PDA

View Full Version : new 55gal drum for r/o water.

sthai75
12-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Just had a 3/4 inch hole with bulkhead for a spout all completed. Have the drum standing on 10inch off the ground stand. I had hopes of never again doing a WC with buckets, by useing a garden hose attatched from drum running directily to aquarium tank. But this is the problem no running water. I know based of the laws of gravity my holding drum is probably lower than the aquarium. But is there any way of working around this without raising or lowering either drum or aquarium? reason being location of outdoor water source and distance from drum and aquarium is approx. 20 ft. so little flexability.

Sang

bettebulldog
12-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Need a pump for sure.

sthai75
12-28-2009, 03:00 PM
You must be patient with me. I am not familiar with submersible pumps, I'm asuming that I should cut open the top of the drum to fit a pump into it then attatch a hose and my problem is solved? Where can I purchase a pump?

Forgive my questions,

Sang

David Rose
12-28-2009, 03:02 PM
I used a Danner Mag Drive 1800 at the base of my aging barrel, which is located in my basement laudry room. The water travels 50' and upward about 14' of head. If you are only traveling 20' with only about 4-6' of head, you won't need anyting as powerful, but a pump will certainly be a good solution.

My bulkhead is 1" and I just asked the Home Depot techies what I needed to have a ball valve shut off and reduce it to the 5/8" garden hose connection that I needed.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/dlr1961_photos/20091010001.jpg

I got my Mag Drive from Dr Foster & Smith and SD affliate clicking on the link above. On at Dr. F&S just enter Mag drive into the search. There's a good chart under the "more information" tab that will help you determine what size of pump you will need. Probably the MD 7 or 9.5.

You can shop around maybe for a better price if you like and even try eBay.

Best of luck,
David

sthai75
12-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks DAVE, for the images. So are the pumps sold @Lowes or home depot for ponds the same and can be used in the same fashion as the MAG pumps? I dream of WC without the buckets.

Sang

David Rose
12-28-2009, 03:50 PM
I got my pump from Dr. F&S. Lowes & Home Depot pumps usually have oil lubricant, which can't be used. It has to be an oil free motor. Some folks use various types of pond or fountain pumps, but I like the compact footprint of the Danner Mag Drives. I use one in my wet/dry sump as well to filter my 140G tank. They're quiet and durable, but if parts are needed, they're readily available. That is why I decided to get this particular brand.

RodneyL001
03-18-2010, 02:55 AM
Yes, a pump should solve your problem. I use one to fill up my 125gal & 35gal, no more buckets, but go on eBay and save lots of money. I need another pump for my UV sterilizer, and I will get it from eBay

jeff@zina.com
03-18-2010, 09:21 AM
I use a pond/fountain pump for mine. It's a submersible pump with a garden hose connection I just drop into the bottom of the barrel. I use a remote switch, sold for Christmas lights, to start/stop the pump. The pump is 300 GPH with a maximum head of 10 feet and works well for a 25' hose and the barrel on the floor of the room with the tanks.

Just check the pump at Lowes/Home Depot. Mine came from a garden store but most pond/fountain pumps are oil free.

Jeff