PDA

View Full Version : Discus Breeding Cones for sale

Disgirl
01-14-2010, 06:06 PM
I am a potter and a discus keeper. Seems to me I could combine these interests and make Discus Breeding Cones to offer here for sale. Before I try this I am wondering if any of you would be interested in purchasing such? If I receive some positive encouragement here I will make a few, take some pictures to post here and see what happens. Please let me know if this is something I should try! Thanks all,
Barb :)

Scribbles
01-14-2010, 06:55 PM
If my discus ever decide to breed, I would be interested.

Chris

roclement
01-14-2010, 07:05 PM
hey that is great! if youre able to make them at a competitive price I would order some from you! Best of luck!

Rodrigo

Eddie
01-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Definitely Barb, I'd buy some from you! Do you have a design idea and would they be a white or terracotta? Any thoughts on the cost?

That would be way cool!

Eddie

brewmaster15
01-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Barb,
Just to recap my pm... go for it! I'd love to see a hobbyist here turn some good quality cones out for the forum members!:)

-al

bs6749
01-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Depending on the price and shape, I'd be interested in at least 4 of them to start with.

Chad Adams
01-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Interested

underwaterforest
01-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Me too.

BOBT00LS
01-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Hello Barb. Thats a great idea and Im sure there will be alot of demand for them from Simply members. If you price them correctly you could have a nice little bussiness if you open the sales up to Aquabid and Ebay as well. GO FOR IT !!!!

Bob

Discus-n00b
01-14-2010, 08:27 PM
I think its a great idea too. Have you thought about if the cones would have a lip for falling eggs/fry yet or not?

Eddie
01-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Hello Barb. Thats a great idea and Im sure there will be alot of demand for them from Simply members. If you price them correctly you could have a nice little bussiness if you open the sales up to Aquabid and Ebay as well. GO FOR IT !!!!

Bob

Exactly Bob! And to be honest, just supporting another forum member/friend is where its at!

Eddie

Claymore
01-14-2010, 08:31 PM
I've been looking for a few breeding cones for my tanks..please post some photos when you make your prototypes.

AJ

philip69285
01-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Im interested... I ordered one from Kensfish for my new breeder tank but wouldnt hurt to giuve them a choice of a cone and who knows might have another pair for then I need to split the tank LOL. Thats why i ordered two sponge filters hehehe. If the price is right and everything... I would love one.

MGKelly
01-14-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm in too!

Disgirl
01-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Well thanks everyone! I will price them between $10-$15 plus shipping. Does that seem fair? Yes, I would make them with that all important lip. I have a choice of many colors of clay to use. Would you want them terra cotta colored? I could also make them white, tan or brown. Would anybody like to have them glazed with any of a large number of colored glazes? Or are they best done only in unglazed clay, like a clay pot? I have beautiful blue and green glazes, also browns and tans, lots of earthy colors. I make all my own glazes from powdered chemicals. Let me know!
Barb:)

TCT
01-14-2010, 09:55 PM
I want 4 whenever you ready to sell, just LMK
Thanks

David Rose
01-14-2010, 10:16 PM
See Barb, I just know you'll be successful with this! Who better to buy from than one of our own.

Count me in for about six maybe more when the time comes. :)

joanr
01-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Count me in also Barb, I'm just wondering if the glaze would be safe for the aquarium, it might be a problem?? Don't know. The ones I ordered last were from Rosenthals and they claim a special process to make them safe for the tanks, but they don't have a lip, just a ledge.

fishman1978
01-14-2010, 11:37 PM
:confused:Thay might not stick to well with the glaze.But I would take a few terra cotta's with the lip.:D

seanyuki
01-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi Barb.....I want some too when avaiable plus will tell the Canadians discus hobbyists.

bs6749
01-15-2010, 12:18 AM
I've heard that glaze is not good in aquariums. No go on the glaze!!!!!!!

Larry Bugg
01-15-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm in also.

Disgirl
01-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Count me in also Barb, I'm just wondering if the glaze would be safe for the aquarium, it might be a problem?? Don't know. The ones I ordered last were from Rosenthals and they claim a special process to make them safe for the tanks, but they don't have a lip, just a ledge.

