PDA

View Full Version : Which Filter Would You Choose?

rich_one
01-14-2010, 05:33 PM
I have it narrowed down to two choices, and I have pasted links to the info and specs for both. I'm stuck, but leaning towards the Fluval. Thought I would check the braintrust here.

I'm sure many of you have other filters you prefer over both... nonetheless, this is where things have led me to this point. So please vote, and feel free to comment. Thanks!

Link to Fluval: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/971/product.web

Link to Eheim: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753160&lmdn=Brand

Eddie
01-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Something that may help others decide, is the intended application of the filter. What size tank, type of tank (planted/not planted), inhabitants, etc. :o Just a thought.

Eddie

bs6749
01-14-2010, 07:52 PM
I agree, I'd like to know more about what you intend on using it for before providing feedback.

jeff@zina.com
01-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Neither. But then, I don't use canisters anymore.

My personal choice is always the Eheims, but I got burned on a Fluval purchase years ago and still hold a grudge. Either will work fine for their intended use.

Jeff

rich_one
01-14-2010, 09:12 PM
sorry...

it will be pretty plain, honestly... bare bottom tank w/ manzanita driftwood stumps w/branches, anubias tied onto it, 6 to 8 adult discus. that's the plan for now. I do not have any plans of adding anything else initially... could change my mind over time though. it is a 125 gallon, 7 ft. long tank.

-Rich

Eddie
01-14-2010, 09:18 PM
I do actually hear more cons about fluvals than Eheim filters. I was just reading the reviews on the Eheim, had me laughing. One person said it was recommended for NASA engineers as they couldn't put it together. LOL

To be honest, for the price, I'd go for the Eheim Pro II 2128.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753154&lmdn=Fish+Filtration+%26amp%3B+Circulation

nikond70s
01-14-2010, 09:39 PM
if you decide to get the eheim with that price. i rather get 2 eheim 2217 classic.

David Rose
01-14-2010, 10:30 PM
I personally like Eheim based on what I've read, but there are some good buys on eBay for the FX5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Fluval-FX5-Filter-w-Foam-Carbon-Polish-Pads_W0QQitemZ400096975170QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5d27a35942

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fluval-FX5-Hagen-Canister-Filter-Aquarium-NEW_W0QQitemZ280450724088QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item414c2a70f8

phatdave
01-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Which has the lowest Gals per hour. Find that out and get the LOWEST rated one. Discus like calm water.

bs6749
01-14-2010, 11:55 PM
If your 125g tank is a standard one then it will be 6ft long, not that it matters. I'm not a fan of canister filters. They are nice but maintenance on them can be a pain. I would highly recommend that you get two HOB style filters. I'd recommend either two Aqua Clear 70's or two 110's. I say go for the two 70's to save some coin.

https://secure.bigalsonline.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?ctl_nbr=3684&nurl=control%2FAddOrder.vm&eurl=control%2FAddOrder.vm&siQty=1&cskuName=1076U&SUBCAMPAIGN_ID=-1&omni_scAdd=scAdd&scId=19169&siId=1378657&tru_ssl_pg=N&siPrice=46.99&AllowNonSecureAdmin=Y&csku_id=1391187&siTitle=Aquaclear+70+Power+Filter&orig_sessionid=lMthpn3Uavl-W1-gWy&qty=1&rurl=control%2FStoreItem.vm&wishlistAction=addStoreItem&ei_pgparamname=nurl&csku_master=N&ei_reqIP=71.115.138.68&sipagename=sisearch&siThmbUrl=%2Fimages%2Fcatalog3684%2Ffolder24579%2F img2811672thmb.jpg&siScName=Power+Filters&groupId=-1

May be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, that's just a reference. A single canister wouldn't be good in a 6ft long tank in my opinion. I have two HOB style filters in my 5ft long 100g tank and I love them. I can't imagine a canister filter cleaning all that tank bottom plus an additional foot of length and filtering 25 more gallons. HOB filters are much easier to clean and the AC filters have trays that you can put different media or filter pads in, much like a canister filter.

rich_one
01-15-2010, 12:11 AM
the tank is definitely 7 ft long... I measured it.

my only thing with Aquaclears, is that I have never had good luck with them. nearly every time, they were noisy (rattling lid... though I could solve that problem easy enough), and have often broken easily compared to just say... Marineland HOBs that I have had much success with.

as far as these two canisters are concerned, two attractive features of the Fluval are the whole 24 hour shut off cycle, that releases any built up gasses, and the ability to flush out or remove detritus in the unit.

all that said, I respect the opinions of you all here... I guess I have to give more thought to this filter thing... definitely appreciate all of the opinions.

rich_one
01-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Also, so no benefit regarding the whole wet/dry feature on the eheim? I thought maybe it would be good at oxygenating the water... which, of course, are at higher temps than normal, meaning lower oxygen levels. I figured wet/dry filtration and surface agitation were beneficial... no?

akumastew
01-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Also, so no benefit regarding the whole wet/dry feature on the eheim? I thought maybe it would be good at oxygenating the water... which, of course, are at higher temps than normal, meaning lower oxygen levels. I figured wet/dry filtration and surface agitation were beneficial... no?

