PDA

View Full Version : is it normal ?

shappers
12-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi
New to the board
New to discus keeping - but kept tropical community fish for a while.
Set up a new Discus tank, it cycled and my water levels are all good.
2 new discus went into the tank Sunday. They are 1 male - 1 female, and have paired up.
They were stressed at first, but settled within 36 hours. The male took until tonight to eat. He wasn't keen on beefheart, so about an hour ago I added some bloodworm and they both ate fine - then they started fighting (i think over the bloodworm), banged about - uprooted a plant and have marked one another. I moved a real slate cave the original owner gave me as the female hit it in the kerfuffle!.
After my arm went in they are now cuddled together at the side of the tank like nothing has happenned.
Is ths normal behaviour - or part of the stress of moving to a new tank. The original keeper advised they paired up 4-5 months back.

Chad Hughes
12-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Fighting amongst pairs is rather common. Sometimes they require brief seperation. A couple of weeks with a divider in the tank or completely seperate tanks can curb this agression. Did the seller state that they were agressive towards each other? Olso, have they carried any fry?

I once purchased a suspected pair that had laid eggs yet never carried fry. Once they were in my posession there was a ton of fighting. I tried seperation and that helped, but still no spwaning. They did display spawning activity, but nothing firm. I found that keeping them in a community tank with about 12 other discus helped the most. I have come to the conclusion that they are not a pair.

I guess my biggest question is, are you sure that you have a pair?

Hope that helps!

shappers
12-02-2009, 06:09 PM
was told they haven't spawned yet and are 16 mnths old (male) and 14 mnths (female)
he had many many tanks and had sexed them, and when they paired of in his large tank separated them as the male became agressive towards others
they've been very happy and peaceful until now - think i'd just put it down to stress of the move and adjusting - but it is wierd as the female seems dominant over the male now?
all seems back to normal for now but thinkin i should monitor it closely

silent_thunder
12-04-2009, 04:59 PM
was told they haven't spawned yet and are 16 mnths old (male) and 14 mnths (female)
he had many many tanks and had sexed them, and when they paired of in his large tank separated them as the male became agressive towards others
they've been very happy and peaceful until now - think i'd just put it down to stress of the move and adjusting - but it is wierd as the female seems dominant over the male now?
all seems back to normal for now but thinkin i should monitor it closely

maybe shes a domonatrix...or the just switch -L- cool beans...

now to be serious I do hope ya get a spawn outta them...

good luck

shappers
12-04-2009, 06:48 PM
she's definately the more stable one so far - and seems to have a real hold over him
he's a lot jumpier, she doesn't flinch!
he only picks at bloodworm - she eats the lions share, and flake, and beefheart
he'll probably settle, they've only been with me 5 days so far
they're always rubbing up against one another though - quite romantic :p

Chad Hughes
12-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Hmmm....

Well without even so much as egg laying, it's hard to say if they are a pair or not. Two discus in one tank that are not a pair can act very much like two discus that are paired and are in between breeding cycles.

It's hard to say.

Wish I had a solution for you!

shappers
12-08-2009, 06:05 PM
they're very much settled now - the male is a fussy eater still, but confident they're getting along fine
they seem to thrive when there's company settled in the room and a 42" tv is alight nearby, the rest of the time they cuddle up in the corner and take a while to come around and settle