I just have to ask. What is the difference between a lip and a ledge on a spawning cone? I will have to design this and want to make what people are wanting. Thanks for all the positive comments, I really appreciate it.

diamond_discus
01-15-2010, 12:55 AM
I am interested too ... It's better to get it from Simply members .. than trying to bid from Ebay or Aquabid. I would like to see different height for the cone. Some breeding tank is shorter then others.

bs6749
01-15-2010, 01:00 AM
I just have to ask. What is the difference between a lip and a ledge on a spawning cone? I will have to design this and want to make what people are wanting. Thanks for all the positive comments, I really appreciate it.

I'm no expert in pottery by any means, and I'm not sure if there acutally IS a difference in the terminology. However, a "ledge" to me implies something that would be flat and parallel to the bottom of the tank when the cone is resting in the upright position. A "lip" to me implies that there is a high point on the outermost edge and there is a slope that angles inward and downward towards the cone so that any falling eggs would be herded to the cone for the parents to pick up and spit back in place. Just my two cents.

philip69285
01-15-2010, 01:10 AM
That seems like a fair price to me :) and a choice of color is great hehehe. Let us know when you are ready. Cant wait to see them.

roclement
01-15-2010, 01:18 AM
I like the price!How about we post pictures of our cones here so there is a shape gallery to look at?

rodrigo

Justice
01-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Count me in as well, and I prefer Terra Cotta!

Eddie
01-15-2010, 01:25 AM
I like terracotta and white as well. Definitely check on the glaze thing, might be best without the glaze. :o

Let us know Barb, now you are gonna swamped! :D

Eddie

April
01-15-2010, 02:45 AM
ill take a dozen. lol. or more..i want mine glazed and funky colours..maybe a light aqua or blue..or what have you. discus like to lay on dark spots..so maybe spotty..ok not being funny..i should find the pic of the chicken jug i used. it had two red spots where the red things hang down oneach side of the beak..and the one mother laid all the egss in that spot..then when they hatched..moved them to the other side red spot.
make one up..so we can see the shape. id say as smooth as possible..easier to clean.

jdfil1
01-15-2010, 03:35 AM
I'd certainly consider buying some. Thanks.
John

Discus-n00b
01-15-2010, 04:04 AM
When i say lip or ledge i mean basically the same thing. Just a ledge raised a little on the cone off the bottom like seen in the link below. Just to catch any eggs or fry that might fall off the cone.

http://www.azdiscus.com/images/breedingcone.jpg

Its really a luxury for me, and I'd probably end up buying either way but it seems hard to find good cones with lips/ledges. Not being a potter, I have no idea on how much extra work it takes or how much more production time is involved, but thats what I as a consumer would like to see. :) But make a realativly cheap, good quality cone and i'll be interested.

apdragon
01-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I would be interested in at least a couple when you have them available.

roclement
01-15-2010, 03:11 PM
I like this cone...sorry for the fish and eggs on the picture... :0) It is non-glazed terracota, and has the lip.

Rodrigo

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/rodclement/IMG_0280.jpg

Disgirl
01-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks Rod. That is a good picture, I have never seen eggs quite that color, they match the parent! I will make up a design, throw some on my wheel, fire them and see what I get. Then post some pics here. Thank you all for your support and I will try to make a product you will like. I have done some checking and find that the glazes I use on coffee cups and bowls would be safe for aquarium use. Since discus eggs stick to tank glass and heater glass I think they will stick to my glass-like glazes. But I would plan on making unglazed terra cotta color cones to start and then try a few glazed for those who want a more artistic looking cone.

target
01-15-2010, 04:21 PM
This is a great idea. I'm interested, just need the breeding fish first. Seems like you will do some pretty good business.

Eddie
01-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Fantastic Barb! You know....I was actually thinking some terracotta and white swirl would look FANTASTIC!!! If you could do some swirl ones, that might be a signature. I would really like to see that! Just an example but this vase has several colors.

http://www.antiquehelper.com/auctionimages/37802t.jpg

You could call them, Barb's peaches and cream breeding cones! :D

Good luck!

Eddie

joanr
01-15-2010, 09:23 PM

When I said ledge it wasn't the best description of what I meant. If you go to Rosenthal's Pottery web site you can see that their cones do not have a bottom catch tray, but the cone expands diameter as it goes down. I like the little catch trays at the bottom better.:)

Discus-Hans
01-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Barb,

don't make them to thin, it will safe you a lot of money in replacing them after shipping lol lol

If people want a tray, put them on a old plate, break fast, dinner, coffee cup and you got your tray,

Hans

BOBT00LS
01-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Hello Barb. I think most would agree that these are best out there.

