PDA

View Full Version : Ash in the Aquarium

Macca
01-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi all, my sons got hold of some wood which we beleive to be Ash, he's cut it into root like structures (if stood upside down) and removed all the stringy bits. Before he goes to town and strips the bark does anyone know if ash is a suitable wood for the aquarium?

Cheers, Macca

Macca
01-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Took the plunge, one piece stripped, the before and after, he's still undecided.....

macca

Buckster
01-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Those branches look very "fresh". Newly cut wood can leach toxins (sap ect.)into the aquarium. Wood that has been dead for a long time is far safer in my opinion.

exv152
01-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Those branches look very "fresh". Newly cut wood can leach toxins (sap ect.)into the aquarium. Wood that has been dead for a long time is far safer in my opinion.

There are also some kinds of ash that are from the evergreen family, which means they could leak sap into the water. I would agree with buckster to stick with driftwood from the store, or deadwood that has been boiled at the very least.

Macca
01-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Cheers guys, he's gonna stick with the original idea of using manzanita for darker root structure, so liaising with a couple of suppliers over there in the US.

Macca