PDA

View Full Version : diy 300 gal questions

six7n8
01-03-2010, 02:23 PM
This is my first post. I am building a 300 gal plywood/acrylic tank right now. its really coming together cool. In the cost planning i didnt even think about lighting. I wanted to build a lighting enclosure that would hang a few inches over the tank. I know how much everyone hates questions that have been answered here before, but i have gotten mixed answers from fish stores and hobbyists. I just want a final consensus.The advice I have gotten from this board and you guys is usaully right on the money T8 shoplights will be fine for what I am doing correct? I will post some pictures of this project. Thanks

rickztahone
01-03-2010, 02:58 PM
This is my first post. I am building a 300 gal plywood/acrylic tank right now. its really coming together cool. In the cost planning i didnt even think about lighting. I wanted to build a lighting enclosure that would hang a few inches over the tank. I know how much everyone hates questions that have been answered here before, but i have gotten mixed answers from fish stores and hobbyists. I just want a final consensus.The advice I have gotten from this board and you guys is usaully right on the money T8 shoplights will be fine for what I am doing correct? I will post some pictures of this project. Thanks

i can't help you directly about lighting but i can tell you that you do not want to leave the lighting a few inches above the tank leaving the tank exposed to possible jumpers, which from my reading can happen more than people think. Just my .02 cents.

Ed13
01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
You don't really mention your goals:confused:.

You are doing a woody, so unless you add the UV protecting pigment/paint to the resin I'd want to stay away from UV producing light sources like HID lighting i.e. Metal Halides. Otherwise the hardened resin will degrade overtime, granted it'll be over a long period of time, but still...

For most purpuses, standard flourescent lights will suffice, with T8 being a good choice. Try T5HO if the tank will be really deep or you'll be requiring high light levels. But, to be honest we'll need more details to see if it'll work for you.

Why Acrylic though? I know it's very clear and easier and prob cheaper too, than low iron or Starphire glass but in a woody I'd feel more comfortable with glass. Plus it scratches so easy:(. Unless it requires a big and/or thick piece then it makes sense.

zamboniMan
01-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I'd go with T5's if your not doing plants it may seem overboard but they're cheaper to power, and in the long run will save you money. Plus then if you decide to do plants later you don't have to pay for new lights.

Good luck on your tank

Josh

jeff@zina.com
01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
...T8 shoplights will be fine for what I am doing correct?

Correct. Assuming you're actually doing what I'm assuming you're doing.

Jeff

Moon
01-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I've got T8 shop lights over my 100g plywood tank. Works well for me.
I've got a glass front. Wood flexes and glass does not and this has created a slight leak. I've tried various fixes with no luck. But now I just live with it.
Good luck with your project.

zamboniMan
01-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Ran into this today.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48640
(Mods as always if it's a problem feel free to delete this post)

ockyra215
02-20-2010, 10:49 AM
I had a 360 gallon reef tank in the past and to honest be very careful to keep it algae free reason being is i am not sure of you dimensions but its going to be a ***** to clean the front glass if its a deep tank and acrylic scratches easily.My tank was 8ft long and 3ft high and 2 ft deep remember acrylic flexes when it is filled so you have to have good bracing along the top so it wont push out to far that is why acrylic tanks hav tiny openings in the top of that because it need that structure to hold it together.

Fishandturtlejunkie
04-05-2010, 03:26 AM
Sounds like a sweet project. I recommend researching ODNO lighting as found HERE (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/21257-odno-measurements-power-consumption-vs-light.html) If you are planning on keeping any live plants I would either go with ODNO, T-5 retrofits or HQI metal halide retro-fit kits. I have had great luck with this (http://www.fishneedit.com/index.html) company.