Bob

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/BOBT00LS/DiscusAngelfishCone.jpg

Discus-n00b
01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Those are the kind I like bob.

Disgirl
01-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions! Yes, I can swirl different colors together. I will try to get a good lip. I see some cones have a small hole at the top for air to escape and most do not. Which do you all prefer? I can do either. And I will definitely make them thick so as not to break easily, thanks Hans! I will be making some in a week or so, and within 2 weeks or so hope to have a picture to show you all. Just hope my injured right thumb is healed up enough to do this :D.

Discus-Hans
01-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions! Yes, I can swirl different colors together. I will try to get a good lip. I see some cones have a small hole at the top for air to escape and most do not. Which do you all prefer? I can do either. And I will definitely make them thick so as not to break easily, thanks Hans! I will be making some in a week or so, and within 2 weeks or so hope to have a picture to show you all. Just hope my injured right thumb is healed up enough to do this :D.

Hard to see the "space" in the lip, but don't make it to small or deep, I've seen Discus hurt their face by trying to get fry out of a to small lip.

We have a little hole in the top to get air out.

Hayyyyyyyy you've to keep a production company going from now on, only injuries, days off, sleep ins, etc. etc. in your own time (what's left of that) Your lost now, you got a cone company. Your life is over, now you've to deal with all those $#%^&*&%$% Discus people, you will see those who are NOW your FRIENDS will turn into "pain in the part of the body we all sit on" CUSTOMERS.... good luck with that :D :angel: :D :angel:

Hans

GlennR
01-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Having our own potter is a great opportunity to get a variety of colors of cones. It will be interesting to see which colors the fish like best. It will also be a great way to decorate otherwise "bare" tanks. I can see "cone art" becoming an exciting new part of keeping Discus.

Disgirl, be sure to put your "stamp" on them, so the cone collectors will know they were made by you. ;)

scottthomas
01-15-2010, 11:30 PM
I too would buy some. Let us know.

Eddie
01-15-2010, 11:48 PM
I would sell off all my old cones and get the swirl type for sure!

Eddie

roclement
01-15-2010, 11:51 PM
i like closed top so no debry colects inside the cone, a hole on the top, even if tiny can get crap inside and under the cone, no big deal I am sure but that is what I was told...

rodrigo

philip69285
01-16-2010, 12:35 AM
I to Eddie like the swirl design :). Maybe Ill have to order a few different kinds (have one already coming in) and see what they like best hehehe.

yim11
01-16-2010, 01:32 AM
I would buy at least one with a white or terra cotta color...and I hate to go against the grain but I personally don't prefer bottom lip. I would still buy one either way though. :)

April
01-16-2010, 02:30 AM
a hole in the top is good. just needs to be tiny. otherwise dead spot..bad water . ill take swirl or spotty. spots are good. blotches . speckles, splatters..pastel colours. pink, turquoise, yellow, baby blue. ; 0

David Rose
01-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Designer cones, themes, holiday inspired, limited editions...$cha ching, $cha ching! Of course the price would be higher I'm sure for these types. Leave it to SD to set some trends. I can see it all now...Barb goes international and we can say we new Barb when....:p Don't forget us little people Barb!

Disgirl
01-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Oh my heavens, now I am getting overwhelmed. Had not even thought of offering them for sale until David suggested it to me just 2 days ago. Thanks David! I am going to do my best to do this, but what Hans said last night has me a bit worried. Hope he isn't really right. My pottery business is just me and no help. I know I can't train my husband to throw clay on a wheel. He may be able to help package. Thanks everyone!

David Rose
01-16-2010, 10:38 AM
No worries Barb...you have a great group of friends here on SD that will support you along the way. I don't think anyone is in a rush for them, so no mass production line is needed.

When and if the time comes, you can always round up some advanced students from a nearby pottery class if you need help or maybe an associate you've met along the way in selling your other work. Maybe you can even teach a pottery class locally and have your students make breeding cones as one of their beginner projects. It's amazing how creative folks can get in a class room setting.

Best of luck!

