PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Powered 350 Penguin

Eddie
01-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Just broke down my super turbo powered Penguin 350. Generally this filter uses 4 disposable cartridges, that are basically filter floss and activated carbon. I don't use carbon and the cartridges are total junk (money making scheme). Anyways, about the only decent part of the filter is the bio-wheel which still isn't my first option for the bacteria bed. I prefer a decent media and sponge over anything. I picked up a few Penguin media cartridges and filled them with Eheim Substrate Pro. I then used Poret Foam from Hans, that I custom cut to fill the gap at that rear of the filter assembly. So the filter pulls water through the Poret foam first, and then hits the Substrate Pro Cartridges and then finally passes along the bio-wheel. The bio-wheel is the last step of bio filtration and its not even the most effective part of this set-up. To top it all off, I custom cut an Aqua Clear 110 sponge, to fit over the intake tube strainer.

Not my first choice of filter by any means, but I had a ton of these Penguin 350s laying around and figured I'd put them to good use. I rarely have to break this filter down, just rinse off the pre-filter every other day if that. Aside from that, this thing is definitely a turbo powered nitrification monster!

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Penguin%20350/IMG_7014.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Penguin%20350/IMG_7015.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Penguin%20350/IMG_7016.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Penguin%20350/IMG_7018.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Penguin%20350/IMG_7019.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Penguin%20350/IMG_7020.jpg

ockyra215
03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Eddie,
Thats a good idea I am going to borrow it from you...If you dont mind ofcourse.:D

David Rose
03-01-2010, 09:16 PM
I have two of the Emperor 400s and one 350. I basically did the same thing less the Poret foam when I was using them. At one point, I used four media cartridges plus cut-to-size floss pads. I got the idea of the Eheim substrate from advice you had given last summer.

This approach certainly does make them discus friendly and more productive, but agreed...not my first choice either. I've since retired mine...at least for now.

You're always sharing some good ideas Eddie! Thanks!;)

JL15219
03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I was thinking of making a prefilter for my Emperor 400...I have seen may say to use a Aquaclear 110 sponge like you did hear but is it not too porous would it be better for it to be finer so it would trap smaller particles? Just curious?

Eddie
03-01-2010, 09:43 PM
I was thinking of making a prefilter for my Emperor 400...I have seen may say to use a Aquaclear 110 sponge like you did hear but is it not too porous would it be better for it to be finer so it would trap smaller particles? Just curious?

Thanks guys! Had plenty of poret foam to make dividers and use pieces for filters and such.

The AC sponge was too porous and I have since switched to women stockings (idea from mikel). Its super good at keep particles out and really keeps you rinsing it daily as it can get fouled quickly and slow down water input/out from the filter.

Eddie

JL15219
03-01-2010, 09:56 PM
LOL what really...and it doesnt have any kind of weird chemical or anything that will harm the fish? That is way cheaper than buying an aquaclear 110 sponge....does it matter what kind of stocking?

Thanks guys! Had plenty of poret foam to make dividers and use pieces for filters and such.

The AC sponge was too porous and I have since switched to women stockings (idea from mikel). Its super good at keep particles out and really keeps you rinsing it daily as it can get fouled quickly and slow down water input/out from the filter.

Eddie

Eddie
03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
LOL what really...and it doesnt have any kind of weird chemical or anything that will harm the fish? That is way cheaper than buying an aquaclear 110 sponge....does it matter what kind of stocking?

Good thinking but I just get some cheap Japanese ones and they work fine. Fish are fine and have been since I have been using them. You may want to check the material if you try it.

Eddie

Double Up
03-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Did something nearly identical with a pengiun 200 !

ExReefer
03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I use this pre-filter sponge on my Emperor 400:

http://www.amazon.com/Danner-Eugene-Pond-12730-Pre-Filter/dp/B0002564GW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1268410873&sr=8-1

I like it because it's black and blends in better with the filter. I had to cut it a bit to make it work, but I like it.

Eddie
03-13-2010, 06:27 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Danner-Eugene-Pond-12730-Pre-Filter/dp/B0002564GW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1268410873&sr=8-1

I like it because it's black and blends in better with the filter. I had to cut it a bit to make it work, but I like it.

That definitely looks like a better pre-filter. I like the small, dense pores for better debris entrapment.

Eddie

JL15219
03-18-2010, 02:04 AM

Thanks for the link...I might try that...

limpert
05-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Do you think that ceramic rings would fit in the new penguin media cartridges? I noticed that the Eheim substrat is a little pricey.

I am trying to do away with carbon completely...

kitykatfunkiehat
05-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Where'd you find the media cartridges? I've never seen any of those anywhere. I have the 400 and I just use the cartridges that come with it..but I suck at anything technical. Do you have to replace any of what you're using? Or just clean it off a bit? Cause I know the floss on the cartridges I have deteriorates quickly.

