PDA

View Full Version : behaviour....

shappers
12-11-2009, 01:44 PM
got a pair of adult discus 2 weeks ago.
all has settled well in their tank.
over the last 2 days i've noticed changes in behaviour. when they're comfortable and settled, they're swimming up and down around one another - rising and falling in the tank - more and more frequently.
today the female is swimming up to the male and quivering 4 or 5 times - shaking her whole body - then swimming away
when they're doing this their stripes come out much more prominently
might this mean what i think it means?

William Palumbo
12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
If you're thinking breeding...you are correct. Just flirting for now. But a start. Good luck with the future spawn!...Bill

shappers
12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
If you're thinking breeding...you are correct. Just flirting for now. But a start. Good luck with the future spawn!...Bill

what signs should i look for to confirm the developing romance :angel:

sthai75
12-11-2009, 01:54 PM
"quivering and courtship swimming" SCORE!! You have the makeings of a potential adult breeding pair! Some people with 6 or more discus don't get the right mix of male and female and even then discus are picky about their mate. You got a pair right off the bat. How big are they and what kind? observe closely and see if there is any distiguishing trates that you can differentiate between male and female for this has many questioning. Congrats

shappers
12-11-2009, 02:28 PM
they came from an experienced discus breeder who needed tank space as they'd paired off
not the perfect pair breed wise im guessing - male red turk, female f1 santarem apparently
male about 5 inches diam - female about 4.5

akumastew
12-11-2009, 04:02 PM
when they're doing this their stripes come out much more prominently

Do the stripes come out for other people as well?