Hi Rich

I have an Eheim 2180 Pro III on my 125 gallon.

I am happy with it. The maintenance can be a pain in the butt, but overall I am happy with the eheim product.

I am thinking on adding an overflow/sump system similar to Chad Hughes', but haven't had funding approved by the finance minister yet.

I found my 2180 and a couple of air stones keeps my O2 levels fully saturated.

I am sure the 2229 would be sufficient.

roclement
01-15-2010, 03:06 PM
I used the FX5 for about 2 years with no problems...a beast! I had it on my 125gal. with sand bottom and discus, no problems.

I no longer use canisters since I think the time it takes toc clean them is not worth the benefit they (may) bring. Canisters when not cleaned can become nitrate traps and cleaning that big FX5 every two weeks was to much work for me.

Rodrigo

zamboniMan
01-15-2010, 03:54 PM
I used the FX5 for about 2 years with no problems...a beast! I had it on my 125gal. with sand bottom and discus, no problems.

I no longer use canisters since I think the time it takes toc clean them is not worth the benefit they (may) bring. Canisters when not cleaned can become nitrate traps and cleaning that big FX5 every two weeks was to much work for me.

Rodrigo

How often they need to be cleaned depends on the bioload.

I use the fluvals. They're easy to use and hold up quite well.

alpine
01-15-2010, 06:04 PM

rich_one
01-15-2010, 06:04 PM
all great comments, folks... I appreciate the input... much food for thought here.

alpine
01-15-2010, 06:07 PM
I have several Eheims (Pro II ) idle not being used . Decided to use Hydro sponges and Aquaclear 110's in my BB tanks . It works just fine . Love the quality of the Eheims ++ .

Roberto.

rich_one
01-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Hdro sponge? have to look that up...

Eddie
01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Hdro sponge? have to look that up...

Simple sponge filter. Picture taken from Kensfish.com

http://www.kensfish.com/files/hydro__4.jpg

pcsb23
01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Been a while since I used a fluval, they are ok but the build quality wasn't a patch on eheims. Having used the wet/drys for some years I have to say that they are THE most efficient cannister bio filter out there - not so great at mechanical though. Nowadays for canisters I find the Eheim 2217's hard to beat. Cheap, simple, reliable, flexible, quiet, bullet proof and efficient.

Darrell Ward
02-05-2010, 01:49 AM
I do actually hear more cons about fluvals than Eheim filters. I was just reading the reviews on the Eheim, had me laughing. One person said it was recommended for NASA engineers as they couldn't put it together. LOL

To be honest, for the price, I'd go for the Eheim Pro II 2128.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753154&lmdn=Fish+Filtration+%26amp%3B+Circulation

LOL! I am always amazed at how many stupid people are out there! Canisters are very simple. Of course now mfgs. are putting useless gizmos on some of them to justify a high price. A person could make their own if they had a container they could seal, have it hold pressure, and not blow the lid off. The only canisters I have been using lately are a couple of Ocean Clear 354 poly bead filters that hold 7 lbs. of poly beads. I only have one of them running at moment after taking down a few tanks, but these things are amazing mech. and bio filters that are capable of handling a small pond. To choose between Fluval and Eheim is easy for me, IMO Fluval is lacking the quality that the Eheims have. Heck, I have some old Eheims in the garage somewhere that are at least 20 years old. If I were to hook them up now, they would still run. If I were to buy one, it would be the one that looks like a 5 gal. bucket with a pump on top, the Eheim 2260 I think. You can put some serious media in that thing.

erikc
02-05-2010, 04:06 AM
LOL! I am always amazed at how many stupid people are out there! Canisters are very simple. Of course now mfgs. are putting useless gizmos on some of them to justify a high price. A person could make their own if they had a container they could seal, have it hold pressure, and not blow the lid off. The only canisters I have been using lately are a couple of Ocean Clear 354 poly bead filters that hold 7 lbs. of poly beads. I only have one of them running at moment after taking down a few tanks, but these things are amazing mech. and bio filters that are capable of handling a small pond. To choose between Fluval and Eheim is easy for me, IMO Fluval is lacking the quality that the Eheims have. Heck, I have some old Eheims in the garage somewhere that are at least 20 years old. If I were to hook them up now, they would still run. If I were to buy one, it would be the one that looks like a 5 gal. bucket with a pump on top, the Eheim 2260 I think. You can put some serious media in that thing.

