PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise on salt

OneOnOne1719
02-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Hi everyone,
Well sometimes my fish look like they are stress especially after a w/c. I usually just put some salt in the tank (API) from my local pet store and they look good after some salt. My question is does anybody use some other type of salf that i can get at regular store ex. Meijers/Walmart

thank You
Omar

William Palumbo
02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I use just plain NON-IODIZED table salt bought from Jewels or Wal-Mart, in the round containers. Way cheaper than pet shop salt...Bill

David Rose
02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
If they are stressed after a water change, I would find out why first such as a shift in pH, TDS or some other irritant.

Salt is really only needed for therapeutic reasons or if stressed from transition like when you first get them or a major tank overhaul or move.

OneOnOne1719
02-02-2010, 02:24 PM
David,
Well when I 1st seen that my fish where stress I found that my PH was diff from my tank I started ageing my water in a 55gal container with same temperature as my tank. I will keep doing research to find out why they get stress after w/c.

thanks david

Bill,
I will be going to jewel/walmart after work for my salt :)

Thanks bill

underwaterforest
02-02-2010, 05:43 PM
I've been using Ice Cream salt aka rock salt from the store for years with no prob. The special aquarium salt is just that, specially priced rock salt. As previously mentioned all you need to do is buy the non-iodized variety and your set. Sometimes I buy the name brand muntons salt compared to the no name brand just because it is only 10 cents more and I guess it makes me feel better, but I bet they both come from the same mine. Just my .02.

Keith Perkins
02-02-2010, 07:31 PM
David,
Well when I 1st seen that my fish where stress I found that my PH was diff from my tank I started ageing my water in a 55gal container with same temperature as my tank. I will keep doing research to find out why they get stress after w/c.

thanks david

Bill,
I will be going to jewel/walmart after work for my salt :)

Thanks bill

Bill - You should try adding an airstone (with an air pump attached to it of course :)) to your water reservoir. That would help with PH bounce of the new water as well.

William Palumbo
02-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Omar...are you in Chicago, on Lake Michigan water?...Bill

Jhhnn
02-02-2010, 09:11 PM
I've used both iodized and non iodized salt w/ no issues. I was concerned about the anti-caking additives, however, so I looked a little harder at the grocery, found morton's canning and pickling salt- pure salt, no additives. cheaper than aquarium salt, more expensive by weight than regular table salt. Some people use rock salt, as mentioned, or water softener pelletized salt, too...

I like the canning and pickling salt because I know it's food grade...

joanr
02-03-2010, 12:24 AM
I use Margarita Salt in the 8 oz tubs from Walmart. Pure Salt, nice texture to it, dissolves faster/better than the API salt and not as grainy as regular salt. And I like the price.

Keith Perkins
02-03-2010, 12:54 AM
JOAN! What a waste of good Margarita Salt. :D

OneOnOne1719
02-03-2010, 03:03 AM
I would like to thank everyone for their input on how to replace my local pet store salt with a more cost friendly salt from a retail store

Thank you all
Omar

hi bill,
Well I'm in Algonquin IL but I always put Chicago for my location. I'm not sure where my water comes from. I know that my PH from faucet is 6.3 but after a day of ageing my water it raises to around 7.6

Scribbles
02-03-2010, 06:18 AM
Do you know what your GH and KH are?

Chris

joanr
02-03-2010, 08:42 PM
JOAN! What a waste of good Margarita Salt. :D

Believe it or not it's far cheaper than the Morton Food Grade salt at Walmart, and I like the tub it comes in. It has the perfect density and texture also. Try it! and then make a blender of Margaritas....

Eddie
02-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Believe it or not it's far cheaper than the Morton Food Grade salt at Walmart, and I like the tub it comes in. It has the perfect density and texture also. Try it! and then make a blender of Margaritas....

Margaritas sound good! :D A little on the rim and a little in the tank. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

nc0gnet0
02-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Morton Water softener salt.....solar variety with no additives or rust inhibitors, anything else is just a waste.

dbfzurowski
02-05-2010, 05:15 PM
I would like to thank everyone for their input on how to replace my local pet store salt with a more cost friendly salt from a retail store

Thank you all
Omar

hi bill,
Well I'm in Algonquin IL but I always put Chicago for my location. I'm not sure where my water comes from. I know that my PH from faucet is 6.3 but after a day of ageing my water it raises to around 7.6

wow, i'm in niles, il and my water is 7.6+ from faucet and same in tank, kh <1deg and gh 20deg and your not that far from me.
do you use prime? my water contains nitrite/nitrate so does yours maybe?

DiscusFreakaZoid
02-05-2010, 07:20 PM
i use the salt i use to melt the ice in my driveway:D

joanr
02-06-2010, 01:13 PM
I've often wondered, do we need to adjust the dosing with the various types of salt used? I mean the density of rock salt vs table salt, wouldn't that effect the amount to use?