PDA

View Full Version : ADA AquaSoil & Ammonium?

DonMD
12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I am getting ready to build a new aquascape in a 20x18x 20tall 30g tank. I ordered ADA Aquasoil ($ouch$), manzanita, and have sand, rocks, and my school of cardinal tetras. I am ordering plants from aquariumplants.com.

All the advice I've read on planted tank forums suggest waiting 4 weeks after initial setup before adding fish. When I asked about this, someone informed me that Aquasoil produces NH4 (ammonium) initially.

What I want to know is: After setting up the new tank with sand, aquasoil, manzanita and lots of plants, and after putting a tray of viable bacteria from my discus tank into the identical filter in the new tank, will the filter media be able to handle the NH4? Is there some other reason to wait before introducing fish?

I'm hoping SCOLLEY will come to my aid here:). Anyone else, please chime in:D -Don

theblondskeleton
12-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Amazonia does have high ammonia release the first couple of weeks. The only way to tell when it is safe to put your fish in is when the ammonia spike dissipates - this could take a few days, or it could take a few weeks. It all depends on your water, and the substrate itself. Adding established media will help speed it along, but there is no exact timeline for it. Just test ammonia until it drops off.

ChloroPhil
12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
If you can wait a couple weeks to put the fish in your tank you'll be better off. If not, loading up on used filter media, mulm from your current tank, a resin ammonia absorber, and lots of water changes should help. I had a talk with Amano at the '08 AGA about initial algae issues and he said doing a water change every other or every third day works for him. Personally, after going through a massive algae infestation the first time I used Aquasoil, I'm going to use new stuff to cycle the tank this next time and wait to add plants.

Cheers,
Phil

Lauren
12-03-2009, 08:05 PM
It will also lower your ph to I think 6.6-6.8?
I've heard people say they had ammonia spikes if they stirred the gravel too much later down the line too.

theblondskeleton
12-03-2009, 08:16 PM
It will lower your pH, but how much depends on your KH and GH. :)

ChloroPhil
12-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I've heard people say they had ammonia spikes if they stirred the gravel too much later down the line too.

Quoted for truth. I don't think this stuff is really meant for tanks that require a lot of uprooting. My tank had serious problems after a major uproot and replant session a couple of times.

DonMD
12-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Personally, after going through a massive algae infestation the first time I used Aquasoil, I'm going to use new stuff to cycle the tank this next time and wait to add plants.

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks, Phil. The "massive algae infestation" comment is bothersome:mad: It's curious that the substrate that's recommended above all others has these issues . . .:angry:

Lauren, I do not plan on doing any vacuuming of the substrate. This tank will be heavily planted, with aquasoil and sand, manzanita and rock. About one dozen cardinal tetras is all the fish, maybe a pleco. But I think I'll be doing lots of water changes at first, at least, and checking water parameters, and making sure not to add fish to a lethal environment.

Thanks to everyone who responded!:)

ChloroPhil
12-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Don,

Lots of people have had GREAT success with Aquasoil over the long haul. It's a fantastic substrate that I'd recommend to anyone willing to put out the money. The only real flaw is the initial ammonia output and algae bloom and massive disturbance issues. Any non-cycled planted tank will have serious algae problems in the first month as well as problems if the substrate's seriously disturbed and all the crap in it is kicked into the water. Aquasoil's no different, it's just, as Ricky Ricardo would say, "espensive".

scolley
12-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Don - here's a link (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showpost.php?p=370811&postcount=16) to another thread. It is a schedule that WORKS with aquasoils. Hope you're comfortable with Gantt charts, 'cuz it has one that describes how to go about the 1st 16 weeks in a tank with AS.

The only thing wrong with the schedule - IMO - is my calling for setting CO2 to 45 ppm should be 30 ppm. That and my calling for so many Oto cats and so many Amanos. Fewer will do. And be careful of the little "diamond" markers. Those are milestones. I've set them for when I think a milestone will occur - zero ppm NH4 indicating tank cycle - for instance. If that milestone happens sooner, later for you, all the things that happen after the milestone (follow the arrows), happen sooner/later as appropriate.

Good luck.

DonMD
12-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks, Steve, we'll give it a try!

ChloroPhil
12-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Steve,

You're my hero. Your diagrams rock the Kasbah, as they used to say.

kush
12-10-2009, 04:33 PM
....and wait to add plants.

Ammonium = plant food

If this is a heavily planted tank, with high-intensity lighting and CO2 injection, don't be surprised if you never read the ammonia spike.

Regardless, I'd hold off on the cardinals for awhile - they seem to be particularly sensitive to unbalanced water.