PDA

View Full Version : What Filtration is Best...?

rich_one
12-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Well, initially, I was going to convert one of my 55 gallon's into a sump/refugium for my 125 gallon soon-to-be-discus tank.

Now, however, not so sure. The stand cannot accomodate the 55 gallon, as I thought it would when I saw the picture. While plenty long enough, it has dividers that would be no small task in removing... and I'm not sure I want to remove them. So, that said, the 55 gallon sump is out, unless I decide to attempt to remove the panels, or build a new stand... neither being my preference.

That said, I figured, what are the guys that really know what they are doing with discus using?

The plan for this tank if going to be very basic... barebottom, with branches of manzanita driftwood throughout, maybe with something like some anubias tied to the branches. That's it. I plan to do 25% water changes every other day (is that sufficient), and I hope to start with about 3.5" to 4" fish.

What filters do you all use... brand and type? I am really looking hard at Rena canisters, and also a really cool looking Eheim wet/dry style canister, given the size of this tank... but should I also use power filters as well?

I appreciate the input. Thanks!

-Rich

pcsb23
12-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Rich,

There are many people who rate the Rena filters, I'm not one of them. All I've ever had from them is grief, noisy, unreliable, inefficient and one leaked! They are also expensive in the UK.

I have used the eheim wet/dry filters and they are fantastic at bio filtration, possibly the most efficient cannister filter I have used for this. I am also a fan of the very simple eheim 2217 type filters, these are super efficient, easy to work on and very reliable, they are also reasonably cheap in the UK, not sure in the USA though. The 2217 is rated up to 160 gals so would be adequate on it's own, however they also do bigger versions the 2250 & 2260, though the 2250 would be more than adequate as it does up to around 270 gals.

As this sounds like a display tank then sponge filters are probably out, even though they are simple, efficent and cheap :)

I wouldn't bother with HOB's, only 'cos I don't like them.

rich_one
12-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Rich,

There are many people who rate the Rena filters, I'm not one of them. All I've ever had from them is grief, noisy, unreliable, inefficient and one leaked! They are also expensive in the UK.

I have used the eheim wet/dry filters and they are fantastic at bio filtration, possibly the most efficient cannister filter I have used for this. I am also a fan of the very simple eheim 2217 type filters, these are super efficient, easy to work on and very reliable, they are also reasonably cheap in the UK, not sure in the USA though. The 2217 is rated up to 160 gals so would be adequate on it's own, however they also do bigger versions the 2250 & 2260, though the 2250 would be more than adequate as it does up to around 270 gals.

As this sounds like a display tank then sponge filters are probably out, even though they are simple, efficent and cheap :)

I wouldn't bother with HOB's, only 'cos I don't like them.
cool... so a vote of confidence on that eheim wet/dry, huh? I have really been looking at it... it has great reviews... I am not thinking I am going to go in that direction then.

I can even sell the 55 for money to go towards buying it! :D

thanks for the input!

-Rich

Justice
12-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Just to keep My opinion short and sweet here are my votes of Confidence.

:thumbsup: Canister Filters = Eheim
:thumbsup: HOB Filters = Hagen AquaClear
:thumbsup: Sponge Filters = Hydro-Sponge Pro
:thumbsup: Pre-Filters = ATI Filter-Max III Pro

I do use other brands of filters, but those are My Personal Favorites!

rich_one
12-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Much appreciated.

All said so far then, here is my target:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753160&lmdn=Fish+Filtration+%26amp%3B+Circulation

Say... that, and maybe this with foam only:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754068&lmdn=Fish+Filtration+%26amp%3B+Circulation

This would be on a 7 ft. long, 125 gallon tank... do you think this is sufficient? Thinking of 10 3.5 to 4-inch or so discus only... from Hans, of course!

what do you think?

pcsb23
12-16-2009, 04:05 PM
The 2229 will be fine on that tank. :)

Justice
12-16-2009, 04:08 PM
IMHO, that EHEIM Pro along with the AquaClear 110 or 70 would give you very good filtration if You are set on running two Filters.

You said You would just run the Sponge in the AquaClear, I would recommend also running the Ceramic Rings along with the Sponge.

You probably have already planned on it, but just in case You have not, adding a couple Pre-Filters for both intake strainers on those two filters will be very beneficial.

Best of luck to you!

rich_one
12-16-2009, 04:20 PM
great! I'm happy with the selection then.

Since the tank is 7 ft. long, I thought the aquaclear would be good in getting some surface agitation going (but not too much to disturb the discus with too much flow), to help oxygenate the water. Having said that, would my long time preferred power filter... the Marineland Emperor filters... be a good choice here, since it has the biowheels, which are great at both collecting beneficial bacteria and wet/dry filtration, enriching the oxygen in the water, given the lower oxygen levels for the warmer water in this tank? I had been thinking maybe I will go aquaclear here, since many here seem to prefer them. my experience with them has not been that great. I have tried them on two separate occasions, and both times I have found them noisy (easy to fix though, but sitting something weighty on the lid... the thing tends to vibrate... go figure), and also they seem to break fast, as far as stop working... though, they are easy to get replaced for free.

thanks again for you all's guidance here... I really want to hit this one right from start to finish, so the discus are happy and showing it!

Justice
12-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't see a problem with the Marineland if that is what you prefer over the AquaClear. And I think they also have media baskets that you can use on the Marineland Filters in place of the Charcoal Cartridges. Just my 2 Cents again!

rich_one
12-16-2009, 04:49 PM
cool... thanks for the help... I think that's what I'm going to do then. Eheim Wet/Dry 2229, and a Marineland Emperor... the largest one... forget the model.

the advice was awesome and appreciated!

-Rich

rich815
12-16-2009, 05:11 PM
I love my Eheim 2026 and 2028 filters and hear good things on the wet-dry versions too. I also have a Rena XP3 that I got used and had leak/noise issues but I ordered up a new rubber ring kit, replaced them all myself in about 2 minutes and since it's been perfect. Slightly more noisy than the eheims but still very quiet. The Rena is a slight whish of water noise you can hear if you put your ear to the cabinet. Quiet but some definite noise. The eheims are so dead silient I have to put my hand on them to feel some vibration to be sure they are on....