PDA

View Full Version : Ottos on attack mode

Mj75
01-05-2010, 07:24 PM
HI everyone. I have a 75 gallon planted aquarium which I just introduced 5 discus. Everything seems to be going fine until I noticed today that the otos would sometime "nibble" on the discus. No harm seems to be done except for the discus being very irritated. Is this harmless? Or should I take the ottos out of the tank.

jerzguy
01-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Just watch out. They tend to eat the slime coat from discus especially once the lights are off. It happened to mine when there wasnt enought algae for the ottos.

HI everyone. I have a 75 gallon planted aquarium which I just introduced 5 discus. Everything seems to be going fine until I noticed today that the otos would sometime "nibble" on the discus. No harm seems to be done except for the discus being very irritated. Is this harmless? Or should I take the ottos out of the tank.

Sharkbait
01-05-2010, 09:19 PM
I agree. Keep a good watch. If they continue, I'd remove them. Replace your clean-up crew with bushynose plecos, snails, or shrimp. True Siamese Algae Eaters work well too.

Eddie
01-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Pull them out, once they get a taste, it never ending.

Mj75
01-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys. Will try to get them out asap. Not an easy job though. These little buggers are quick.

Wahter
01-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I once had a brown female discus that wouldn't let an oto get on her (although it tried). She's flare open her gills and try to bite the oto back! I wish I had my camcorder back then.

Walter

Wahter
01-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks guys. Will try to get them out asap. Not an easy job though. These little buggers are quick.

Sometimes its easier to catch them (as well as other fish) after the lights have gone out for awhile and they've gone asleep.

Walter

exv152
01-06-2010, 02:58 PM

The issue is not the otos, but instead the lack of food. The same thing can happen with SAEs, plecos and others. If there is a lack of food for them they can tend to attach themselves to discus. Try adding some vegetables or algae wafers and I'm sure they would be less interested in the discus.

zamboniMan
01-06-2010, 03:42 PM
How many ottos are in the tank?