PDA

View Full Version : Going to Discu Hans...Color Combination Recommendations?

Tropheus
12-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi Guys,

I am very lucky to live in Baltimore and have put together a discus tank. It's a 60 (4 feet) and I have had it set up for a while. It's aquascaped with pool sand, drift, smooth rocks and a couple small fakies. Anway, I have been going back and forth on color combos to buy as I will be driving the long 10 minutes to my appt on Saturday. What do you guys think as far as combos. I was thinking 5-6 fish 3-4 inches. I like Pigeos, cobalts, and snakeskin. But discus come in so many colors, I want all of them.

I could surround myself in tanks if my wife let me get away with it but for now I am limited to one living room tank. I have had many discus over the years without problems and am very familiar with their care. Color recommendations for this amount of fish would be much appreciated.

William Palumbo
12-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Lucky you!...I would say if your tank is decorated and planted, you may find the "natural" looking Discus to look nice in it, Like Hans's Santerems, or the Alenquers and Tefes. I have some of his Cobalts and WOW!...You will like those...Bill

alpine
12-17-2009, 06:56 PM
No Combination...just BLUES !!

Roberto.
have fun at Hans !

Tapout_mma
12-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Silver Pigeons, Blues, and Reds...You will be amazed with Hans facility...I visited a couple years back:bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2:

DiscusKeeper403
12-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Personally I would go for cobalts, red scribbelt, silver pigeons and brilliant turqs

bs6749
12-17-2009, 08:30 PM
When I get the opportunity to purchase some Stendkers from Hans they will be cobalts. I highly recommend that you do the same! They are stunning to say the least.

Also, I would recommend starting out with larger/adult fish. You may spend more but they are easier to take care of, especially in a planted tank. See what he has for wilds if anything left.

Eddie
12-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Blues!

Discus-Hans
12-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi Guys,
Color recommendations for this amount of fish would be much appreciated.

Mark?? :D taste you can't discuss you've to put in your tank what you like, good thing is we've a few samples here lol lol

Silver Pigeons, Blues, and Reds...You will be amazed with Hans facility...I visited a couple years back:bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2:

Chicago, IL? Is this Jason, holy crappele moony, where have you bine???
I can remember didn't you come to the basement or to the fish house???

Hans

TRUC10507
12-17-2009, 09:17 PM
You get what you like that it.

Tropheus
12-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for some of the choices. I really love the cobalts. It is supposed to snow but I really hope Hans is open because I have a 4x4 and have been looking forward to this for a couple weeks.

I think I like 2 cobalts, 2 pigeons, and 2 red turqs. Little bit of everything. I have another tank laying around and will probably set it up upstairs for more. I have a good history with Discus and raising from juvies but I think I am going to go with some medium sized fish because I just can't wait for these babies to color up.

Discus-Hans
12-17-2009, 09:52 PM
It is supposed to snow but I really hope Hans is open because I have a 4x4 and have been looking forward to this for a couple weeks.

Mark,

as long as my Discus don't walk to the fridge to get their own food and
they still don't manage to do their own water changes, my 2 cats (I've in the fish house) are not good either (and need food) so what ever happens, even if I've to walk, my fish get fed at least twice a day.

Hans

turtlestunts
12-17-2009, 10:01 PM
You are in for a treat Mark....whether it snows or not, make sure you leave your jacket/sweatshirt in the 4x4. Just got and enjoy the experience, then you will be able to choose between the vast number of beautiful fish Hans has.

Tropheus
12-17-2009, 10:55 PM
I know I know Saturday can't come fast enough. I am driving my wife nuts. I have the combo:

2 Blue Cobalts
1 Flachen
1 Pigeon Blood
1 Fire Red

That should do it All 4 inchers.

My next tank

1 blue pigeon
2 Red Turqs
1 blue snakeskin
2 blue cobalts

That should hold me over through the winter.:D The obsession has set in and I am going to need therapy knowing that I have access (Hans) in my backyard.

Wahter
12-17-2009, 10:57 PM
It'll be like going to the candy store! :)

Walter

yim11
12-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Ahhh yes, I recall doing the exact same thing about 4 months ago. I had everything planned out to the exact fish, size, even total dollar amount I was going to spend.

Looks good on paper but rarely works...Here's why:

The second you walk you are taken back by the sheer magnitude of the operation, once you start to grasp that you start to realize your predefined selections are probably going to change a bit. By the time you are about 1/2 way through the initial tour you don't even recall what you were planning to get in the first place. I took a pad and pen, wrote down the rows and tanks of fish I liked then narrowed that list down to what I could afford at that time. I can't wait to go back next year.

