PDA

View Full Version : Sump media

colinlp
02-01-2010, 03:03 AM
I have ordered a new aquarium and sump from a UK manufacturer, 68" x 30" x 24" and the sump 48" x 18" x 18" in their standard 4 section design.

What media would you recommend for this? I was thinking of coarse foam on the intake followed by chamber 2 with bioballs and chamber 3 either with bioballs of alphagrog. What do you think or recommend?

Chad Hughes
02-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I have ordered a new aquarium and sump from a UK manufacturer, 68" x 30" x 24" and the sump 48" x 18" x 18" in their standard 4 section design.

What media would you recommend for this? I was thinking of coarse foam on the intake followed by chamber 2 with bioballs and chamber 3 either with bioballs of alphagrog. What do you think or recommend?

Check out Matala fitler media. Works great and comes in different densities. I use all four densities in large sumps. No need for bio balls. Matal has a much higher surface area.

Best wishes!

pcsb23
02-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I have allsorts in mine, from filter floss matting, sponges, grog, ceramic rings, bio balls even plastic bottle tops! :o

colinlp
02-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Thanks, I get the picture. I was worried that order might be important, I guess not as long as there is something there for water to pass over. I've read about so many types and people recommending this or that, very confusing.

jeff@zina.com
02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
I was worried that order might be important...

In a way, it is. The first filter material should be foam pads or something that will trap large particles and that can be easily cleaned. The next should be a biofilter, something like wet/dry bioballs, lava rock, rings or other biological support. If you use a plant material, make it last, whether it's live plants in the sump or an algae filter or whatever.

Jeff

colinlp
02-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Yes I thought foam should be first to get the lumps out of the water so to speak. What is a wet/dry? I haven't managed to find a definitive answer to that, I thought maybe a trickle tower but it seems to apply to a more standard sump too.

I think what I'm worried about is the balance of water output/input/throughput. If I put to much media in do I risk starving the pump? I'm planning to have an overflow on the input side so I can run a trickle water change system. I'm concerned that if I don't put enough in I wont get enough filtration. I suppose once I run one for a day or so I should be able to answer my own questions but that is weeks away yet and I would like to get prepared if I could.

jeff@zina.com
02-03-2010, 09:41 AM
What is a wet/dry? I haven't managed to find a definitive answer to that, I thought maybe a trickle tower but it seems to apply to a more standard sump too.

A trickle tower is a wet/dry filter. Any filter material where the media is not continuously submerged is a wet/dry filter. The idea is that organisms that grown in these environments can remove more organics from the water.

Jeff

colinlp
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks Jeff, I thought so. Interesting about the wet dry bacteria, I have been keeping planted tanks running CO2 and had hoped to avoid a trickle tower but recently or more precisely since trying some discus and throwing away most of my CO2 daily I've been wondering about going low tech and doing away with it.
The new tank I have ordered has a weir with a drilled bottom, could I fill this with bio balls or would I be better having it in a tube underneath if I went this way?

jeff@zina.com
02-04-2010, 10:45 AM
The new tank I have ordered has a weir with a drilled bottom, could I fill this with bio balls...

You can, it's just hard to clean that way.

Jeff

colinlp
02-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Now that's a fair point :)
Cheers

damian_ireland
02-08-2010, 06:37 AM
any update on your sump ? will be setting up something similar very soon ?

colinlp
02-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Sorry, didn't see your post. No not yet it's not coming until the end of March, a pain waiting but it's giving me more time to work out what I need to do to get it right. One thing that is worrying me is how much pump power will I need, I suppose no way of knowing until it comes and I can have a play. Starting off with 1 3000L/h pump and going to add more until I get a decent flow.

Another question here, what method of returning this water into the tank would you recommend? The tank will be planted BTW, spraybar or an open pipe? Where in the tank would you place these so as to get a good flow without knocking the poor discus over as they swim

damian_ireland
02-24-2010, 05:47 PM
pump question is a good one, i am not sure. i plan on having an external in the tank as well as people have said that the weir will not suck up the poo that well

jeff@zina.com
02-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Another question here, what method of returning this water into the tank would you recommend? The tank will be planted BTW, spraybar or an open pipe? Where in the tank would you place these so as to get a good flow without knocking the poor discus over as they swim

Spraybars are good for eliminating drastic currents in a tank. If you use a simple pipe outlet, direct it over the surface or along the bottom and discus can stay out of the current usually. One advantage in a bottom discharge is that it can move detritus to the other end where it has a greater chance of being sucked up by the intake for your filter.

Jeff

colinlp
02-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks Jeff, I've built a sand bank Out of stones and epoxy resin to create a terrace to try and reduce the food waste that might end up in the plants so a flow along the bottom might create a problem for me. I think I might try an open pipe first at the weir end pointing along the surface to the other end of the tank, if it's too much then we'll get a spraybar.

damian_ireland
03-01-2010, 12:11 PM
colin,
Did you get a new ClearSeal aquarium ?

colinlp
03-01-2010, 12:20 PM
No, it's coming from Aquariums Ltd. Not getting it until the end of the month, I'm getting fed up waiting now :mad: Wishing my life away!!

damian_ireland
03-01-2010, 01:02 PM
My clearseal arrived last week. waiting on 3d background at the moment and my floor is uneven so i need to get that sorted as well... check you floor

damian_ireland
03-02-2010, 07:57 AM
am i missing something or should i not have carbon in my sump ?
My plan was for filterwool(like juwel white) filter pad coarse(like juwel blue) then active carbon, then coarse then bioballs.
Anything wrong with that ?

swampy1972
04-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi there,

I've included a couple of pics of a sump layout I'm copying from a very experienced member of another forum (thanks Hollowman, hope you don't mind). They show both layout and media. Hope they help.
If you want to put media in your weir, have you considered containing it in an open weave bag so you can simply remove the whole bag to rinse through for cleaning?
Finally, your question about starving your pump. Remember that your system will be running on a gravity return so the volume of water coming into the sump is set by the amount initally provided by the pump. To starve the pump, the media would have to be that heavily compacted that water can't get through it. Looking at the design of your sump, I don't think this would be possible.
I look forward to seeing pics of your setup.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/swampy1972/tank_1_178.jpg

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/swampy1972/sump5_small.jpg

Steven Turitz
04-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi Swampy
Very interesting design with lots of different bio filter material.
Is there a drip tray and is there a prefilter?
Am I correct that the flow is from right to left.
Do you have the width of each of the 5 compartments & the gaps?
Steve

swampy1972
05-27-2010, 12:43 AM
Hi Steve,
Sorry for the slow reply, I've been away from the forum for a while.
The design isn't mine, although I'd suggest that a drip tray wouldn't be required since it a submerged media sump although the choice is yours if you prefer.
Your correct about the direction of flow, right to left. The return pump up to the tank is in the final chamber. The dimenions are in the first pic although you can vary them dependant on your needs or preference.
I hope this helps.
Swampy.