PDA

View Full Version : AmmonChlor for Fishless Cycling

David Rose
12-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi All:

For those who haven't tried AmmonChlor yet, I just wanted to let you know I used it recently in cycling my breeding tank sponges and it worked like a charm! No joke... it was simple and easy to use, but I found that it was a lot less hassle than using ammonia for the "fishless cycling" process and at least in my opinion didn't have the strong smell of pure ammonia. Given I have my breeding tank set up in my living room that was an added plus.

Now for those of you who like daily water parameter stats...sorry...I just assumed it would take about five weeks or so and buckled in for the long haul starting to test in the second week. That said, I brought my ammonia level up to 4ppm making the stock solution as per directions on the first day and let it do its thing from there.

I must stress that it is important to read and follow the directions because much to my surprise in the second week, the ammonia level started going down and nitrites going up. With this I messed up and added more stock solution, which is a "no no" and why reading and following the instructions is SO important because when I went to test three days later I had a nitrite spike off the chart. That said, I waited it out and when all was said and done still ended up with cycled sponges within five weeks. Based on this, it's my assumption that my sponges would have cycled much sooner than with pure ammonia and therefore it makes this product all the better.

Now for the other pluses :thumbsup:.... 1) you get a container with the AmmonChlor granules and a little goes a long way to get your stock solution with plenty of the remaining granules for future uses, 2) very reasonably priced considering #1, 3) the shelf life of the granules will not be an issue, so it will be there when you need it, 4) unlike ammonia, there is no need to ever add additional doses during the initial nitrogen cycling process; unless, you get cycled and don't plan on adding fish for awhile, 5) the container is compact and easy to store rather than a gallon bottle of ammonia that I wouldn't use for anything else, 6) the process is simplier than using pure ammonia, 7) the instructions are easy to follow assuming you read them unlike the typical male ;), 8) non-issue with worrying if it has suficants or is pure, 9) easy to find and purchase 10) great product support should you need it :thumbsup:

:gossip: So in my humble opinion and experience, spread the word. I think you'll love it when you need to cycle your filters and want to do it the healthy way!

http://www.ammonchlor.com/main_index.html and it can be found on eBay

MGKelly
12-13-2009, 08:22 PM
How long before the tank is cycled and you can safely add fish when using this product? Do you still have to wait the standard 4-5 weeks?

thnx, Joe

David Rose
12-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Normally the fishless cycle has easily taken me six weeks or more, but the AmmonChlor took five given my goof up in adding more stock solution that wasn't called for in the second week. I really think it would have been much shorter...like three weeks, but I'll have to let you know on the next cycling project or hopefully others who have purchased it will provide more details.

I could kick myself for not rereading the directions before doing anything but what was instructed.

David Rose
12-14-2009, 08:44 PM
How long before the tank is cycled and you can safely add fish when using this product? Do you still have to wait the standard 4-5 weeks?

thnx, Joe

Hi Joe,

This product goes through the ammonia and nitrite spikes as well, so you can't add fish until you get safe water parameters following the instructions.

All the best,
David

MGKelly
12-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi Joe,

This product goes through the ammonia and nitrite spikes as well, so you can't add fish until you get safe water parameters following the instructions.

All the best,
David

Thanks David,

I just receive my package of Ammonchlor and according to the instructions it looks like you can save a couple weeks on a cycle, but still have to make sure the tank is cycled properly.

I'm a bit confused at were it says you have to redose the tank daily to prevent a nitrite surge when fish are present, while the warning on the back of the instructions mentions NOT to use the product when water creatures are present.

I might have to give them a call.

Joe

David Rose
12-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks David,

I just receive my package of Ammonchlor and according to the instructions it looks like you can save a couple weeks on a cycle, but still have to make sure the tank is cycled properly.

I'm a bit confused at were it says you have to redose the tank daily to prevent a nitrite surge when fish are present, while the warning on the back of the instructions mentions NOT to use the product when water creatures are present.

I might have to give them a call.

Joe

I believe it says "If you are intending to add fish at a later date,....redose daily to prevent a nitrite spike when fish are added..."

This particular statement implies that you may not have your first fish inhabitants available once you have fully cycled your filter and it's telling you to keep adding a small amount of your stock solution to support your newly formed bacterial colony.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any more questions.
David

MGKelly
12-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks Dave,

That makes better sense now!

Joe

MGKelly
01-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Dave,

I started my cycle 12/24/09 with water at:
Nitrate = 10,
Nitrite = 0,
PH = 7.4,
Hardness = 100,
PPM = 200 and after adding the Ammonchlor, Ammonia = 5.0

After a water test today I'm at:
Nitrate = 40,
Nitrite = 50,
PH = 6.4,
Hardness = 100,
PPM = 100,
Ammonia = 0.3

I think i'm on track and just have to wait for the Nitrite levels to go down.
What do you think?

thanks, Joe

David Rose
01-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Sounds good... nitrites take longer to go down than the ammonia, which is where the patience comes in, but hopefully by the end of next week you should see them decreasing as well.

Keep me posted, when you have a moment Joe.

Thanks for the update.

David Rose
01-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Hi Joe,

I just noticed how much your pH has dropped from 7.4 to 6.4. You should add some crushed coral to keep it stable at 7 or over; otherwise, it could delay your cycling.

Hope this helps!

eleycat
06-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Hi,

I am about 2 weeks into cycling my first ever fish tank with ammonchlor and as per instructions have yet to retest the water. I was just wondering if you can tell me if it normal for the water to go a bit cloudy?

Ta,
This is all very new to me and I want to do the right thing by my fish.

DiscusLoverJeff
06-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Welcome to SD.

Cloudy water in normal and will go away eventually.

eleycat
06-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Brilliant! I was hoping this was the case! I will be testing in a couple of days to see where things are at...fingers crossed all is progressing well in there!!
Thanks for the help!

eleycat
06-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Hi,

I am about 2 weeks into cycling my first ever fish tank with ammonchlor and as per instructions have yet to retest the water. I was just wondering if you can tell me if it normal for the water to go a bit cloudy?

Ta,
This is all very new to me and I want to do the right thing by my fish.

Ok so I have done my first water test 3 weeks after adding the ammonchlor.

Results are 4ppm Ammonia
0ppm Nitrites
0ppm Nitrates
and 8.0 pH

I was hoping to have seen some Nitrites by now at least and am wondering if high pH is my problem? If so what is the best way to bring it down and to get the process going??

I really want to get this tank cycled so I can get some fish in there!

Thanks

lipadj46
06-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Lower your ammonia to 2ppm and add a large bottle of tetra safe start

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code