PDA

View Full Version : What media will "polish" my water

henpecked
12-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi,

I use an Emperor 400 and an AC110 on my 75g discus tank. My water is good and very clean, but I would like to know what media you guys recommend that I can add to my 2 filters to get that crystal clear look.

PS:I don't use RO.

Thanks

Schergeil
12-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Hey,
Carbon - the very fine one...

Jason
12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
hot magnum, vortex freedom filter, snd system 1 pressure filrer by Rena, should give your tank a good polish.

David Rose
12-06-2009, 07:32 PM
I would recommend a fine micro filter pad from another manufacturer as a make-shift insert to try first. They would require more frequent rinsing.

Some folks would use a micron filter such as a Vortex XL periodically as well, but personally, I like the Rena XP3 now after trying it, which you can purchase micro filters to use rather than the labor intensive Vortex.

Are you using pre-filters on your intake tubes as well?

zamboniMan
12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey,
Carbon - the very fine one...

I second that.

Or get a Magnum 350 and use the micron filter with a prefilter, and one of those fuzzy blue sleeves over it. This helps prevent it from clogging to an extent.

David Rose
12-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Activated carbon will not really polish water and I think most discus keepers only use AC intermittently to remove medications.

I have both the Emperor 400 and a AC70. Pre-filters are a must and for the Emperor, I purchased extra empty media cartridges and have Eheim substrat for biological filtration and a fine floss in the second for mechanical to work with the pre-filter.

Sharkbait
12-06-2009, 09:34 PM
I've always been curious about this too. My water isn't 'too' bad. Right now when I remove it, it's just has a very very faint tinge to it (probably from driftwood). I'm wanting to enhance the colour of the tank as well, so I'm hoping that when I switch out two 6700k lights for 10000k lights the colours will pop.

But anyway, for clarity...I run a Fluval FX5 on my 90 gallon planted. I don't run AC because it takes away the ferts that I dose. All I have for media are bioballs and sponge pads. I saw these "polishing pads" from fluval but I've heard that they are actually bad for the tank if you keep them in longer than a few days. Something about killing the bacteria I think.

What would you recommend for the FX5? or are all 'polishers' universal for all filters?

henpecked
12-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Thank you all for all the responses. Obviously, I'm not the only one who has thought about this. I will do some research on pre-filters and micron filters.

David Rose
12-06-2009, 09:46 PM
You might want to consider fine filter media sheets that are easily rinsed such as these at Jehmco. I would check our our sponsors on SD as well. I know Hans sells something that is great and similar to below.

Just cut to size, layer various types if you wish in a canister, and you're good. Doesn't Fluval have something like this available?

http://www.jehmco.com/html/accessories___media.html

dpt8
12-06-2009, 10:29 PM
A Polypad is excellent for poilishing water.. sold at fish supply places such as ThatPet, etc.

jeff@zina.com
12-07-2009, 11:36 AM
The classic is diatomaceous earth. Haven't seen it in the aquarium hobby for years. Personally, I use a HOT Magnum withe the micron filter.

Jeff

David Rose
12-07-2009, 11:53 AM
The classic is diatomaceous earth. Haven't seen it in the aquarium hobby for years. Personally, I use a HOT Magnum withe the micron filter.

Jeff

There are a number of folks on SD that have posted using DE and or the Vortex XL and love it. I'm not a fan however of the Vortex XL and think it's a PITA to handle, so it is sitting in storage collecting dust even though I waited months to get it on back order.

I've heard that the HOT Magnum does a great job, but I already have a Magnum 350 Deluxe and have had it for years. I tried the micron filter and it works well, but I found that using a micro polishing pad right in my HOB or canister works pretty darn well too without having to buy a different fitler all together.

rich815
12-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Buy a pouch of Purigen, put it in one of your filters with your media (make room by removing some media if needed. Get ready to be blown away the next day.

rich815
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Here's a link to the 100ml pouches I buy. I have one in each of my canisters.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCatalog/ctl3684/cp18423/si3568923/cl1/seachem_purigen__100ml?&query=Purigen&queryType=0&hits=12&offset=

henpecked
12-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Wow! Thanks to everyone for all your input. Glad to see I am not the only one obsessed with these fish and all that goes with it.

Rich, thanks for the link. Learned a lot from this thread.:)

Sharkbait
12-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Here's a link to the 100ml pouches I buy. I have one in each of my canisters.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCatalog/ctl3684/cp18423/si3568923/cl1/seachem_purigen__100ml?&query=Purigen&queryType=0&hits=12&offset=

So would this be beneficial for a planted tank? It says that it removes nitrates in addition to nitrites and ammonia....for me, I need nitrates in my water for the plants. How much of the trace elements does it remove?

This is the trouble with planted tanks...we need those minerals that can cause the water to not be clear for the plants' sake!

It also says that it becomes toxic when combined with slime coat additives? What products do this? I know salt adds slime coat....

Singin4Cnu
12-07-2009, 05:07 PM
I started using chemi-pure, on recommendation of the LFS I used to deal with for my Discus, in my tanks a few months ago and have never had water so clear.

