PDA

View Full Version : Dark Fish

target
12-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi All,

I have a Rose Red that seems to stay really dark. He is still eating and is to my eye healthy. The other 4 fish in the tank are all bright colours. Only the RR seems to stay dark. Is this something to be worried about? Or is it just him being stubborn? I have included a pic of when I first got him, and one taken today. Thanks for any responses.

Eddie
12-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Nice looking fish by the way. You may try to worm the fish.

Eddie

target
01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
So what medication would you recommend? Also, should I treat the whole tank? It is a 46 gallon. The only other tank I have available is a 5 gallon. I would like to see his colour come back and if this would do it, that would be great.

seanyuki
01-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Daniel......April has Levamisole (dewormer).:)

Eddie
01-04-2010, 07:53 PM
So what medication would you recommend? Also, should I treat the whole tank? It is a 46 gallon. The only other tank I have available is a 5 gallon. I would like to see his colour come back and if this would do it, that would be great.

If one in the tank has worms, you can pretty much guarantee that all the fish do. I'd worm the whole tank, to prevent future repetitive treatments.

Eddie

target
01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
So just so I can begin to figure this out, what made you think worms? I am definitely unfamiliar with diseases and would like to expand my knowledge base. Thanks.

Eddie
01-05-2010, 07:19 PM
So just so I can begin to figure this out, what made you think worms? I am definitely unfamiliar with diseases and would like to expand my knowledge base. Thanks.

Otherwise healthy looking but dark in color, good appetite. It may not be worms at all but here is my take on it, some will shoot it down. Discus are prone to getting worms, its not just from live foods. They can develop worms from other fish as well as from other foods. An amazing breeder advises on worming young fish every few months to keep them clean and growing. Many frown on this, but there is no harm (different strokes for different folks). People worms their cats and dogs regularly, why they got to cry when is comes to worming a fish, please........ ;)

The lame excuse that tends to come up is, if there isnt a problem, why treat. Well, when the problem arises with Capillaria, its far too late to try and get a hold on it. They've spread throughout the entire tank, you can bet on it.

Its like, what are you gonna wait for, the fish to be stunted, die from internal infection. Treatment will be too late to wait. ;)

Thats all just my thoughts, which I took from others.

Take care,

Eddie

Finatic
01-05-2010, 10:33 PM
What is a good dewormer?

Eddie
01-05-2010, 10:35 PM
What is a good dewormer?

Levimasole or Fenbendazole in food.

Eddie

target
01-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks Eddie

Fishy knickers
01-06-2010, 08:04 PM
"Levimasole or Fenbendazole in food."

Anyone know a product available in the UK with these ingredients? I have a juvi that is black,hangs at the back and is pooing white poo. Still eating a bit though...for now!!:(

seanyuki
01-06-2010, 09:21 PM
They have Kusuri(Flubendazol)de-wormer plus selling in the UK.......I got mine from Paul at Discus South.....it can put in water directly and also in foods.

Hope this helps.

cheers
Francis

"Levimasole or Fenbendazole in food."

Anyone know a product available in the UK with these ingredients? I have a juvi that is black,hangs at the back and is pooing white poo. Still eating a bit though...for now!!:(

Fishy knickers
01-07-2010, 07:45 PM
I have ordered some more Kusuri, but I have used this before..both in the water and soaked some defrosted frozen bloodworm in it too. Any recommendations on how to better use it?