PDA

View Full Version : 82 Degrees

Tito
12-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Anybody keeping their Discus at 82 degrees?

If so how long?

Are there any changes if any in your fish?

joanr
12-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Only if treating for bacterial infections, otherwise it's 85 - 86 for juvies. Why do you want to do 82?

brewmaster15
12-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Tito,
My Breeders are at 81-82F pretty much all the time..though in the summer the temp in my fishroom is more in the 86F plus range...

Adults in general will do fine at the 82 F range for months on end, IME.

Hth,
al

Tito
12-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Oh man! Lucky me! The man himself.

Coming from you that holds a lot of weight.

Thanks Al.

I like to keep mine in 82 temps as well.

Tito
12-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Only if treating for bacterial infections, otherwise it's 85 - 86 for juvies. Why do you want to do 82?

Well - mostly because I have always believed it's all they need. Also - perhaps you'll find this interesting. Most fish we keep in aquariums from the Amazon have a recomended temp range of 78 to 82 degrees.....

Why not Discus? Many come from the same waters.

But let me add this before i goes in the wrong direction.

I'm not trying to bait or start arguments - I am genuinly interested to hear from those who keep their Discus at these temps and to see if they have anything negative that they may have found with this practice.

joanr
12-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Maybe because we all have these temps engrained onto us the moment we start reading about Discus keeping. Another thought would be to ward off ich and other pathogens that can't survive at higher temps? I don't know, never gave it much thought...until now.

DonMD
12-19-2009, 07:21 PM
I keep my 125 g display at 84 degrees, have had it there for a long time, and I see no problems. I do a prophylatic treatment with Metro once every 3-4 months, since I had such a problem with spiro n., and for that I raise the temp to 93 for the treatment of about 1 week, then it's back to 84. No problems since I began the regime, and so I continue . . .:)

Eddie
12-19-2009, 07:22 PM
fry - 88/89F
Juvie - 86/88F
Sub-adults - 86F
Adults - 82/84F

Just what I like to keep them at.

Eddie

Tito
12-19-2009, 07:42 PM
fry - 88/89F
Juvie - 86/88F
Sub-adults - 86F
Adults - 82/84F

Just what I like to keep them at.

Eddie

I know you said just what you like to keep them at - but I understand the logic. Just in case someone may not - the higher the temp the quicker the metabolism. Means eat more grow quicker in translation.

I like the way you ended with the adults:D

ref0716
12-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I keep a 100 gallon PLANTED display tank with adult discus at 82 degrees. The fish seem to do fine, and I do not think that the plants (Amazon swords and a few Anubias) would tolerate much higher temps. Has anyone attempted elevated temps in a planted tank on a long term basis? How about short time, like a week for treatment if necessary? Any problems?
All opinions appreciated.
Richard

rich815
12-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I keep a 100 gallon PLANTED display tank with adult discus at 82 degrees. The fish seem to do fine, and I do not think that the plants (Amazon swords and a few Anubias) would tolerate much higher temps. Has anyone attempted elevated temps in a planted tank on a long term basis? How about short time, like a week for treatment if necessary? Any problems?
All opinions appreciated.
Richard

Here is a list of the fish I have in my planted high-tech 72 gal tank with my 7 discus and they are all doing great at 84/85F:

Cardinal tetras
Golden tetras
Rummy-nosed tetras
Red Phantom tetras
Sterbai cories
Julii cories
Emerald cories
Trilineanus cories
Adolfoi cories
Arcuata cories (aka Skunk cories)
Bushy-nosed Plecos (2)
Otos

I change the water 2x a week, 50% each time. I over-filter with both an Eheim 2028 and a Rena XP3 going.

As for plants here's a list of what in the tank and thriving just fine (I do use pressurized CO2 injected with both an inline PVC reactor and a ceramic disc in glass under a Koralia 2):

Anubias barteri var. nana
Anubias barteri var. nana petite
Blyxa japonica
Crinum calamistratum
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne spiralis 'dwarf'
Echinodorus angustifolius 'vesuvius'
Hygrophila sp. 'Guinea'
Staurogyne sp. 'Bihar'
Limnophila aromatica
Limnophila sp. 'Guinea Broad-Leaf'
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia senegalensis
Marsilea
Nesaea pedicellata
Nymphaea micrantha
Pogostemon stellatus 'narrow'
Polygonum sp. 'Kawagoeanum'
Rotala sp. 'Vietnam'
Tonina fluviatilis
Java fern
Needle-leaved Jave Fern
Christmas Moss
Fissidens Fontas

When I first put the discus in the tank had been at 78F for a long time and I immediately raised the temp to 81F, then up a degree a week to 83F. The discus seemed a bit shy and did not eat so well. Since going to 85F or so they are MUCH better in their demeanor and their appetite. I tried to go 86F and the discus seemed to like it but many plants started to suffer. Seems 85F is a magic number for a lot of my plants.

Scribbles
12-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I keep adults at 82-84 degrees because that is what I have read and been told to do. Never had any problems...knock on wood. This year is the first time that I have kept juvies at 86 and had good results so that is what I will do from now on.

Chris

clogwood
12-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Ninety gallon tank with high light and co2 added by diffuser and keep the tank around 80 to 81. Plants seem to handle it well but did lose two species of plants after first rise in temp. They did not seem to adjust well but the rest of my plants are doing well at that temp. Have had discus before but most likely not the best quality and lost a few but it didn't sem to be because of the temp. Finally purchased fish from a sponser here and they are handling the 80 81 degrees fine,are eating like crazy and showing some growth.
It works for me but the debate seems to come up periodically about this being too low or not for discus

Tito
12-20-2009, 12:10 AM
So far so good. Everyone seems to have had their Discus at lower temps - well - lower than 90 88 86 degrees and no adverse reports.

This issue has always intrigue me since - repeat - many of the fish we keep from the Amazon come with recomended temps of 78 - 82 degrees. I understand that the Heckels may come from a warmer environment fas as water is concerned but we can't say that for all Discus.

rickztahone
12-20-2009, 12:19 AM
my juvies are at 86F while my adults use to be at 84 but i lowered it when i started dabbling in plants, at least a semi-planted tank :D (82F)

scottthomas
12-20-2009, 12:24 AM
I have never kept temps at 88-90 unless it was for treating illness and only for short periods. I thought most people kept adults at 82-85? I do keep fry and juvies at 84-86 in my fishroom. Breeders at 83 but water changes for breeders at 81-82.(One aging barrel temp control set at 82) I think they spawn more often with cool wc.