PDA

View Full Version : Newer than New

Austintx
12-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Hello,
My name is Dave and I知 new to fish in general. I was at the LFS and I was going to get some basic easy fish when I came across the Discus tanks and they blew my mind. Now I can稚 get them out of my head and I知 going to start a Discus tank for sure.:)

I知 planning on getting a 120 gallon tank for a big display tank in the living room. I知 getting all my information together before I actually do it and these forums are awesome.

I will start asking questions as I get closer to putting everything together. I just wanted to say high to everyone and thanks for your help in the future.:D

Thanks

Moon
12-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Austin
Welcome to the forum. You will get some reallygood advice here. Do some research before you get into discus.

rickztahone
12-02-2009, 04:54 PM
hello Dave and welcome to SimplyDiscus

Austintx
12-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys, I'm reading a million posts to get all my information together.

These forums are amazing!:D

Cooldadddyfunk286
12-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Dave...welcome, welcome, welcome!! :D:D:) I was in your shoes about a year ago...theres something about the Discus fish that just GRABS you...its all over after that ;):D:)

this place is great right? youll find everything you need here.

Chad Hughes
12-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi there David!

Welcome to SD!

You've hit the best resource for discus knowledge that there is.

Enjoy!

csarkar001
12-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Welcome here, David!

i know this will be controversial but my suggestion is if you can find a way to keep the discus out of your head for one year while you keep other freshwater fish, your chances of succeeding with discus a year from now will be that much better.

Chandan

Austintx
12-02-2009, 07:46 PM
The game plan is to get like 30 red cardinal tetras at first. This way we can make sure the tank is ready for the Discus. I would rather lose some tetras then any of the Discus.

I hear what your saying. Gotta be smart with these fish.

jaykne
12-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Do lots of research and make sure when you are ready, buy from a good source never a pet shop, I am no expert but if you want some good advice PM me I don't want anyone to go what I went through, Larry

Eddie
12-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Welcome Austin! All I can say is read read read and read some more! The forum is an amazing resource and I'd also recommend some good books also.

Take care and all the best!

Eddie

Scribbles
12-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Welcome aboard David!

You will find lots of good info here to read. Check out fishless cycles to start up your tank. As the others have said read, read, read and feel free to ask questions.

Chris

samuelkl
12-04-2009, 08:27 PM
i would not recommend cycling your tank with cardinals, they are somewhat picky fish when it comes to water quality.

it seems like youre making this a community tank, i personally would recomend some sterbai corys and bristlenose plecos or l-168 plecos as clean up crew. remember to look through the forum on suitable tankmates for discus before you start buying fish.

migetguy
12-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Welcome to the Forum Austin.

Austintx
12-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it.

tcmemphisbbq
12-05-2009, 08:14 PM
This forum is great for learning :-) Welcome.

Jason K.
12-05-2009, 08:21 PM
welcome, i like you went through this not long ago. thanks to everyone here the discus have been a sucsess, (laying eggs, but still eating them.) read and ask as much as possible and it will work. happy holiday's dave, and everyone here.

mcishaque
12-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Welcome. I too am very new here.

But I've already started my humble setup, and am located in austin, Tx.

I'd be happy to show you my setup, and offer you what little that I've learned the the last three months of reading.

Networking is the best way to learn, with such information overload. Local networking, even better :-)

Welcome again.

Sheb-
512.413.8088 (feel free to call any time)

philip69285
12-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the Simply forum :). Its great to see you wondering the net and searching for answers rather then buying them and watching them die. I was there a year ago when I started with my 55gal and now I have a 120gal :). I recommend getting the discus from Kenny as his fish are amazing. Only one thats picky on its food is my checkerboard and Im letting it be picky as its the smaller one and needs to bulk up LOL. Soon you will have a nice little school of discus. Good luck with everything and if you even have any questions just ask them :).

mcishaque
12-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Philip,

Will you please look at my post here (I suspect you already have): http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=75653&highlight=austin

Do you make your own beef heart ?

What I'm trying to find out is : How messy is it really ? I noticed in the marketplace that one gentelman is offering home made BH (min 10lb order).

But I'm very torn about ordering that much, if my old back is not going to be able to deal w/ the resulting mess/cloudy water and subsequent gravel vacuuming.

If you do make/feed beef hear, any chance of posting a good video of a BH feeding session so I may observe and learn the effects - how "crazy" are the fish for BH, and water cloudiness/ how much hits the bottom immediately following a feeding ... ?

Thx - and yes, this is an AWESOME forum :-)

Austintx
12-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey,
Mcishaque, I might take you up on that offer. It would be really cool to see your setup. I'll save your number and give you a call sometime soon.

Thanks
David

tcyiu
12-08-2009, 10:09 PM
i would not recommend cycling your tank with cardinals, they are somewhat picky fish when it comes to water quality.

But that's the point. If the cardinals do well, the water quality must be pretty decent.

The one warning I do have re: cardinals is that they are wild caught and you never know what disease they might be harboring. I bought a school that pretty much died out in quarantine. I put the one survivor into my main tank and that guy pretty much wiped out my existing cardinal school, took out most of the sterbai and gave ich to the discus and clown loaches.

But if you do manage to get healthy cardinals and can keep them really happy, your water should be pretty good for discus.

Tim

Crstfr
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
The game plan is to get like 30 red cardinal tetras at first. This way we can make sure the tank is ready for the Discus. I would rather lose some tetras then any of the Discus.

I hear what your saying. Gotta be smart with these fish.

What up Austin~... i'm in South ATX ... i've had my tank up for about 8 yrs now, and have had discus in it for about 3....

you can see my tank here..... .. https://www.photoshop.com/user/crstfr

just click on my fishtank album... i've rescaped since there.. but it will give you an idea of how i'm rollin!.. haha

good luck man....

moik
12-09-2009, 11:01 AM
If you are a Newbie,,I will give you one of the best advice topics....DO NOT USE PP for any reason....I consider myself somewhat experienced and have killed fish too...Not as easy to learn to use the chemical..Results unpredictable...just my 2 cents..

David Rose
12-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Welcome to SD Dave and best of luck with your set up!

Austintx
12-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone.

Crstfr, Nice tank. Those Discus look awesome.

:)

mcishaque
12-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Met up with member sthai75 (Pflugerville area), yesterday evening. He has some realliy nice, good looking fish about 4.5 to 5.5 inches.

And now I'm jealous :-)

He showed me his setup, what his home made BH looks like and his feeding patterns.

Thanks, sthai75 !

And hey welcome CRSTFR. Photoshop link broken this morning, or is problem on my end ?

Crstfr
12-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks everyone.

Crstfr, Nice tank. Those Discus look awesome.

:)

Thanks man~... i watch it more than tv sometimes.... .. and it helps me tune out other things.... *Wink...... :argue:

Crstfr
12-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Met up with member sthai75 (Pflugerville area), yesterday evening. He has some realliy nice, good looking fish about 4.5 to 5.5 inches.

And now I'm jealous :-)

He showed me his setup, what his home made BH looks like and his feeding patterns.

Thanks, sthai75 !

And hey welcome CRSTFR. Photoshop link broken this morning, or is problem on my end ?

Hey thanks.... no its working.. i just checked it!