PDA

View Full Version : 1st tank setup. Am I doing well?

canada11
12-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi Guys, I'm just starting out with the whole aquarium thing, and want to do it well. Before making any purchases I wanted to map everything out. Please let me know if I should make any changes or have some advice. Thanks

A) Size and material of tank – 55 gallon glass aquarium (15D x 48W x 20H)

B) Filtration – I am using a Mechanical filter. The Emperor by Marineland is best for me because it helps in the oxygenation process, it collects particles and debris in the water and you can also add a biological filter media (peat) to adjust or control acidity.

C) Lighting – 1 florescent light (how many watts?) – the plants need the light to thrive, however the fish do not like the light too much, because of this, I have given them plenty of shade through the plant material and driftwood.

D) Temperature Control – To control and maintain the temperature in my aquarium to 84 degrees Fahrenheit, I will use a 250 watt heater and thermometer.

E) Water Movement – I will have my filter on a low setting, as Discus prefer a slight circulation.

F) Substrate – 2/3 cm of fine gravel.

G) Livestock:
1. Fish – 6 Discus fish (Symphysodon discus)
2. Plants - Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis)
Amazon Swordplant (Echiodorus paniculatus)
Crytocoryne blassi

H) Other considerations:
1. Water parameters – Temperature between 82-86 degrees Fahrenheit, pH levels acidic, 6.0 – 7.5, ammonia levels 0.0, nitrite levels 0.0, nitrate levels <30 ppm, carbonate hardness 4 dCH total hardness not above 8 dH.
2. Feeding – Discuss need a diet rich in vitamins, if not; they are likely to get hole in the head disease. Feeding a variety of different food is beneficial to their growth and overall health. I would feed my discuss bloodworms, beef heart, and brine shrimp, one to two times daily as adults.
3. Maintenance –
Daily- Feed fish and monitor behavior, check temperature and operation of filters, pumps and heaters. Top up water levels.
Weekly- 25%-50% water changes. Test for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite etc.
Monthly- Clean out substrate during water changes. Clean filters, and media.

Thanks for your help :)

Double Up
12-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Whoa, Discus right off the bat huh? Hope ya read up. Sounds like a nice setup if you are diligent with your water changes. Is the aquarium properly cycled?

mmorris
12-08-2009, 10:47 PM
A) Size and material of tank – 55 gallon glass aquarium (15D x 48W x 20H)

C) Lighting – the plants need the light to thrive, ...the plant material and driftwood.

F) Substrate – 2/3 cm of fine gravel.

G) Livestock:
1. Fish – 6 Discus fish (Symphysodon discus)
2. Plants -
1. Water parameters – Temperature between 82-86 degrees Fahrenheit, pH levels acidic, 6.0 – 7.5, ammonia levels 0.0, nitrite levels 0.0, nitrate levels <30 ppm,
2. Feeding – Discuss need a diet rich in vitamins, if not; they are likely to get hole in the head disease. Feeding a variety of different food is beneficial to their growth and overall health. I would feed my discuss bloodworms, beef heart, and brine shrimp, one to two times daily as adults.
3. Maintenance –
Daily- Feed fish and monitor behavior, check temperature and operation of filters, pumps and heaters. Top up water levels.
Weekly- 25%-50% water changes. Test for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite etc.
Monthly- Clean out substrate during water changes. Clean filters, and media.

Thanks for your help :)

Personally, I think 55 gallons is too small for a planted discus tank. The substrate and wood all take up space, whereas a barebottom 55 is just large enough for 6 discus. Why are you thinking of such a wide range of ph and temp? Make sure the wc water is the same temp and ph as the water you are removing from the tank. One weekly 25-50% wc isn't enough. I recommend 3-4 50% wc's a week. Can I assume you plan on buying adults? You might want to include some vegetative matter in their diet.

ifixoldhouses
12-08-2009, 11:03 PM
I would start off with a cheaper fish, if your just starting with aquariums, and maybe just stick to fish as plants are a whole different ballgame, I kinda started the same way and lost a lot of money that way. I'd definitely get at least a 55 gallon and maybe start with some tetras or something and plan on adding discus in a few months, I would also use sand if you must have a substrate, easier to keep clean, gravel is a filthy mess. I've been keeping discus for 9 months and just now getting a handle on things, When I started I had a planted tank with gravel, and they were always sick, and dying, I haven't lost one in a while now except for that one who jumped out. just my 2 cents from a beginner prospective.

canada11
12-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks for your advice!
If i was to remove the plants from the aquarium. Would a light still be needed? If so, how many watts?

ifixoldhouses
12-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks for your advice!
If i was to remove the plants from the aquarium. Would a light still be needed? If so, how many watts?

just a standard aquarium light, that comes with the aquarium will do, they are like 30 or 40 watts all together.

Double Up
12-08-2009, 11:34 PM
That sucks that you had a jumper Brian, what did you say to him/her? j/k!
-Ian.

Singin4Cnu
12-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Bare bottom is def the way to go as a beginner. Plants are, like they said, a COMPLETELY different ball game, one that you do not want to play when starting with discus. I personally would add a little extra oxygen, maybe a sponge filter. Fairly cheap and not a bad thing to do for discus as they grow out. I usually go with the traditional all glass aquarium bulb as it has some cool blue and purple undertones that will really make your fish look nice, plus the light kit usually comes with the tank!

Just my 2 cents

~Singin4cnu

PS I would go with an aquaclear 110 unless you already have the filter listed.

Eddie
12-09-2009, 03:45 AM
6 discus.......what age?

akumastew
12-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Personally, I think 55 gallons is too small for a planted discus tank. The substrate and wood all take up space, whereas a barebottom 55 is just large enough for 6 discus. Why are you thinking of such a wide range of ph and temp? Make sure the wc water is the same temp and ph as the water you are removing from the tank. One weekly 25-50% wc isn't enough. I recommend 3-4 50% wc's a week. Can I assume you plan on buying adults? You might want to include some vegetative matter in their diet.

I think the stated ranges were numbers extracted form a google search, as opposed to ranges the OP was expecting to have in his aquarium.

But maybe I am mistaken.

April
12-20-2009, 01:04 PM
discus need even ph ..no ups and downs. they can have higher ph than stated in discus books or google searches as long as it remanins even. ups and downs they would get skittish..and stressed. your name is canada..where in canada do you live. if vancouver..soft water...needs a buffer or it crashes the ph. eastern or middle of canada..should be fine. to get good growth..you need daily wcs..at least 25 percent..and higher heat like 86 for juveniles. adult fish could go with 82. as stated..start simple and work up to plants. they dont like bioload. your filter has to be cycled..you could cycle it and learn on some small tetras or something..or read up on a fishless cycle process. if you dont..in about a week to 10 days..your discus will die of ammonia poinsoning.
discus are amazing fish..but do require a commitment of wcs. they need about 3 or more feedings a day as youngsters..and they create alot of waste. id also go with an aquaclear filter and maybe a hydro sponge filter with an air pump. then you could alternate rinsing the sponges so you dont lose your beneficial bacteria.

Singin4Cnu
12-20-2009, 01:56 PM
discus need even ph ..no ups and downs. they can have higher ph than stated in discus books or google searches as long as it remanins even. ups and downs they would get skittish..and stressed. your name is canada..where in canada do you live. if vancouver..soft water...needs a buffer or it crashes the ph. eastern or middle of canada..should be fine. to get good growth..you need daily wcs..at least 25 percent..and higher heat like 86 for juveniles. adult fish could go with 82. as stated..start simple and work up to plants. they dont like bioload. your filter has to be cycled..you could cycle it and learn on some small tetras or something..or read up on a fishless cycle process. if you dont..in about a week to 10 days..your discus will die of ammonia poinsoning.
discus are amazing fish..but do require a commitment of wcs. they need about 3 or more feedings a day as youngsters..and they create alot of waste. id also go with an aquaclear filter and maybe a hydro sponge filter with an air pump. then you could alternate rinsing the sponges so you dont lose your beneficial bacteria.

Or just rinse the sponges in the water that gets removed from the water changes so you never lose the beneficial bacteria.

JMO

pinoysport
12-20-2009, 03:12 PM
hey if you read up on it you might have a chance...I like the idea of cycling the tetras for a few months then adding your discus.

good luck man... send some pics..

zamboniMan
12-20-2009, 03:28 PM
I suggest you try something else. Maybe start with angel fish. They're nice and they're easy to keep. I personally don't find discus all that hard to keep but I don't recommend them to beginners just because they are expensive and can be picky. I suggest you try angels first because most people who can keep angels can keep discus (at least in my experience).

Planted tanks are a different beast. Nothing wrong with trying it to start with I know many successful aquarists who started with planted tanks and do just fine. Just know that you'll need more than just standard aquarium lighting to keep some plants. I see you want to start with crypts almost everything in the genus Cryptycorne does well under low lighting so that's probably a good start for you.

When you get into discus I suggest you start with adults as they (again in my experience) seem to tolerate more mistakes than juvies do.

Merry Christmas,
Josh

Tropheus
12-24-2009, 10:09 PM
More water changes, I think are in order. But having a good plan and sticking to it is Fantastic. Well, until everything goes wrong from some unseen variable, then heck with it. Better yet just get a screen saver....It's cheaper and the fish stay healthy and live forever.

Just kidding, have a Merry Christmas.:)

Tito
12-24-2009, 11:42 PM
ost of my worst experiences have been with Tropical fish. Ich and velvet can wipe them out in a cuople of days.

Discus are cichlids. Most cichlids that I have kept are pretty hardy, if....you stick to the basics. Good water parameters, constant water changes, proper aquascaping and filtration. Try not to brake the rules until you attain enough knowledge to know what you are doing.

What can you do with a 55 gallon? Depends on your experience - there are people that can keep 25 Discus in a 55 but that is a seasoned professional. If you are starting out - go textbook with a 55 gallon. Happy reading!

Jhhnn
12-27-2009, 04:33 PM
The first thing to figure out is what's most important- dreamy planted aquascape, or discus. Not that they're incompatible, but rather a lot more difficult when put together, a truly daunting task for a beginner. I still haven't moved up to planted tanks, myself, maybe never will. For me, it's about the discus.

Get the testkits to understand your water, explore your provider's website, if they have one. Domestic discus can thrive (if not successfully breed) in most water w/o alteration. Invest in the means to make water changes quick and easy- You'll never regret it down the road. Lots of alternatives in that regard. Read up, use your imagination to create a *system* that works for you.

Step up to a 75gal tank if it fits your budget. You won't regret that, either. It's a really good size for discus, for a lot of reasons. Use more than one filtration system. Get a good heater, like an Eheim Jager, and a temp controller to have backup heater control. I like the inexpensive finnex controllers from Kensfish. I also like their ATI stick-on LCD thermometers. Take your time cycling the tank, getting it ready for fish.

Get good stock from one of our sponsors. Buy half a dozen of the largest fish you can afford, all of the same variety, all at the same time. Quarantine becomes a non-issue.

Obviously, there's more, but that's what's worked for me. I'm still a beginner, myself, even though I've kept discus twice in the past, if not with the same success as today.

zamboniMan
01-02-2010, 02:18 AM
Obviously, there's more, but that's what's worked for me. I'm still a beginner, myself, even though I've kept discus twice in the past, if not with the same success as today.

I've found that when it comes to fish no ones really an expert on anything. Everyone has different experiences, practices, etc... There are just people who are more experienced and people who are less experienced. I think a lot of times hobbyists let themselves get caught up in what the "experts" say and then get frustrated when it doesn't work. I've noticed this is especially true when it comes to planted tanks. I've found the best thing is to listen to what other people do and try them until you find some way that works best for you.

HTH,
Josh