PS: Start saving your daily newspaper now for packaging, local rag sheets etc...LOL!

seanyuki
01-16-2010, 10:43 AM
hi Barb.....just curious how much time to make a cone?like this one from Rod.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/th_breedingcone.jpg (http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/breedingcone.jpg)

cheers
Francis:)

Oh my heavens, now I am getting overwhelmed. Had not even thought of offering them for sale until David suggested it to me just 2 days ago. Thanks David! I am going to do my best to do this, but what Hans said last night has me a bit worried. Hope he isn't really right. My pottery business is just me and no help. I know I can't train my husband to throw clay on a wheel. He may be able to help package. Thanks everyone!

jimmyjoe
01-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Well I'm in for about 4 breeding cones, I have cones now without a lip and I tried making a lip out of silicon to no avail. I like the cone presented by Roclement nice and fat with a sized lip that won't injure the parents. I also like the cones in either terra-cotta or white clay not toxic to fish in any way. My 2 cents but as I said I'll order 4 when you have them ready, by the way where are you shipping from. See you've already started a business hope for your success. Jim in Ohio

Disgirl
01-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Francis, I work an assembly line type of pottery making. In a 6 hr. day of working nothing but pottery I could make a dozen cones I think. Could be more or less, just depends on lots of factors like the temp. in my studio, whether or not my hands are hurting, the moisture in the clay, etc. Pottery is quite variable and I like to point out to customers that no 2 pieces are ever the same. Each is a small work of art. It is what makes the big difference between hand and machine made. Jim, I live in eastern North Carolina, near the coast. I make my pottery in my studio in our garage. I must point out that if my cones are a success I will become a sponsor here and help support SD, it is the only fair thing to do.
Barb

diamond_discus
01-16-2010, 07:29 PM
I brought this one from Aquabid several years ago .. I forgot where I got it from but it's shorter then others. So I like to use it in a smaller 20 gallon tank. I don't know what kind of material was used to make this cone but I like the surface .. which is a little rough and very sticky. Even when it's dry .. and when I pick it up with my hand, I can already feel the stickyness .. Eggs stay on it very good. It doesn't have hole at the top either. I don't mind that it doesn't have the lip. The one that I don't like about it is that it's a bit too wide .. I like it to be a bit skinner .. thus my pair would have more room in a smaller 20 gallon tank. To me it's important, especially for some breeding pair that are 6"+.

philip69285
01-16-2010, 09:08 PM
I dont think you will have much problem meeting the demands here on the simply forum :). Unless you really do want to make it a business then it gets CRAZY lol. Like getting your own website type thing LOL. Im def in no hurry to get my cone or two or 3 LOL... :). I just hope they use the one I give them LOL.

seanyuki
01-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi Barb.....thanks for the quick reply and info provided to us.:)

cheers
Francis:)

Francis, I work an assembly line type of pottery making. In a 6 hr. day of working nothing but pottery I could make a dozen cones I think. Could be more or less, just depends on lots of factors like the temp. in my studio, whether or not my hands are hurting, the moisture in the clay, etc. Pottery is quite variable and I like to point out to customers that no 2 pieces are ever the same. Each is a small work of art. It is what makes the big difference between hand and machine made. Jim, I live in eastern North Carolina, near the coast. I make my pottery in my studio in our garage. I must point out that if my cones are a success I will become a sponsor here and help support SD, it is the only fair thing to do.
Barb

scottthomas
01-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Hey, diamond-discu's picture of his cone has a screen. You might consider offering those too if you can figure out an easy way to make them. Of course charge more for those.

Disgirl
01-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the ideas and pictures coming in! I plan to start production in the next two weeks if all goes as planned (by me). I can hardly wait to get my wheel turning, I have so many things I want to try with these cones. :D
Barb

David Rose
01-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Have fun with it Barb...I can't wait to see your spin on things...LOL:D

diamond_discus
01-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all the ideas and pictures coming in! I plan to start production in the next two weeks if all goes as planned (by me). I can hardly wait to get my wheel turning, I have so many things I want to try with these cones. :D
Barb

Barb: You will have all our support here at SD .. Can't wait to see your new creation. ;)

diamond_discus
01-18-2010, 03:26 AM
Here's a side-by-side picture of two of my breeding cones. As you can see, the one in the left is shorter. I use that in my smaller 20 gallon breeding tank. For my other bigger/taller breeding tank, I use the right one. The shorter version is good when I need to lower the water level in half. Note that one cone has hole at the top.

Disgirl
01-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the pics DD. I can see how both have their advantages. Can you measure and tell me the height of these? I am guessing about 8 and 10"?

diamond_discus
01-19-2010, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the pics DD. I can see how both have their advantages. Can you measure and tell me the height of these? I am guessing about 8 and 10"?

