PDA

View Full Version : Can Discus not eating, because under stress?

ramawo
12-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Hi, Im new for Discus. I have been keeping Planted Tanks almost 2 years. Monday, I pickup 6 Discus from LFS for my 90g planted tank. They are not eat at all and they look scare by Tankmate (large group of shcooling fish).

I keep about 50 Tetras (Rummynose, Neon, Yellow, Black) and Hengel's Rasbora.

Discus size,
2 Discus 3.5"
4 Discus 5.5"
The owner told me they are under year old.

Water Info,
Temp 80f
Ph 6.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 0

What should I do ?
Should I remove all schooling fish?

Appreciate any advise!

Thanks,
Ray

akumastew
12-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Ray

Do you know what the water parameters were in the tank here they came from?

Do you know what the hardness levels for your tank are?

Sometimes Discus can take a little while to settle in.

Mine took 48 hours before they would eat. I have seen people that have said their Discus have eaten the same day, and others have observed it takign longer.

I can't imagine them being scared of schooling fish, but I am not expert. ;)

joanr
12-16-2009, 04:27 PM
First off the tank temp is a tad low for juvie discus, average temps for juvies is 84-86F. The rummy nose could handle higher temps, not the neons, don't know about the rest of the tetras, you'd have to look it up. Higher temps stimulate juvie metabolic rates and that includes their appetites. They are also probably stressed from being moved etc., if and when they start to eat keep an eye on their poo looking for white poos, in the meantime call the LFS and check on what temps and ph they were being kept in at the store. Any changes should be gradual.

Finatic
12-16-2009, 04:58 PM
My discus I just got, shipped, which I would think is as stressful or more than a short trip from the LFS, took 5 days to finally eat. (I know they were eating beofre this, but they went out of their way to make sure I didnt see them eat).

They are just stressed from their trip and change. Up your water changes and make sure the temp is a little higher.

I just did this, and it worked!

zamboniMan
12-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Sometimes it can take a few days(tops) for discus to settle in.

Welcome and good luck!

Merry Christmas!
Josh

ramawo
12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks You for your adivse guys ! :)

Hi akumasske,
The LFS owner told me their ph 6.5

I don't know what hardness levels in my tank, but I am sure it's soft water because I use ADA soils.

Last night, I feed some for Hikari frozen brine shrimp for them. The small discus ate a bit. The big ones not even touch it!
I turn up the temp to 84f.... to see it can help.

I am thinking to make some homemade beefheart food for them.
My question is...
Should I cook all meat and seafood before mixed with vegs and other in ingredients ?

BTW, I will post some picture tonight

Thanks,
Ray

ramawo
12-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Welcome and good luck!

Merry Christmas!
Josh

Thanks Josh!

Hope you and your family have a wonderful holidays !

Ray

nlintgen
12-18-2009, 02:05 PM

I only have experience with the juvies currently in my quarantine tank, but agreed. It didn't take long for them to settle in... though I had to move stuff around quite a bit about a week in and they got shy again. Back to normal again now!