PDA

View Full Version : Is my fish growing old?

peety
12-22-2009, 12:05 AM
I have about a dozen discus, most were spawned by my oldest pair. The mum got sick and died a while ago but the dad has been fine. My question is: do discus lose their colors when they get old.? Dad must be at least 7 years old. How old do discus get? He appears to be in good health, very thick wide body, eats well and still bosses the other fish around, but is losing his bright colors. He has been a dull color for about the last two months, apart from this he seems fine... do you think he's going grey with the onset of old age?

philip69285
12-22-2009, 12:08 AM
I dont know about the color and what not but I do know they have been known to live upto 10yrs maybe longer. Hope that helps a little bit.

zamboniMan
12-22-2009, 12:36 AM
I have about a dozen discus, most were spawned by my oldest pair. The mum got sick and died a while ago but the dad has been fine. My question is: do discus lose their colors when they get old.? Dad must be at least 7 years old. How old do discus get? He appears to be in good health, very thick wide body, eats well and still bosses the other fish around, but is losing his bright colors. He has been a dull color for about the last two months, apart from this he seems fine... do you think he's going grey with the onset of old age?

What color strain is he?

William Palumbo
12-22-2009, 01:22 AM
My first Discus were old, 7+years closer to ten if I can remember correctly. And yes they were pretty dark, with not much sparkle. They did not look sick...just old...Bill

peety
12-22-2009, 01:54 AM
All my fish are blue diamond/blue turquoise cross. The dad looks very healthy but all the blue has gone on his body, I got him as fry and he was the one who ended up raising all the next generation, since mum always ate their young. He really stands out because the other fish look so shiny and he doesnt really have any color showing any more except on the very tips of his fins. So long as its just old age... no probs

zamboniMan
12-22-2009, 02:14 PM
All my fish are blue diamond/blue turquoise cross. The dad looks very healthy but all the blue has gone on his body, I got him as fry and he was the one who ended up raising all the next generation, since mum always ate their young. He really stands out because the other fish look so shiny and he doesnt really have any color showing any more except on the very tips of his fins. So long as its just old age... no probs

I've heard of some of the pigeon varieties loosing color with age but not anything else? Maybe its common?