They are 7" and 10"

-Larry

Disgirl
01-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks Larry! Hope to make my own version soon.

seanyuki
01-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi Barb....just wondering can this done using clay?.....I have these in my breeding tanks.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/th_breeding1203975012.jpg (http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/breeding1203975012.jpg):)

JDiscus
01-19-2010, 10:33 AM
SeanYuki, where did you get those. I have been looking for some for my Angels....:angel:

seanyuki
01-19-2010, 10:54 AM
I got mine at Aquabid around US $6.......

SeanYuki, where did you get those. I have been looking for some for my Angels....:angel:

David Rose
01-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I got mine at Aquabid around US $6.......

Lucky you Francis! I've never seen them less than $19.99 w/free shipping.

Disgirl
01-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Barb....just wondering can this done using clay?.....I have these in my breeding tanks.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/th_breeding1203975012.jpg (http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/breeding1203975012.jpg):)

Yes, I could make something very similar in clay.

DocSavage
01-31-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm a new member of the forum and would definitely be interested in purchasing some breeding cones, depending on cost. Could you possibly contact me directly (docsavage47@hotmail.com), since I haven't posted enough times to be able to contact you privately.

Thanks - Norm Savage

Ed13
01-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Hey Barb since you are taking requests can you come up with a cone with instrucctions?

Some of my discus seem to be confused about what comes next...lots of dancing in some but nothing yet:mad:

lol

Disgirl
01-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi Norm and Ed, I am still in the process of gearing up my "cone making business" for you all. I hope to start soon, this all came about so suddenly I am having to finish a few other projects before I begin clay work. But I am almost there. I even have my supplies and my designs worked out. I am also going to make clay discus wall art since I am a clay artist specializing in clay fish. Just have not made discus before. I will soon post when these things are ready to sell and will have pictures for you all to see! Thanks again for the interest and encouragement here!

gills
02-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Good luck on the cones. I just noticed your from down East. I'm in Wake Forest and my wife is from Eastern N.C.. She is from Wallace. Good to see others into discus from N.C. Interested in seeing the cones as well.

acroken
02-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey Barb, let me know when you are ready. I would like to buy 15 to 20. I buy mine off aquabid fairly cheap when i buy a case. If you could make them with a lower ledge and a larger diameter top, similar to the one Rod posted we have a deal. I would like all my cones to be the same, i know the fish do not mind but i do:) Let me know.

Thanks Kenny

Disgirl
02-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Oh my, thanks Kenny. I have to make over 100 just to start with to fulfill what I have been asked for already. Hope I am up to this task people, it is just a one woman operation here:D. I may just have to take orders and fill them as I am able to. But I plan to give it a good shot!

philip69285
02-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Well I cant wait to get one with swirls in it :)... the one I got is kindah small for my 29gal and I would like around 2 more but I know how long they will take to make... maybe you should sign each piece too just to give it that extra little thing :P. Just send me a PM when you have some made :)

Disgirl
02-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Yes, I sign all my pottery pieces :D. I plan to make some swirled ones and hope to get started in the next few days. After I make several, it will take about a week or more for them to dry and be fired. The ones I glaze will take a couple days longer. When I have a selection to show you all I will post pics. Thanks again!

philip69285
02-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Great to hear... I like to have signed pieces as its a piece of art :)... Ill def take two swirled ones :). Dont want any glazed ones tho i dont think the eggs would stick well to it LOL.

Discus-Hans
02-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Great to hear... I like to have signed pieces as its a piece of art :)... Ill def take two swirled ones :). Dont want any glazed ones tho i dont think the eggs would stick well to it LOL.

ha ha ha if Discus can spawn on glass with no problem, glaze is no problem at all, in fact, in Europe we had for a long time many glazed cones on the market.

The point was, before the little hole in the top, you had "dead water" under the cone. A lot of people had the idea the "dead water" came trough the cone and "killed" the eggs. (I'm very bust doing a lot of things at the same time and my brain freezes, can't get the right word for kill, turn white, fungus, etc) :(

That's why they came with the glazed cones,

Hans

Eddie
02-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Don't forget Barb! I am first on the list for the peaches and cream swirl cones! :D

Best of luck in the making!

Eddie

Disgirl
02-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks for this info. Hans. I have always thought that since discus eggs stick just fine to glass tank sides and glass heaters then a glaze should be no problem. But I will offer glazed and non glazed cones. The glazed ones should be very easy for us and the fish to keep cleaned. OK Eddie!

