PDA

View Full Version : Discus Strain?

daverock1337
01-27-2010, 11:09 PM
have no idea what strain this guy is, he was not eating in my friends tank so he gave him to me.

thanks for any help identifying him.

Moon
01-27-2010, 11:29 PM
It's a pigeon blood.

poconoboss
01-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Must be Cajun, cause he's so heavily peppered he's almost blackened.

daverock1337
01-27-2010, 11:43 PM
he was sold to my friend as a marlboro red in a pair. the other one died and this one was being bullied by two much larger turquoise discus. do his fins look odd to you guys? i didn;t think they were supposed to be that tall. next i need to get him some tank mates, i just treated the tank with erythromycin for cyanobacteria that was taking over.

will the peppering go away? i think he is maybe 8 months to a year old and about 3 inches. maybe only 2.5"

phatdave
01-27-2010, 11:53 PM
His fins look bad, his color looks bad. He doesn't look healthy at all.

The black will probably not go away.

Dave...but the price was right.

philip69285
01-27-2010, 11:54 PM
peppering probably will never go away... even if given lighter background and substrate... poor quality pigeons show pepper all the time. It looks like a hi-body and probably Marlboro

bs6749
01-28-2010, 01:02 AM
Peppering can go away. I've experienced it firsthand. It goes away from high lighting and also from sickness in PB based fish among others.

Eddie
01-28-2010, 04:43 AM
Thats a dirty bird. ;)

Elite Aquaria
01-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Welcome to Simply...Like others have stated that is a PB...Personally if you have had to treat your tank my opinion would be to clean out the tank and restart with some clean high quality stock...It will take the same amount of your efforts to raise and care for a high or poor quality group of discus...now what would you rather have after 1 year of your efforts???

daverock1337
01-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Welcome to Simply...Like others have stated that is a PB...Personally if you have had to treat your tank my opinion would be to clean out the tank and restart with some clean high quality stock...It will take the same amount of your efforts to raise and care for a high or poor quality group of discus...now what would you rather have after 1 year of your efforts???

definitely not tearing down my planted tank that has been established for over a year now.other than the high fins, he is a very active and healthy fish. i plan on getting another discus from my friend whose blue turqs are bullying everyone else (discus wise) in the tank. after that i'll add some cardinals, a bn pleco, a pair of blue rams, and a pair of triple red dwarf cockatoos. i only treated the tank for cyanobacteria (erythromycin is awesome for that, especially if you can get a 4 dollar script from wal-mart), and right now that pigeon blood is the only fish in the tank, ever since my flowerhorn and jack dempsey died. (lost power for 6 days in the middle of december in wv)

Darrell Ward
01-28-2010, 10:58 PM
definitely not tearing down my planted tank that has been established for over a year now.other than the high fins, he is a very active and healthy fish. i plan on getting another discus from my friend whose blue turqs are bullying everyone else (discus wise) in the tank. after that i'll add some cardinals, a bn pleco, a pair of blue rams, and a pair of triple red dwarf cockatoos. i only treated the tank for cyanobacteria (erythromycin is awesome for that, especially if you can get a 4 dollar script from wal-mart), and right now that pigeon blood is the only fish in the tank, ever since my flowerhorn and jack dempsey died. (lost power for 6 days in the middle of december in wv)

So, you had a discus, a flowerhorn, and a jack dempsey in the same tank? That's bizarre! Now you want to get only one discus to go with that cull? IMO, no offense intended, you need to learn about about the needs of discus before you get any more.

Wahter
01-28-2010, 11:45 PM

If you put in another discus in that tank, chances are good that one of the discus will bully the other one, just like your friend's blue turqs are bullying the others. Don't forget discus are cichlids and they can be territorial. If your tank is large enough, get a few discus to spread out the aggression.

Walter

Jason K.
01-29-2010, 12:27 AM
pigeon blood

DiscusFreakaZoid
01-29-2010, 01:00 AM
[QUOTE=daverock1337;610380]definitely not tearing down my planted tank that has been established for over a year now.other than the high fins, he is a very active and healthy fish.

He has been eating in your tank then? you mentioned he didnt eat in your friends tank. As long as he is eating and being active no reason to cull him. Its a living creature just lil on the unattractive side but to each its own. I would never cull a healthy fish even if its Fugly:alien:

Darrell Ward
01-29-2010, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=daverock1337;610380]definitely not tearing down my planted tank that has been established for over a year now.other than the high fins, he is a very active and healthy fish.

He has been eating in your tank then? you mentioned he didnt eat in your friends tank. As long as he is eating and being active no reason to cull him. Its a living creature just lil on the unattractive side but to each its own. I would never cull a healthy fish even if its Fugly:alien:

I just feel it's foolish to spend time, money, and valuable tank space on fish that will never amount to anything. No offense.:) In nature, inferior specimens end up as food for other species. Daverock, I think you need to learn more about the needs of discus, judging from the original stock list. Discus need to be in groups, or they feel insecure and stress. They do not belong in a tank with aggressive fish. Actually, they seem to do best when kept in a species tank. Juvie discus should never be placed in a planted tank as a rule. It's not the best environment for them. Clean, warm water always, and quality food is the rule. Good luck.

daverock1337
01-29-2010, 05:36 PM
no, first i had a flowerhorn and a jack dempsey, then i had a freeze out, and after gettin everything back in order, i got this discus from my friend. i do want to upgrade my aquarium size, but in a 29 gallon i do not want to overcrowd the discus. the other one i am gonna get from my friend used to always hide with the one i currently have in his 69 gallon bowfront. i do know enough about discus to not put them together with a jack dempsey and a flowerhorn haha.

Darrell Ward
01-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Sorry, I guess I missed that doing "speed reading".

exv152
01-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Personally I don't see it as foolish to keep stunted discus when your sole intention is to keep them as pets. I'd rather see someone who has some aquarist skills looking after them, than what I've seen in some small pet shops. No intention to step on any toes, but in the wild discus live with a large variety of other species, including aggressive fish.

Darrell Ward
01-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Personally I don't see it as foolish to keep stunted discus when your sole intention is to keep them as pets. I'd rather see someone who has some aquarist skills looking after them, than what I've seen in some small pet shops. No intention to step on any toes, but in the wild discus live with a large variety of other species, including aggressive fish.

Yes, but in the wild, they have room to escape the agressive fish, in an aquarium, they can't escape.

smiley
01-30-2010, 04:57 PM
If you have already brought him --- > Dont cull him...let him live. Your parents didnt 'cull' ya just because you had your first pimple...did they?
If you havent still brought him home ---> Then don't ;)