PDA

View Full Version : Resealing a 45 gallon

Singin4Cnu
12-16-2009, 04:28 PM
So, I came home for the holidays to find that my parents had torn down their 45 gallon tank due to a leak in the sealant. I want to reseal it and use it as the next step of grow out tank after my 29 for my recent fry. What would be the best material to use and what would the procedure be to clean and reseal.

Thanks!

~Singin4cnu

zamboniMan
12-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Silicon, the GE water stuff or the stuff labeled "Aquarium sealant" at your lfs. I would go with the latter to support your lfs. Trim the silicon on the inside of the tank using a razor blade. DO NOT TRY AND REMOVE THE SILICON FROM BETWEEN THE GLASS PANNELS. Apply sealent to inside. Run a finger from bottom to top ONCE.

You may consider resealing all the sides. If I find a leak I usually do just to be safe.

Good Luck!

Merry Christmas,
Josh

Singin4Cnu
12-16-2009, 11:37 PM
I read in another thread the the GE stuff was no good anymore. I would like to get something from lowes or home depot if possible as it will be MUCH cheaper. Suggestions?

PS it did have a leak so ill do all sides.

jeff@zina.com
12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
GE Silicone I, Window and Door, is safe. Remember that silicone doesn't stick to silicone, so you need to remove the existing silicone and bridge any that remains so the silicone is touching glass.

Jeff

Singin4Cnu
12-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Ok , thank you for the tip!

Appreciate it guys,

~Singin4cnu

jeff@zina.com
12-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Just a quick word on "safe" silicones. The difference between GE I and GE II is the material used to cure the silicone and the residual chemicals produced. Both are actually fish safe, but Silicone II has to be cured and then treated to remove byproducts, time consuming and tough to accomplish at home. So just use Silicone I.

The reason to use the Window and Door version is that the bathroom versions of almost all silicone sealers contain anti-mildew agents that will kill aquatic life (which is good if it's growing on your shower wall, not good if it's growing on your fish tank...).

DAP is the only manufacturer currently labeling a product as aquarium safe, and it's the same material that appears at your LFS in different packaging. You can get it in caulk-gun tubes but it's expensive and not available at your local box store. GE does not label its product as aquarium safe because of the legal department.

Jeff

Chad Adams
12-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Just a quick word on "safe" silicones. The difference between GE I and GE II is the material used to cure the silicone and the residual chemicals produced. Both are actually fish safe, but Silicone II has to be cured and then treated to remove byproducts, time consuming and tough to accomplish at home. So just use Silicone I.

The reason to use the Window and Door version is that the bathroom versions of almost all silicone sealers contain anti-mildew agents that will kill aquatic life (which is good if it's growing on your shower wall, not good if it's growing on your fish tank...).

DAP is the only manufacturer currently labeling a product as aquarium safe, and it's the same material that appears at your LFS in different packaging. You can get it in caulk-gun tubes but it's expensive and not available at your local box store. GE does not label its product as aquarium safe because of the legal department.

Jeff

Ditto!

Singin4Cnu
12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
What is the name of the DAP product that is labeled as safe for aquariums just in case the home depot doesnt have the GE when i go to get it?

Singin4Cnu
12-27-2009, 05:07 PM
So I started painting up the resealed tank and got a flat Krylon, little more light blue than the one most use. I have found that I have wasted almost an entire can on just the bottom of the tank getting it to not look patching when light is shown through it. Am I missing a trick or is this project just going to take a ton of paint?

jeff@zina.com
12-27-2009, 06:37 PM
What is the name of the DAP product that is labeled as safe for aquariums just in case the home depot doesnt have the GE when i go to get it?

It's DAP Household and Aquarium Sealer. And if Home Depot doesn't have GE silicone, ask them for it. They only have about 100 cases on the shelves. :)

Jeff

jeff@zina.com
12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Am I missing a trick or is this project just going to take a ton of paint?

It takes me 2-3 cans to do bottom, back and sides of a 55. Also, you won't normally see any light through the tank, so a little patchy is fine when you get it in place.

Jeff

Singin4Cnu
12-27-2009, 06:51 PM
The lights on the tank do not show the splotchiness? The stuff I found at Lowes is in 3 oz bottles bout 3.50 each. How much would I need for the 45 gallon?

Thanks
~Singin4cnu

Eddie
12-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Generally 2 cans will do the trick depending on the tank size. Even a light coat works. The light shining through is not a good gauge since the tank will not show this when the tank lights are on. It will look very clean once the tank is filled and lights on.

Eddie

Singin4Cnu
12-28-2009, 01:09 AM
Thats kinda what I thought. Thanks a bunch! Btw eddie, my pair seems to be breeding once a week steady. I may separate them and really give em a go. They laid again this weekend but I did not get the formalin in for several days and it seems most have turned white.. owell next time!

rickztahone
12-28-2009, 01:16 AM
plus 1 on the GE I silicone. i used a bunch, and i mean a bunch to do my wall divider.

David Rose
01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
So is this the GE 1 recommended?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhwZ1z11iha/R-100091111/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

jeff@zina.com
01-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Yep.

Jeff