PDA

View Full Version : Anubias...how much??

lkleung007
01-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi Gang,

I am thinking about adding anubias to my tanks for color and for removing nitrates. I have spare driftwood from Jehmco and am going to attach the anubias to it. I was wondering how many anubias plants to get for a 75G, 120G and 125G tank?? Also is there a particular type of anubias to get...ie: anubias nana vs. some others.

Thanks for your input,
Lester

darbex
01-31-2010, 03:17 PM
IMO its as many as you want I have tried almost all of the types of anubias and I think I like the Bateri the best I have noticed that with the Lancelota and others that their leaves tend to die off over time and you have to pull them. With my Bateri I have never had to pull the leaves because of turning brown. I think I remember reading somewhere that amazon swords are better nitrate users than anubias but I could be wrong.

Sharkbait
01-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Swords are just larger plants in general. The larger the plant, the more nutrients they will suck up.

Any amount of plants you put in your tank is ENTIRELY up to you. There is no minimum or max - unless they start to seriously take up valuable swimming room.

Research the various types of plants that you would want to keep (low-light, low-tech will be best for you).

lkleung007
01-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the input!!

I may just start slow and use one plant per driftwood. Is there a good source for anubias on-line...or should I go local at a fish store??

Lester

fishorama
01-31-2010, 04:22 PM
I have a few kinds of anubias not all of which I have names for. Barteri barteri has large leaves ~3x4 inch & seems to grow fairly fast for anubias. I have 2 large 10x 10x 8 inch in a 75g & lots of roots.
Barteri nana sometime just a.nana has much smaller leaves ~1 inch, nana petite even smaller.
I have 2 w/lance shaped leaves, 1 small ~3 inch total stem & leaf, another is ~8 inches total. Both are very slow growing for me.
Coffeefolia (cafefolia) is similar to nana with slightly bigger wavy leaves but slower growing IME. This is the only kind I've killed, 2 seemed to have a rotted center to the rhizome so it's not my favorite LOL.

I especially like nana or petite climbing on wood, the large leaved kinds are too large for a "natural" vine look but SAEs like to rest on them.
As to how many, it depends on if you want an instant look or are willing to wait a good while & how much money you want to spend.

darbex
01-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Swords are just larger plants in general. The larger the plant, the more nutrients they will suck up.

I was talking more that per square inch the Amazon is better.

FSM
01-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Anubias grows very slow. The nana in my 75 gallon grows a new leaf every week or two.

You would be much better off with some stem plants or an algae scrubber.