I agree, it's the best filter I've ever had the 2260 (rinse the media out evry 6 months!), however I have upgraded to the Eheim pro 3 series. These filters can hold a lot of media and that is the most important thing you are looking for in biological filtration.

I don't do daily WC's on my tanks so the filter capacity is very important to me. It will depend on your water changing regime .....

grantbudd74
02-05-2010, 06:11 AM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7080

This did it for me. I have the Eheim pro 3 they are bullet proof, build quality is great and more importantly power consumption is LOW! I hate the bucket look of the FX5 and what ever you do get it at your LFS If it dies the fluval that is then you can take it back with no postage or issues. FX5 is loud and the gimmick;s are not needed i find as this only means more to go wrong!

good luck, go see them in the flesh for yourself and listen to them, Do the math from a power consumption point of view and replacement filter pads option. Eheims are expensive for a reason....they are the best

but thats my opinion only

:-)

rich_one
02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks, everyone... maybe I'll look at this 2128... that Pro 3 is WAY too cost prohibitive for me to even consider.

-Rich

TankWatcher
02-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I have never heard a bad word said about eheim classic series. The 2217 is said to be a great filter, though I don't have one myself.

I've just bought the eheim pro 3 2075. Not the big pro 3, which is the 2080, as it doesn't fit in the cabinet.

poconoboss
02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
If you go with the FX5, get it on ebay, people sell it new for $200. Don't spend $300. at the stores.

nc0gnet0
02-05-2010, 02:22 PM
You can't beat the fluval fx5 for cost if purchased on ebay. And I am laughing at all the eheim fanboys. That wet/dry filter is a nitrate factory waiting to happen. As for build quality, the fx5 is built much better than prior fluval models so it's a non issue.

I might add that I currently own 2 fx5's, a rena xp4, 2 fluval 404's and a ehiem proII 2028 and a 2026. The ehiem proII series were a leak waiting to happen with there silly incorporation of the self priming button that had it's own seal and has formed leaks on both of my canisters. So much for superior build quality. My 404's developed problems as well, in all fairness, as the impeller cap loves to break on those, but, a much easier and less costly fix than the eheims.

You can adjust the output flow on the fx5 if your worried about too much flow, or better yet make yourself a long spraybar.

akumastew
02-05-2010, 05:22 PM
That wet/dry filter is a nitrate factory waiting to happen

I am kind of interested in this comment.

Wouldn't the nitrates be created by a non wet dry system?

Aren't nitrates just the end of the nitrification cycle?

Or am I missing something about wet/dry filters?

nc0gnet0
02-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Higher nitrates in a wet/dry trickle filter are caused by the accumulation of dissolved organic matter on the bio-material. For this reason it is important that you keep the bio-media free from DOC build up. This accumulation is greater in a wet/dry filter due to the fact the water is being trickled over the bo materail with little pressure to work against the buildup of DOC's.

On the flip side wet/dry's are much more efficient at converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate as the are more highly oxygenated. Some of the best filters in the world, bakki showers, are wet/dry filters but they are exposed to sunlight in most cases and as such also expierance some algea growth which overcomes the tendencies and reduces nitrate concentraton.

TankWatcher
02-07-2010, 08:35 AM
..... And I am laughing at all the eheim fanboys. ..... Oh you can now laugh at the eheim fangirl too :D:D

Having said that, I've only ever read one review about the eheim wet dry filter and it wasn't good.

It's true that the eheim Pro II's self priming function never works like it's meant too - just go back to priming in the old way on those IMO (sucking on the hose). The reviews I've read on the pro 3 series indicate the new priming function is faultless. Guess I'm about to find out, as I just bought one !

The eheim classics - never heard a bad word about them on any forum and I'm a member of lot of forums.

rich_one
02-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I had planned on spending all of this money for a "higher end" filtration system. Funny thing is, these things seem to be just as susceptible to shortcomings as less high end units. so honestly... I think I might just go with what I know... two or three power filters (many say ACs, but I am partial to Marineland Emperors), and maybe a sponge on the inside. way cheaper, less worry about a large investment, only to encounter the same issues anyway. and since I am only going to have 5 adults in a 125 gallon in the beginning... no huge bioload. my water change regiment will still suffice.

this has been a very interesting debate... I have to say. very good information here.