April
02-02-2010, 12:18 AM
dont forget mine...ill take glazed and swirly. a dozen for me also .

rickztahone
02-02-2010, 01:29 AM
i can't believe i missed this post Barb. this is a great idea you have and i can tell there is a bunch of interest. we thank you for offering your works of art to each and every one of us here on SD. if breeding were a goal for me i'd buy from you directly. i hope everything turns out well and i can't wait to see your cones....breeding cones....:rolleyes2:

Disgirl
02-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks April and Ricardo! I will try to supply everyone who wants them! May take awhile but I will do it. I better stock up on different clays and glaze supplies :D. Good thing I have the all important wheel already!

David Rose
02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
This is exciting Barb...I can't wait to buy a couple of your signed creations!!:p

yim11
02-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks April and Ricardo! I will try to supply everyone who wants them! May take awhile but I will do it. I better stock up on different clays and glaze supplies :D. Good thing I have the all important wheel already!

May want to stock up on free shipping boxes from USPS also ;)
Priority Boxes:
https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&categoryId=10000033&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000002&top_category=10000002&WT.ac=10000033
Flat Rate for those of us that will need many cones: :D
https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&categoryId=10000036&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000002&top_category=10000002&WT.ac=10000036

Don't forget paypal takes 3% off the top when you price it out.

HTHs,
-jim

Disgirl
02-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks David, yes I am excited to get things underway with the cones. And Jim, thanks for the USPS info. I thought I had to get the boxes at the PO only. Good to know there is another way to get them. Yes, I will open a PayPal
account and plan to use the USPS flat rate boxes or Priority. Anyone have an easy way for me to use PP since I have not done it before?

David Rose
02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
It only takes a few minutes to set up a PayPal account using an email address you already have or if you decide to use a new separate email like hotmail, yahoo, or the like. This email address is what you will give to folks to make payments to you. You'll get email confirmations of your activity or you can look at your history logging into your PayPal account whenever you want.

To get funds to/from PayPal, you will need to provide a checking or savings account number at some point, but it's not needed immediately if you want to set up a separate checking account just for your business. It's just a matter of preference. There's a confirmation process where they will put two small deposits into the account you used and you will need to confirm your account once you see what those amounts are on your account statement or if you have online banking access to your account. They take the deposits back once you confirm.

You can also set up multiple bank accounts such as a checking account to withdraw and use a credit card if you wish for purchases when and if needed.

Just go to www.paypal.com when you're ready to set up your account.

Hope that helps!

Take care,
David

yim11
02-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Glad to help.

If you want to keep it simple with paypal, just open your account and give people your email address and instructions on how to pay (what to include in the email, amount, etc). Taking it one step further you could send a money request from paypal that will have a link the customer can click and pay. Next level up would be a custom website showing your products and utilizing paypals cart system.

Clear as mud (or clay ;) )?

Let me know if you need any help.

-jim

Disgirl
02-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks so much David and Jim. Doesn't seem too complicated. I wish to keep it simple, at least for now. If some people don't have PP then I guess they can send a money order. I guess people still do that in these days of high tech everything:D!
Barb :)

Disgirl
02-07-2010, 11:48 AM
I am starting to make cones! I have my own design worked out, they will be a bit different than the ones I have seen here on SD in pictures. They are more "artsy". I need to know whether or not to put in a small air hole at the top? Those of you interested please speak up here and I will go with the majority. Thanks again for your interest!

philip69285
02-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Hmmm Mine doesnt have a small air hole in the top and I wish it did LOL. So Ill go with small air hole :).

David Rose
02-07-2010, 12:59 PM
IMO, doesn't need one. Wrigglers have a tendency to move around on the cone. I would be concerned with them getting trapped or food getting through and decaying to fowl the water.

sherry123
02-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Can't wait till I will need them lol..I just have to find the right discus for my tank now :) been researching and getting the tank set up and ready before I put discus in there..should be anyday now ..Looked at a few already :)

joanr
02-07-2010, 03:03 PM
So what's the purpose of the small air hole anyhow? They are heavy enough so why need to let air out?

rickztahone
02-07-2010, 03:15 PM
So what's the purpose of the small air hole anyhow? They are heavy enough so why need to let air out?

from what i read from Hans is that people were scared of "dead water" that accumulates inside of the cone since it gets no movement. i have no idea of the truth of this so please don't ask :p

Discus-n00b
02-07-2010, 04:25 PM
I find that i get more "dead water" with a hole then without. The hole is handy for getting the air out from under the cone and lifting it in and out of the tank, but other then that I see no real benefit for the hole. I just find myself lifting the cone and cleaning under it more constantly with a hole then without.