It's an amazing experience and we look forward to seeing what you get.

Thanks,
-jim

I know I know Saturday can't come fast enough. I am driving my wife nuts. I have the combo:

2 Blue Cobalts
1 Flachen
1 Pigeon Blood
1 Fire Red

That should do it All 4 inchers.

My next tank

1 blue pigeon
2 Red Turqs
1 blue snakeskin
2 blue cobalts

That should hold me over through the winter.:D The obsession has set in and I am going to need therapy knowing that I have access (Hans) in my backyard.

zamboniMan
12-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Cobalts, Blue diamonds, marlboro red, flachens, silver pidgeons. I like lighter colors if its dark sand/background or blues. No matter what you've got Hans has some amazing fish and I'm sure you'll be very happy. Make sure to put up pics when you get them.

Merry Christmas!
Josh

Scribbles
12-17-2009, 11:29 PM
The only problem will be limiting yourself to 5-6 fish. Get what you like. Can't wait to see the pics. Have fun!

Chris

Tapout_mma
12-18-2009, 02:34 AM
Mark?? :D taste you can't discuss you've to put in your tank what you like, good thing is we've a few samples here lol lol

Chicago, IL? Is this Jason, holy crappele moony, where have you bine???
I can remember didn't you come to the basement or to the fish house???

Hans

Yes Hans this is Jason...I want to make another trip out and purchase some big guys from you...My visit was at the fish house:thumbsup::thumbsup::santa:...Cool dude with awesome Discus

William Palumbo
12-18-2009, 02:37 AM
How long of a trip from Chicago to Hans?...Bill

Discus-Hans
12-18-2009, 03:44 AM
How long of a trip from Chicago to Hans?...Bill

I was at a show in Chicago, think it's a 12 hour drive, Jason flew and I think I picked him up from a hotel close to the airport,

Hans

Tito
12-18-2009, 09:18 AM
You might find that having all those colors may not do it for you - but you' have to experience it first.

I tried it - I now just want a tank full of Leopards. The older strain not the eruption types.

Leopards bring the best of both worlds - not too far from their wild couterparts and defintely domestic.

Cooldadddyfunk286
12-18-2009, 09:33 AM
I would do an all blue/green tank...maybe a few cobalts, flachens, flachen x snakes, brilliants, blue diamonds...

now THAT would be one hell of a tank! :D:D

Finatic
12-18-2009, 09:51 AM
My guess is, your going to walk through and look at all of the tanks, then find a couple of colors that you fall in love with. Buy the ones that really speak to what you visually like, and you will know when you see them!

rich_one
12-18-2009, 09:59 AM
This is crazy, dude... I'm excited for you, like I was going tomorrow myself! LOL...

whatever you choose, have fun, and we will all eagerly be waiting for pics of what you decided to go with! this is driving me nuts because I'll be heading to Hans facility late next month or so, but sometimes... like now... I am NOT a patient man! LOL...

Enjoy the visit, man!

-Rich

Tropheus
12-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Sleepless night ahead. I backed my pick-up into the parking spot to make sure that I could get out with all of the snow coming. I will probably be the only one on the road in the blizzard tomorrow. I can see the headlines now...

"Man Found Inside Truck Clutching Bag of Frozen Fish"

and the article would start. "The multi color dinner plate size fish were melted and pryed from the man's hands as he sat in a fixed gaze on the side of the road appearing mesmerized by the animals in his last minutes...." haha just a joke, I will be careful. But I cannot look at this beautiful tank without fish for one more day. It has been seasoned and running for 3 months.

Pics will be on the way as soon as I get them in their home and settled tomorrow. Heaven here I come :angel:

Justice
12-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Anything that is Blue! :D

Eddie
12-18-2009, 08:12 PM
:

ROTFLMAO....hey, is there a better way to go? No way!

Eddie

Discus-Hans
12-18-2009, 09:24 PM

Heaven here I come :angel:

Mark, for heaven sake, be careful, there are more days to come, if it's real bad, we set an other day,

Hans

Tropheus
12-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Oh no, by heaven, I meant your warehouse not the real thing. Just a play on words. Saying, Heaven (Your warehouse), here I come. My apologies. I will shut up now. :o

Scribbles
12-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Sleepless night ahead. I backed my pick-up into the parking spot to make sure that I could get out with all of the snow coming. I will probably be the only one on the road in the blizzard tomorrow. I can see the headlines now...

and the article would start. "The multi color dinner plate size fish were melted and pryed from the man's hands as he sat in a fixed gaze on the side of the road appearing mesmerized by the animals in his last minutes...." haha just a joke, I will be careful.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Chris

poconoboss
12-19-2009, 12:35 AM
My favorite strain from Hans is the Red Scribbled.

