PDA

View Full Version : Ph Question

neon
01-13-2010, 12:57 AM
I have read that juvenile discus need a ph of 7 because it helps with fin growth. And adults need and acid ph. How true is this. :confused:

akumastew
01-13-2010, 01:00 AM
I have read that juvenile discus need a ph of 7 because it helps with fin growth. And adults need and acid ph. How true is this. :confused:

Discus benefit from a consistant pH, if your pH is consistantly 7.0 and you can do you water changes at that pH your Discus will most likley be fine.

I have not read during my time on these forums, that Discus benefit from a particlular pH.

- Stew

philip69285
01-13-2010, 01:01 AM
My discus are in 7.6-7.8 PH... kindah hard to read between the two of those for me LOL. They grow out just fine and big :). So I would say its a no and constent is better then trying to monkey around with it and that goes for any fish not just discus :).

Elite Aquaria
01-13-2010, 02:16 AM
Neon,

That is not true at all...As long as your fish are in a stable environment your fish will grow out just fine.

bs6749
01-13-2010, 02:43 PM
However, there are benefits of having an acidic pH versus an alkaline pH.

An acidic pH deters the growth of certain microorganisms which can cause sickness in discus.

Also, the ammonia and ammonium ion equilibrium is shifted to that of the unharmful ammonium ion when the pH is acidic. This means if you overfeed, for example, in a tank with an acidic pH that more ammonium ions will be present than will be harmful ammonia.

For this reason it is especially effective to have an acidic pH during cycling of a tank or in a QT tank, though it is not necessary... just an added benefit.

Elite Aquaria
01-13-2010, 09:10 PM
I agree with your points but remember stability is the most important factor here...I have seen people do more harm from playing with PH rather than learning to deal with what they have been dealt.

bs6749
01-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Yup, I agree totally. I just wanted to let those reading this know why it is messed with in the first place. And if you are an experienced enough to adjust the pH properly, then you probably already know why you are doing it LOL. I like the idea of having the extra "security" of an acidic pH and if I were a breeder I would definitely shoot to maintain a pH of around 6.0 give or take.

I've gotten fertile spawns in a pH of 7.8-8.0 and a GH of over 300ppm so the acceptable range is quite large for discus and most other fish as well.