PDA

View Full Version : How much should they grow?

mlw
01-20-2010, 12:08 PM
if you purchase 2.5 to 3 inch discus and have them for two months, assuming they are healthy, how much growth would you expect to see?

I have 1 fish that has grown at least an inch in the 7 weeks I have had it but should it have grown more? The others have seen some growth but not that much maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch in 7 weeks.

Dutch dude
01-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Below the average growth of Stendker discus. This info came from Discus Hans.

2 - 2 1/2" = 3 months of age
3 - 3 1/2" = 4 1/2 months of age
4" = 6 months of age
5" = 9 months of age
6" = 18 months of age
7"+ = 2 year.

So according to the above info your fish should have grown around 1 inch. Some fish will grow faster and can reach the 6-7 inch as adult and some stay smaller and reach 5-6 inch. I also notised that the fish grow in stages. Sometimes they grow fast in a short period and sometimes they grow slower but defelop more colloration, paterns or the body shape is changing. At this size and assumed age only 1/4 to 1/2 inch isn't enough growth in a period of 2 months. It can be the food, the water but maybe the fish were already behind in growth.

tdiscusman
01-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Most people would say that good growth is 1" in a month, but it all depends on the size of the discus and the strain (some would grow faster than other). Around 4" the growth would slow down a bit. if you had 2.5"-3" and grew to 4" in 7 weeks. then I think it's good growth rate.

Tony

tdiscusman
01-20-2010, 12:24 PM

4" = 6 months of age
5" = 9 months of age
6" = 18 months of age
7"+ = 2 year.

So according to the above info your fish should have grown around 1 inch. Some fish will grow faster and can reach the 6-7 inch as adult and some stay smaller and reach 5-6 inch. I also notised that the fish grow in stages. Sometimes they grow fast in a short period and sometimes they grow slower but defelop more colloration, paterns or the body shape is changing. At this size and assumed age only 1/4 to 1/2 inch isn't enough growth in a period of 2 months. It can be the food, the water but maybe the fish were already behind in growth.

This is great information, are the sized measured as SL or TL?

Thanks
Tony

Dutch dude
01-20-2010, 12:37 PM
according to Hans a fish got a tail so it should be measured ;) The size is TL total length.

mlw
01-20-2010, 02:00 PM
I have blue cobalts. Only 1 of them has grown to 4 inches if tail is included it is a little over 4. The others are lagging. Interesting part is the biggest one was right in the middle. I had two bigger and two smaller and now he is the biggest of the bunch.

They don't fight much, no real aggression. No one fish is being harrased, just slow growers I guess. Will keep doing the water changes and the feedings and see what happens.

Dutch dude
01-20-2010, 04:55 PM
At that age they don't quarel that much but when they start to mature the quareling often starts until the picking order is determined.

There might be a good reason for the slow growing. I suggest to check the basics like lots of large water changes, good qualety and various foods in addition to mainly beefheart, and health (worms?). Basically there are 2 way's of feeding,....lots of smaller feeds during the entire day (8 or more small feeds) or 3 to 4 larger feeds separated in equal periods like every 8 hours (7:00/15:00/23:00). Most prefer lots of small feeds.

Good luck :)

Tito
01-21-2010, 10:20 AM

4" = 6 months of age
5" = 9 months of age
6" = 18 months of age
7"+ = 2 year.

Far as I'm concern this info is right on. I grew out 8 Discus from 2" and I experienced all of this. Some had growth spruts, others would color more then grow. As far as the age to size - I would say that is right on as well. But my Discus are not Stendker Discus - so marketing purposes aside - I would say any Discus show reflect these measurements and growth pattern.

seanyuki
01-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Good diets and regular water changes daily .......should grow at least 1/2 ins monthly

Dutch dude
01-21-2010, 02:20 PM
As far as the age to size - I would say that is right on as well. But my Discus are not Stendker Discus - so marketing purposes aside - I would say any Discus show reflect these measurements and growth pattern.

I don't intend to market the breeder (actualy I hade quit some critiques towards them in several posts). I do think diferent lines of discus have diferent rates in development. Some strains show nice strong colors at 4 inch while others just start to show the first paterns and colorations. So the size v.s. age is only a guide. In my expirience the fastest growing fish from the Stendker strain show the most flaws. The mid sized group seems to be the best shaped discus so far. So fast growing isn't always the best.

One can read astonishing growth rates like 2 inch at 7 weeks of age. I'm not sure if this info is reliable and I have some doubts abouth it. I also doubt if this is healthy growth or just us humans want to make a new record on growth rate and size.

When fish grow older and are around 6 months of age the growth slows down. The fish start to defelop more body mass and also change in shape and coloration. If fish are stunted at young age they might be 4 inch and 1 year of age. Don't expect much growth out of such a fish and it won't grow as much as a 4 inch 5 months old fish.