I've seen other strains just as nice from many sellers, but Hans' Red Scribbled are superior!

Case in point:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/New%20Joanne/DSC_0214.jpg

William Palumbo
12-19-2009, 12:41 AM
VERY sweet!...I asked Hans about those fish. A classic looking fish...Bill

Tropheus
12-19-2009, 11:54 PM
I made the trek in a nasty blizzzard. The normal 20 minute drive took all of an hour and a half. Hans met me at the door with a smile and a soda. After the tour and the story of how it all started, I walked between the tank with an orange soda in one hand and a napkin to wipe the steady flow of drool in the other.

As many can relate, I walked in with a plan and a wad of cash, and out with completely different fish and a burnt credit card. I had a GREAT TIME. I am convinced that the only people on the road today were me, Hans, and the snow plows. I couldn't believe the amount and quality of the fish. In another post, I asked what a Champion fish looked like? I saw them all in person and the awards to prove it. I planned on spending under $200 but that didn't happen so someone is gonna be ticked because they don't get a gift this year. My fiance will understand......I hope:D

Here is what I walked out with. 2 (4 inch) Brilliants, 1 (4 in) Blue Diamond "Private stock", and a (4 in) Pigeon Blood Red. All full color and A B S O L U T E L Y GORGEOUS. I will be posting picks tomorrow. Not only did they do fine with the transition to their new home, but they ate like pirhanna after an hour in the tank. Hans was also so kind to give me a beast of a slab of his secret recipe Discus Mash. The food smells so good, and I am so broke, it will make a great Christmas Dinner. Worth Every Single Penny and I am going back for some Snake Skins after I can divvy up the funds from my next check.

I learned three things today.

1. Never underestimate the power of the Discus Obsession in overcoming a blizzard dropping 24 inches of snow.

2. Hans is a wonderful person that I will be doing a lot of business with over the next few decades.

3. Hans must have the most frustrated cat in the world, patroling the fish daily and never getting a bite of anything that smells like German Discus.

Check back tomorrow for my pics. You guys have got to see these 4 fish. When you get to pick (In person) from 7000 discus, you can get the best. Fish stores pale in comparison to the choices I was able to make today.

Thank you Hans. Had a phenominal experience.

Discus-Hans
12-20-2009, 12:20 AM
I made the trek in a nasty blizzzard. The normal 20 minute drive took all of an hour and a half. Hans met me at the door with a smile and a soda. After the tour and the story of how it all started, I walked between the tank with an orange soda in one hand and a napkin to wipe the steady flow of drool in the other.

As many can relate, I walked in with a plan and a wad of cash, and out with completely different fish and a burnt credit card. I had a GREAT TIME. I am convinced that the only people on the road today were me, Hans, and the snow plows. I couldn't believe the amount and quality of the fish. In another post, I asked what a Champion fish looked like? I saw them all in person and the awards to prove it. I planned on spending under $200 but that didn't happen so someone is gonna be ticked because they don't get a gift this year. My fiance will understand......I hope:D

Here is what I walked out with. 2 (4-5 inch) Scribbleds, 1 (5 in) Blue Diamond "Private stock", and a (5 in) Pigeon Blood. All full color and A B S O L U T E L Y GORGEOUS. I will be posting picks tomorrow. Not only did they do fine with the transition to their new home, but they ate like pirhanna after an hour in the tank. Hans was also so kind to give me a beast of a slab of his secret recipe Discus Mash. The food smells so good, and I am so broke, it will make a great Christmas Dinner. Worth Every Single Penny and I am going back for some Snake Skins after I can divvy up the funds from my next check.

I learned three things today.

1. Never underestimate the power of the Discus Obsession in overcoming a blizzard dropping 24 inches of snow.

2. Hans is a wonderful person that I will be doing a lot of business with over the next few decades.

3. Hans must have the most frustrated cat in the world, patroling the fish daily and never getting a bite of anything that smells like German Discus.

Check back tomorrow for my pics. You guys have got to see these 4 fish. When you get to pick (In person) from 7000 discus, you can get the best. Fish stores pale in comparison to the choices I was able to make today.