Its amazing how much stuff can get in there via a small hole. Granted both no hold and hole trap wastes, but the hole seems to trap more. Ironically the hole makes it easier to clean, because when you lift the cone no hole would hold a suction so once you break the water line all the wastes go pouring back into the tank. A cone with the hole you can lift without the waste really leaving the bottom of the tank.

Discus-Hans
02-07-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm talking about a hole smaller as fry, so no fry dropping in or dirt.

Hans

Jhhnn
02-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Dunno that I'll buy any, but sanding the bottom of the cones flat before firing will help to keep crud from getting underneath...

As a whole other way of looking at it, making cones with scalloped bottom edges and room enough inside to accomodate an ATI sponge filter might be a way to go, with the top hole large enough to accomodate the clear filter chimney...

those with actual breeding experience might want to chime in on that, yea or nay, offer their perspective...

diamond_discus
02-07-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't like those small hole either. I have one without hole and that cone stays very clean. Frys won't get in .. and junk won't get it .. No hole, please.

Disgirl
02-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Ok, no hole it is then. But I can always make some with holes later on if there is a need for them. Had never thought of a cone with a filter inside it. That could be done too. I can make clay do lots of things!
Barb:D

KEWX
02-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Any photos yet?

Disgirl
02-13-2010, 11:43 AM
I have made a dozen in the last week and all I need to do is fire them again and some will be glazed then I will take pics and post them! Should be up in a week or less so please keep checking. Thanks everyone!

philip69285
02-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Cant wait to see them :)

KEWX
02-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Just a thought ................ if you make all the cones with small holes at the top, anybody that doesn't want the hole can fill it with silicone. Then you don't have to worry about whether someone ordered the cone with or without a hole. The more you "customize" the more you should charge.

Disgirl
02-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for that idea Kewx. I may just do that. As of now, I plan to take orders and then make what people ask for from the options I offer. I am used to doing pottery by special order so this may work well too. Coming soon...

Disgirl
02-14-2010, 12:08 PM
If all goes as planned I will have pictures to show you this coming Thursday Feb 18. So far so good with my design and the first ones!

philip69285
02-14-2010, 01:01 PM
I would love to be one of the first ones to get one of these pieces :)...

Disgirl
02-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Pictures coming Thursday afternoon, about 1pm EST. Thanks to all who have expressed interest in these breeding cones! Hope you will like em!

roclement
02-16-2010, 09:26 PM
I want a numered, limited edition first run, signed by the artist! Sign me up and tell me when I can pay pal you and how much!

Question: Is it possible to make a cone with one flat surface on an angle like a slate for breeding angels? This way one design = good for two species!

Just an idea...

Rod

Disgirl
02-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Maybe Rod, I will work on it :D. All my pieces will be signed. Watch here Thurs. 1pm!
Barb

Eddie
02-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I want a numered, limited edition first run, signed by the artist! Sign me up and tell me when I can pay pal you and how much!

Question: Is it possible to make a cone with one flat surface on an angle like a slate for breeding angels? This way one design = good for two species!

Just an idea...

Rod

Me too, first Peaches and Cream cone!

Eddie

rickztahone
02-17-2010, 01:30 AM
hey Barb, if you are artistically inclined with a paint brush how about you paint a diagram right on the cone showing the discus how it's suppose to be done? LOL. can't wait till Thursday, good luck!

seanyuki
02-17-2010, 06:32 PM
It's still Wednesday......love to see those ...http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo232/aiseanyuki/thawesome-21.jpg looking breeding cones....:)

Disgirl
03-28-2010, 11:35 AM
To anyone reading this post, please go to my sponsor section at Simply Discus, Delightful Designs Discus Cones, for further info. on ordering my cones. I also make Pleco caves for sale. Thanks!
Barb

jhdtran
01-24-2012, 08:40 PM
I am too

Disgirl
01-24-2012, 08:46 PM
What do you mean?
Barb

roydooms
01-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Can't seem to find where to order. Any link to direct me pls. Thanks.

Larry Bugg
01-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Just send her a email or PM and let her know what you want.