PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing Manzanita Wood

Macca
12-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi all, i'm over in the UK and i've helped my son to establish his first discus tank. He's taken to it like a fish to water so to speak, and we're now planning for a larger living room set up (72" x 24" x 18"). My son is quite keen on trying to develop a mangrove type look to the tank but over here in the UK there isn't a great selection of wood to achieve that.

I've noticed that over there in the US Manzanita wood seems quite readily available, is safe for the aquarium, and gives a great look.

Does anyone know of suppliers that I could contact to price up a quantity of this with shipping to UK?

Cheers,

Macca

stephcps
12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Try Manzanita.com
Don't know if they will ship to you or not. But, they have sweet wood!!

Steph

darbex
12-17-2009, 02:11 AM
You could also try HAW a sponsor on here. I do not know if they will ship to UK but worth a shot its where I have gotten my pieces from.

Mark Webb
12-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi all, i'm over in the UK and i've helped my son to establish his first discus tank. He's taken to it like a fish to water so to speak, and we're now planning for a larger living room set up (72" x 24" x 18"). My son is quite keen on trying to develop a mangrove type look to the tank but over here in the UK there isn't a great selection of wood to achieve that.

I've noticed that over there in the US Manzanita wood seems quite readily available, is safe for the aquarium, and gives a great look.

Does anyone know of suppliers that I could contact to price up a quantity of this with shipping to UK?

Cheers,

Macca

I am also in the UK and have to agree with you about availabilty of wood. I am just setting up a 72" tank and I am having the same problem. If you find a good source please let me know and I'll do the same for you.

Mark Webb
12-17-2009, 07:55 AM
You could also try HAW a sponsor on here. I do not know if they will ship to UK but worth a shot its where I have gotten my pieces from.

Where can we find HAW ?

Macca
12-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi Mark, there was actually a lad with some manzanita on Ebay in the UK. I only found his ad after the sale had ended, I mailed him on it but it had been sold. He told me that he imported it from Manzanita.com so they must offer UK shipping.

I've mailed them but just waiting on a response. With todays's exchange rate their pricing is reasonable but the key is shipping cost bearing in mind there's 3% import duty and good old VAT to go as well.

Macca

Mark Webb
12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Hi Mark, there was actually a lad with some manzanita on Ebay in the UK. I only found his ad after the sale had ended, I mailed him on it but it had been sold. He told me that he imported it from Manzanita.com so they must offer UK shipping.

I've mailed them but just waiting on a response. With todays's exchange rate their pricing is reasonable but the key is shipping cost bearing in mind there's 3% import duty and good old VAT to go as well.

Macca

Thanks Macca, I emailed manzanita too.

Macca
12-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Wouldn't you know it, today my son took himself off to Pier Aquatics in Wigan UK (that'll mean more to the UK guys than other forum members) to pick up a couple of King Tiger Plecos. As well as coming home with four of em! he also came home with a superb lump of bog oak tucked under his arm, I guess his ideas have changed somewhat.

For you UK members, if you've not already checked out Pier Aquatics in Wigan is worth a trip. They bring in all sorts of hard to find fish specimens and if you time it right they clearly get some interesting wood too.

http://pieraquatics.org/

darbex
12-17-2009, 10:34 PM
http://www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com/
Ask for Dustin he is the owner

Macca
12-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Hey Mark, I found something you may be interested in. I'm ordering a Back to Nature 3D background from my Local shop and they use the wholesaler J&K aquatics. Whilst I was on J&K's website I had a quick loo to what woods they can access.

Check this out :-

http://shop.jnk-online.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=wine+wood

If that's of any interest to you then give them a ring and ask them which distributors they have in your area.

I picked some wood up on ebay recently and that may well be wine wood :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110466288026&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

very twisty and knarly, gonna look great stood vertically.

Macca

Mark Webb
12-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for that Macca..:thumbsup:

TURBOFROG
12-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Does anyone know if this wood on Manzanita.com is like a branch? im kinda looking for that effect.