Thank you Hans. Had a phenominal experience.

Hi Mark,

I'm glad the Discus came home well (and you too lol) now you were a little confused about it all but I didn't know you were THAT confused that you don't even know anymore WHAT you bought lol lol lol
2 Brilliants 4"
1 Diamond 4"
1 Pigeon red 4"

The Diamond was not from the private stock, we don't have a private stock, everything is for sale except the cats lol lol But it came from the grow out tanks.

Now I'm a little disappointed you forget to tell that our customer service goes so far that I even cleaned your car from 4" of snow before you left :D :D

Mark, was great meeting you and sorry I talk so much and kept you from the Discus lol lol

Hans

Tropheus
12-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Yes sir. Got it and corrections made to post. If I come in the summer, will you wash the car instead of just doing the windows? LOL. Have a great night Hans and thanks a million!:antlers:

Discus-Hans
12-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Yes sir. Got it and corrections made to post. If I come in the summer, will you wash the car instead of just doing the windows? LOL. Have a great night Hans and thanks a million!:antlers:

ha ha ha I don't wash cars, not even my own. My drive home by the way was pretty good, only I couldn't get my car on the drive way. Had it pretty good but HAD to do it better big mistake. It's now some were on mine and next doors but at least off the drive way.......most of it lol

Hans

zamboniMan
12-20-2009, 03:40 PM
As many can relate, I walked in with a plan and a wad of cash, and out with completely different fish and a burnt credit card.

This is why I haven't gotten a hold of Hans to set up a visit yet.

My fiance will understand......I hope:D

LOL Did she kick you and your discus to the curb? If she didn't maybe you should take her along next time...

Wahter
12-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Now I'm a little disappointed you forget to tell that our customer service goes so far that I even cleaned your car from 4" of snow before you left :D :D

Hans

Excellent!

Walter

Tropheus
12-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Zamboniman:

No, not kicked to the curb yet. But when she asks "What's this charge for Hans USA on the statement?" --- I am going to tell her that I bought her a spa day at a swank new Dutch Massage parlor for her birthday. Her birthday is in March so I will have time to stall and come up with something better. :o

But in all seriousness, if you are putting off a visit....DON'T. Hans has a Christmas special on some of the most unreal fish I have every seen. Huge and SPECTACULAR color and shape. Call him NOW. I saw them in person and the price is unthinkable.

zamboniMan
12-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Zamboniman:

No, not kicked to the curb yet. But when she asks "What's this charge for Hans USA on the statement?" --- I am going to tell her that I bought her a spa day at a swank new Dutch Massage parlor for her birthday. Her birthday is in March so I will have time to stall and come up with something better. :o

But in all seriousness, if you are putting off a visit....DON'T. Hans has a Christmas special on some of the most unreal fish I have every seen. Huge and SPECTACULAR color and shape. Call him NOW. I saw them in person and the price is unthinkable.

I know my girlfriend would be like "What about that dutch Massage". Be careful :-p

Unfortunatly I'm broke from christmas and being off work. Plus its at least 6 hours to Hans i think (Cincinnati to Baltimore) which is a trip I'm willing to make but can't afford right now.

Discus-Hans
12-22-2009, 01:40 AM
I know my girlfriend would be like "What about that dutch Massage". Be careful :-p

Unfortunatly I'm broke from christmas and being off work. Plus its at least 6 hours to Hans i think (Cincinnati to Baltimore) which is a trip I'm willing to make but can't afford right now.

Ask around, I get many "road trips" here, few guys (and girls) in a car and make a drive together, even crazy guys from Texas (Hi John + Jim lol).

Maybe you can get a few together for a ride,

Hans

philip69285
12-22-2009, 01:42 AM
any fish that catches your eye :). Thats what I do LOL.

zamboniMan
12-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Ask around, I get many "road trips" here, few guys (and girls) in a car and make a drive together, even crazy guys from Texas (Hi John + Jim lol).

Maybe you can get a few together for a ride,

Hans

I have someone to go with me but he's afraid of trying to keep discus... :rolleyes2:

Tropheus
12-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Tell him that you will keep the fish for him. Kind of a "Rent-A-Fish" program where he buys and you lease them in your tank for an extended period time with visiting hours, of course.:D

zamboniMan
12-24-2009, 02:11 PM
He likes them he just doesn't do well with fish.... Everytime he try angels they only last like 2 weeks. He was saying he wanted a planted discus tank eventually though so maybe I can convince him :-p