Just a suggestion

~Singin4cnu

jeff@zina.com
12-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Purigen is fine in a planted tank. And it doesn't just remove the things the plants might use anyway, so it's beneficial even if the plants take in some of the nitrates.

However, planted tanks will always be slightly "clouded" by particulate matter that you can polish out of a non-planted tank.

Jeff

David Rose
12-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Do you want to be dependant on buying products more or less frequently? At least with a fine mesh media sheets mentioned earlier, they are plastic and easily rinsed for repeated use.

fishorama
12-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I use polyfil (pillow stuffing from Walmart) in AC hobs & Rena canisters to remove some of the particulates. It clogs fairly fast especially if too thick a layer is used. You can rinse it out but it's only $3 for a lot of it. I bought some cut to fit micron pads but haven't used it yet.

We used ChemiPure years ago when we had UGFs, it gave a nice polished look to the water. I have it now, like carbon, for only occasional use. I don't think I'd use it in a plant & fertilizer tank, it takes out too much good stuff for plants.

Sharkbait
12-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Hey David,

Yeah, I'd like to avoid being a slave to certain products...it's why I gave up carbon in the first place. I've got enough chemicals (mainly ferts) to upkeep with.

I dose with nitrates and phosphates in addition to traces (micro, macro, iron, etc). Would the media sheets remove those elements? My thinking is...I spend X amount of dollars on these ferts and then just have something in there that removes them? Kinda silly ;)

How long do you keep the sheets in before rinsing?

They don't remove beneficial bacteria do they?

David Rose
12-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey David,

Yeah, I'd like to avoid being a slave to certain products...it's why I gave up carbon in the first place. I've got enough chemicals (mainly ferts) to upkeep with.

I dose with nitrates and phosphates in addition to traces (micro, macro, iron, etc). Would the media sheets remove those elements? My thinking is...I spend X amount of dollars on these ferts and then just have something in there that removes them? Kinda silly ;)

How long do you keep the sheets in before rinsing?

They don't remove beneficial bacteria do they?

Hi Sharkbait,

I know other folks on SD that using these or similar media sheets that have the same concerns. They won't filter out your ferts, but will become home to beneficial bacteria as long as you don't rinse in city water having chlorine/chloramines.

I use them in my wet/dry sump above the drip plate.

Take care,

rich815
12-07-2009, 06:04 PM
So would this be beneficial for a planted tank? It says that it removes nitrates in addition to nitrites and ammonia....for me, I need nitrates in my water for the plants. How much of the trace elements does it remove?

This is the trouble with planted tanks...we need those minerals that can cause the water to not be clear for the plants' sake!

It also says that it becomes toxic when combined with slime coat additives? What products do this? I know salt adds slime coat....

I dose dry ferts using a more minimal EI dosing method. I've had Purigen packets in the canisters of these tanks for a while now, and I re-charge them every few months:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii147/rich815/IMG_0463-1.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii147/rich815/60P-2009-08-16.jpg

zamboniMan
12-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Activated carbon will not really polish water and I think most discus keepers only use AC intermittently to remove medications.

I have both the Emperor 400 and a AC70. Pre-filters are a must and for the Emperor, I purchased extra empty media cartridges and have Eheim substrat for biological filtration and a fine floss in the second for mechanical to work with the pre-filter.

In my expirence it's only effective at "polising" the water for the first 72 hours.

lemondiscus
12-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I second that.

Or get a Magnum 350 and use the micron filter with a prefilter, and one of those fuzzy blue sleeves over it. This helps prevent it from clogging to an extent.

That micron filter will clean some water! If your water is too full of sediment expect to be replacing that filter though quite a bit! I used this a few times (I have a Magnum 350) and it only takes a few days you will have crystal clear water... lol

Never thought about the blue thing.... good idea!

jeff@zina.com
12-08-2009, 12:17 PM
The Magnum Micron filters never need replacing, they can be washed out and reused. Don't use them with the blue foam, that defeats part of the purpose of the Micron filter.

Jeff

DHavens
12-08-2009, 07:00 PM
I am surprised no one mentioned one of these.....for some of us this is how our drinking water comes to us....diatomaceous earth
http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquarium-diatom-filters.html

David Rose
12-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I am surprised no one mentioned one of these.....for some of us this is how our drinking water comes to us....diatomaceous earth
http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquarium-diatom-filters.html

Actually, it was mentioned on page 1 of this thread and if you continue to click most models are out of stock regardless of what website you go to... :)

zamboniMan
12-09-2009, 01:10 AM
The Magnum Micron filters never need replacing, they can be washed out and reused. Don't use them with the blue foam, that defeats part of the purpose of the Micron filter.

Jeff

I use the blue thing because inevitably some good size particles get through the prefilter. By using the blue thing they get stuck in it not the micron filter. In my expirence the micron filter will have to be washed less often (good for me because of my lack of time) if the blue sleeve is over it. Plus it takes a good amount of bleach to clean the micron filter.