Eddie
05-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Where'd you find the media cartridges? I've never seen any of those anywhere. I have the 400 and I just use the cartridges that come with it..but I suck at anything technical. Do you have to replace any of what you're using? Or just clean it off a bit? Cause I know the floss on the cartridges I have deteriorates quickly.

Hey there Jenna, I have 2 extra that I can send you for free! Give me your address and I'll get them sent of on Tuesday. ;)

Eddie

kitykatfunkiehat
05-06-2010, 08:13 PM
NO WAY! I'll pm you. :D

Eddie
05-06-2010, 08:27 PM
NO WAY! I'll pm you. :D

Will ship them out Tuesday! ;)

mugzy213
05-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Hey Eddie,

great pictures.

Hey I was wondering if your having the same problems with the impellers? I have replaced them about 3 time this year. 19 bucks 3 times get pricy:)

another question what Is the best way to clean those filter and the media?

I used bleach and set it up in the sink and let it run. I took out the media tho:)

Have you ever ordered replacement parts for this filter? Man there way over priced 14.00 for a bio wheel?

Eddie

Eddie
05-27-2010, 05:22 AM
Hey Eddie,

great pictures.

Hey I was wondering if your having the same problems with the impellers? I have replaced them about 3 time this year. 19 bucks 3 times get pricy:)

another question what Is the best way to clean those filter and the media?

I used bleach and set it up in the sink and let it run. I took out the media tho:)

Have you ever ordered replacement parts for this filter? Man there way over priced 14.00 for a bio wheel?

Man, I've never had to replace the impeller ever. The media is a breeze, just pull out the media baskets and sponges and rinse, easy as pie. Never once had to order parts for any of my Penguins. :o

Eddie

roundfishross
05-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Eddie did you remove the spray bar asembly on the biowheel?

Eddie
05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Eddie did you remove the spray bar asembly on the biowheel?

Hey Leo, these are 350's so no spray bars. I believe the 400s are the ones with the spray bars. ;)

Eddie

roundfishross
05-28-2010, 08:14 AM
ya went and looked a little better and they are actually emporer and not penguins i guess the spray bar is the only difference!!

Eddie
05-28-2010, 08:22 AM
ya went and looked a little better and they are actually emporer and not penguins i guess the spray bar is the only difference!!

I remember the 400s had the spray bar, been ages since I've seen one. Got to be a pain to clean that puppy. :o

roundfishross
05-28-2010, 08:27 AM
basically cleaning is the same i never heve to touch the sprayers, hey congrats on the raise bro !!! have you ever been at wrab. i live really close!

Eddie
05-28-2010, 08:33 AM
basically cleaning is the same i never heve to touch the sprayers, hey congrats on the raise bro !!! have you ever been at wrab. i live really close!

Thanks Leo. I have been to Warner Robbins actually. Only once and it was a VERY long time ago. Must have been over 10 years ago. If I ever got through there again, I'll have to look you up for sure.

Take care,

Eddie

Foxfire
05-31-2010, 04:36 PM
Brillant! Best idea I have seen for an aquarium filter ever! I will copy asap!
:):D:balloon:

broncofan27
04-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Eddie I know this is an old thread but you did exactly what I want to do with my 350. Where can I get the poret? I am not seeing it on Han's site.

broncofan27
04-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Eddie I know this is an old thread but you did exactly what I want to do with my 350. Where can I get the poret? I am not seeing it on Han's site.

Ok I found the website to order this stuff from. What thickness did you use for blue filter media inside the filter? I was also thinking I could use this same stuff as a pre-filter on the intake.

moon_knight1971
04-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Awesome idea eddie! Going to "borrow" your idea of stockings over my AC110s.

Eddie
04-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Ok I found the website to order this stuff from. What thickness did you use for blue filter media inside the filter? I was also thinking I could use this same stuff as a pre-filter on the intake.

You could, it's the finer stuff that Hans carries. I had to trim the sponges down to get them to fit but they work great! ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

dadecountyalan
04-07-2011, 07:44 PM
eddie i have that same filter setup in my tank except for the one sponge the outside.

Crockett
04-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Found this online the other day (see link) and thought this thread would be a good place to share it.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/power_filter_tricks_v.php

Crockett

Eddie
04-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Yeah, that ones not bad but I like having the additional poret sponges behind the media container. Thanks for the link.

Darrell Ward
04-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Good use of an otherwise crappy cartridge filter. Poret foam is very useful stuff. I've used it for dividers, prefilters, even cut 4" thick pieces of it to fit "box" filters that I once used for "Purigen" in a sump, turning them into sponge filters. This is great if you have plecos that enjoy eating regular sponge filters.

Crockett
04-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Yeah, that ones not bad but I like having the additional poret sponges behind the media container. Thanks for the link.

Eddie I also think I prefer your method with the additional poret sponges, good idea.

Crockett