-Rich

nc0gnet0
02-09-2010, 12:50 AM
It's true that the eheim Pro II's self priming function never works like it's meant too

I'ts not only true it does'nt work, when the seal goes bad it leaks, so you not only have to worry about the lid seal, you have to deal with the self primer seal as well, so much for eheim quality. Just google "eheim pro II leaking".

Add to that, for the longest time you could not just buy the gasket (yes now you can)and when you finally could it was outrageously priced, and well you get how eheim really feels about service.

I am not saying fluvals are without fault mind you, but I chuckle at all the eheims fans that think Eheim are faultless.

TankWatcher
02-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I think eheim dropped the ball with both the wet & dry and the Pro II's.

The eheim classic series are a different story though - I've honestly never heard a bad word about them. I have 2 of the smallest Classic (the 2211) and they are both faultless. Probably the classic I hear recommended most often is the Classic 2217.

Only ever heard good stuff about the Pro III's as well - which is why I just made the purchase.

Chad Hughes
02-09-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm an FX5 fan. I have one on my 150 in tandem with a wet/dry. Works great and never had a single problem in the past 4 years. It's been running non stop. I break it down about once every 60 days and rinse everything out. I've used HOB filters in the past, but they require almost weekly maintenance. Not a big fan of that.

Best wishes!

fish nut
02-20-2010, 01:29 PM
I have used aquarclear 70 and 110 and they get noisey over a couple of years. When I first started keeping fish, all of my tanks(30) are aquarclear. The good thing about them is they are cheap and easy to clean. Given the choice, I will not use it because if there is power outage, the water does not cycle again or the propeller does not restart, you have to give it a nodge to help it move.

I have fluval 404 and a FX5 and I have no problems with either one. Both filters are quiet as they are place on cement ground. Cleaning canister is not as fast and easy compared to the aquaclear, but if I do have a power out and I am not at home, I don't have to worry about it not restarting or water recycling again.

I cannot saying anything about the Ehiem as I do not own one.

I use sponge filter on my breeder tank and find it easy on the fry but will not look good on a display tank imo.

rich_one
02-20-2010, 01:48 PM
I finally did decide on a Rena XP4... got an deal on a new one that I could not refuse.

-Rich

fish4fun
02-20-2010, 02:09 PM
I currently have the following canister filter running in my tanks:

Eheim 2215
Eheim 2217
Eheim 2317
Eheim 2229
Fluval 405
Aqua Clear 110 (X2)

In a 90 gallon tank I have 1 Aqua Clear 110 running stricktly mechanical filtration and 1 eheim (2215/2217/2317) running structly biological filtration.

Works great as I only really have to rinse the sponges on the aqua clears every 2 weeks and clean out the eheim every few months. 2 filters are VERY easy to clean.

I do also run sponge filters in all my tanks along with mechaical fillters.

SO, I suggest you take the same approch for you 125.

1-2 Aqua Clear 110'2
1 Eheim Classic 2217
1-2 sponge filters

That shouold provide more than enough filtration for a tank that size

rich_one
03-12-2010, 06:11 PM
well, before I could purchase the XP4, an opportunity has come up to get the FX5, brand new, in the box.

I just gotta try it out... so... FX5 it is... here's to hoping I am not disappointed...

-Rich

rich_one
03-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Got the FX5! I'll install it this weekend, and we'll see how it goes from there. Man... that thing is huge! LOL...

-Rich

HHaley
03-18-2010, 01:42 PM
I agree with the comments concerning the vibration of the AquaClear 70 covers. I have one on a tank in my son’s room and we have to make sure there is a small paper weight on the cover to keep it quiet.

Our main Aquarium is a 90G Planted tank which has mostly Han’s discus. On this tank, we use two Eheim canisters filters. Our main filter is an Eheim Professional III 2078e and our secondary filter is a Eheim 2126 ThermoPro II.

The 2078e has a bio function that allows you to run the filter at 2 different 12 hour flow rates that can be adjusted from slow to fast.

The 2126 is a smaller filter but it includes a heating element that has no problem keeping a 90G aquarium in the mid 80’s.

Both filters and the heating function are controlled by a Neptune Systems Apex controller. We have had no problems with these filters and would highly recommend them.

Another benefit of using two filters is that you can alternate the cleaning cycles of each filter.

One thing I must say about the Eheim filters is that they are QUIET.

You can't go wrong in selecting an Eheim filter.