I can say though that after a year and a half I do need to replace the micron cartridge as parts of it have deteriorated from cleaning so many times (the folded pieces are cracked and have very little material left). I do admit though that I use it religiously and have no complaints about it except that sealing the canister gets trickier the older it gets (as with most if not all canister filters).

Merry Christmas!
Josh

jeff@zina.com
12-09-2009, 02:29 PM
...sealing the canister gets trickier the older it gets.

The nice thing about the Magnums is all the parts are easily available, and relatively cheap.

As for the diatomaceous earth, it's still heavily used for swimming pool filters, and you can get the media from most pool supply places. The problem is the proper containers, I haven't seen one for the Magnums for decades.

Jeff

David Rose
12-09-2009, 02:36 PM
The nice thing about the Magnums is all the parts are easily available, and relatively cheap.

As for the diatomaceous earth, it's still heavily used for swimming pool filters, and you can get the media from most pool supply places. The problem is the proper containers, I haven't seen one for the Magnums for decades.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Which container do you mean? Check out this site.

http://www.marineandreef.com/Marineland_Magnum_350_Filter_Parts_Canister_Filter _s/80.htm

Take care,

Bela
01-03-2010, 01:22 PM
One more vote for a Magnum 350 using the micron filter. I've used these for years on my Rift Lake tanks with great results. I also run a Vortex on it once in a while, but like the fact that the Mag 350 can be run continuously. The only problem I have with the Mag 350 is that, when new, I find they suck a lot of air into the canister (from God only knows where! Probably around the canister seal), but this often clears up in a week or so after the o-rings get settled.

I'm currently running a 350 on a sump under a 70 G Oceanic Tech, in the final chamber before return to the tank.

- KW

David Rose
01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Buy a pouch of Purigen, put it in one of your filters with your media (make room by removing some media if needed. Get ready to be blown away the next day.

After researching Purigen in more detail, I ordered some from Kensfish.com, one of our sponsors here who had the best pricing as well. I have to say that after trying it for a few weeks on my grow out tank, I like it! I espcecially like that it can be regenerated over and over again, so no more product to buy necessarily. However, it does pay to do research on Seachems website first because some dechlor prodructs will react with Purigen making it toxic.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Purigen.html

You might want to browse around the site as well to read other possible issues with pH buffers, if you use them.

Best of luck,
David

Sharkbait
01-03-2010, 08:51 PM
I have to agree....I put in Purigen in my tank and the water is polished! It is a planted tank though, so there will always be a couple particles floating around.

Pricey for us Canadians...100ml packages were 18 bucks plus tax. At least I won't be buying anymore though! Love the fact that I can regenerate it.

Also, my dosing schedule has not been affected and plants have not suffered.

David, which dechlor products are you talking about? I can't seem to find them on the website. I normally use Seachem Prime, but I've switched to Tailored Aquatics, "Vanquish" to try it out.

http://www.tailoredaquatics.com/index.html?a=0&d=88
(http://www.tailoredaquatics.com/index.html?a=0&d=88)

David Rose
01-03-2010, 09:05 PM
"...Only certain slime coat products will cause PurigenŽ to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. PrimeŽ and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem. If you're curious, what happens is that the amine compounds can strongly bind to the resin, then when they (the amines) come into contact with any chlorine they will form chloramines which are highly toxic. We offer a stress coat product, StressGuard™, which is not amine based and so can be used in conjunction with Purigen.™"

Check out the link above to read the Purigen FAQs page.

Sharkbait
01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks David :)

jeff@zina.com
01-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Hi Jeff,

Which container do you mean?

There used to be a container for diatomaceous earth, similar to the one for carbon. I don't think it's even been made since the early 1980's or before.

Jeff

zamboniMan
01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Why is it that they say not to run diatom filters all the time? I've used them on some of other chiclid tanks continuously without issue.

joanr
01-04-2010, 08:51 PM
I've heard that the powder will eventually take out some needed electrolytes from the water but with the w/c's we do with Discus I don't think that would matter. I run the HOT Micron polisher on the day that I don't do w/c, every other day on the 50 gal and the water params do not change at all. Just gives me really crystal clear water. Going to try the Purigen also, I've heard nothing but good reviews about it.

jeff@zina.com
01-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Why is it that they say not to run diatom filters all the time? I've used them on some of other chiclid tanks continuously without issue.

First, they're expensive to run. They clog sooner than most and need backwashing or media replacement fairly frequently. Th other reason is that diatoms can slip back into the water, and to a fish it's kind of like getting a little sand in your teeth, mostly annoying until you inhale enough and it clogs your lungs.

Diatom filters also have zero biological effect, they remove particulate matter only.

Jeff

zamboniMan
01-05-2010, 05:01 PM
First, they're expensive to run. They clog sooner than most and need backwashing or media replacement fairly frequently. Th other reason is that diatoms can slip back into the water, and to a fish it's kind of like getting a little sand in your teeth, mostly annoying until you inhale enough and it clogs your lungs.

Diatom filters also have zero biological effect, they remove particulate matter only.

Jeff

When I had them I'd clean them out with water changes. Maybe thats why I never had a problem? Or maybe I just always dodged the bullet :juggle: