PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a Sump/Refugium...

rich_one
12-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Hello all,

Okay... here's the situation. On Saturday, I am heading to pick up my newly acquired 125 gallon aquarium setup. Sitting in my garage, in need of a cleaning, but certainly still of some use, is a 55 gallon aquarium.

It got me thinking that I can use it as a sump or refugium... or some combination thereof... for the 125 gallon tank... which, of course, will be for discus.

thing is... when it comes to anything close to engineering... carpentry... plumbing... basically, assembling complicated systems... well, I feel a bit initimidated and kinda dumb. Good news on that is that one of my very best friends is fluent in this area, so he will be helping me... er... I will be helping him out! I am sitting here basically trying to find what other people's systems look like and searching for schematics and basically trying to get an idea on how to go about getting this started, and what it might entail. Ideally, I'd like to go with some low light, nutrient soaking plant that grows fast (water sprite??? guppy grass???), and maybe even toss in some species of shrimp that can go at 84 degrees, and double as a supplemental food to the fish, while also causing little extra bioload! Or... should I just go with basic bioballs-type deal? This is very much in just the beginning thought stages, and so I suppose I am interested in what others are doing, and what suggestions folks may have. I really have no clue what I am really doing at this point, so I will stumbling through it, if you will, along the way.

Thanks for any input on this, as I continue to gather my thoughts and try to figure this thing out.

-Rich

Lauren
12-10-2009, 05:02 PM
As far a shrimp go.

American glass shrimp can tolerate 84. Green shrimp 82(and my guess 84 would be ok, but I'd look into it more), cherry reds 80+.

Greens and reds breed readily. Reds you could probably sell for 2-4$ each(my lfs sells them
for $7!). I don't know much about glass.

Things like crystal reds(bee shrimp) do not thrive at higher temps.

At 55gal even with bioballs you should have room for a refugium area.

DHavens
12-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm going to follow this too....I have recently aquired a 125 Reef Ready tank....and if I already didn't have a reef that's what it would be....:D

So I have 2 durso stand pipes and 2 3/4 returns and will be using the acrylic sump/ refugium that came with it....but this has me thinking about it in freshwater having a refugium.....Interested very much...and sorry to jack your thread.

rich_one
12-10-2009, 09:22 PM
no apology needed. we are all here to learn! I did not know cherries could do 84... now, if I start with juvies, I should have the temp at 86... no?

researching what others are doing... this looks like it could be a fun project. cannot wait to get started next month!