part. Don't think I'll be the one tagged for that duty.

Anyway, a new update will be posted this evening!

Best wishes!

Good to hear. I was worried that you were on your way to Japan.

Chris