PDA

View Full Version : New to planted and discuss. Doing both - help with plan please!

overthetop2009
02-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and three years into tropical fish keeping. I have been maintaining a pristine environment for my Oscar, Jack Dempsey, Convict and Silver Dollars... obviously no plants. The tank is 90 gallons, has two Eheim 2217 filters and I have never had water quality issues. I change 90% of the water in my tank once a week.

Believe it or not my current tank does not qualify as a hoby any more than owning a dog would be called a hoby. 1 hour a week maintenance routine. I want to do more with my aquarium keeping.. I want a hoby, a project where I feel I am accomplishing something great. I do have a little money to spend having spent over a grand on my basic new setup. I want to be successful is the bottom line.

I have read as much as possible on forums and articles on discuss and planted aquariums and have just bought the equipment needed to run a new planted tank (most of it). I want to have a medium intensity planted environment, cardinals, cory's and eventually when the tank is mature and I know what I'm doing; discus.

The tank is 75 gallons. I believe I have 130W of light and have bought 5 - 20 pound bags of pre-washed substrate for plants(forget the name), heater (Eheim), another Eheim 2217 (going on O tank - O tank filter going on new tank), fert, bottle of Seachem (maybe got name wrong) liquid CO2.

It is all scheduled for delivery tomorow at which time I will set this up.

Plan/More info. <-- critique apreciated.
Day 1.
1. I'm going to immediately add the substrate to my new tank once I get it setup, purchase my plants and rocks/driftwood. Aquascape as I want
2. Attach a mature filter from Oscar Tank. Add heater (83 degrees).
3. Fill with water, 25% from my current tank and 75% from the tap. Add Seachem Prime.
4. Haven't read the directions on the liquid CO2 yet but add as label requires; add fert as label indicates.
5. Set lights 10-12 hours a day on timer.
6. My tank should be completely cycled due to old filter and mature water.
7. If water is not dirty and cloudy. Add 2 mature (3 years old) Silver dollars (i.e. Oscar/JD/Convict Punching bags - good thing they are so quick).

Day 2.
1. Check Water parameters.
2. Add Corys (6-12) and Cardinals (looking at 20-40).

Week 1-8
1. Change 50% water once a week.
2. Maintain, trip and learn about keeping/maintaining a planted tank.
3. Check water parameters and report back here to get advise on Discuss.

1. If tank has been stable and parameters are good at week 4-6 add a 2 Full Grown Discus (paired - I know this will cost me).
2. Step up water changes to 2X 30-50% changes a week.

Week 8-12
1. If all is good and I feel I can accomodate I want to move in 3 more Adult Discuss (I am thinking about all blue discuss - maybe only blue diamonds). If not continue with just the two discuss.

I plan on posting photos along the way and keeping this thread active. Any advise, lessons learned etc would be very much apreciated.

And no I am not planning on breeding.. This is my showpiece tank and I'm commited to the work.

Notes/Questions:

1. The liquid CO2 is a temporary solution can anyone give me advise what setup to buy that will cost me less than 150 dollars. Where to buy it cheaply? What brands etc?
2. Am I right in thinking that my 75 might be a little small for 5 adult discuss with plants?
3. Are there any sites with step by step instructions for planting a tank and getting a beautiful tank as a result. Step by step illustrated guides? I am not very artistic but am trained in botany and have landscaped as a summer job (lots of trimming).
4. Any other concerns?

Thanks!

Greg

overthetop2009
02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Oh yeah, the Silver dollars are going in there to replicate the anticipated bioload of the discus.

underwaterforest
02-03-2010, 08:46 PM
I hate to tell you this, but the Silver dollars will most likely eat all your plants.

Plants + Silver dollars= No plants and Happy but very full Silver Dollars

At least this was my experience trying to convert my 55 gal silver dollar tank to a planted, I just could not keep them together. I do have rather large silver dolalrs so if you have smaller one you might be able to get away with your plan, but not for long.

overthetop2009
02-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the reminder... that would have been disapointing to have all my plants eaten!

chachi
02-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Hi all,
1. If tank has been stable and parameters are good at week 4-6 add a 2 Full Grown Discus (paired - I know this will cost me).

1. The liquid CO2 is a temporary solution can anyone give me advise what setup to buy that will cost me less than 150 dollars. Where to buy it cheaply? What brands etc?
2. Am I right in thinking that my 75 might be a little small for 5 adult discuss with plants?
3. Are there any sites with step by step instructions for planting a tank and getting a beautiful tank as a result. Step by step illustrated guides? I am not very artistic but am trained in botany and have landscaped as a summer job (lots of trimming).
4. Any other concerns?

Why would you pay the extra expense of getting a pair if you are not going to breed. just get a couple that look healthy imo.

1) I use DIY co2. its basically making alcohol with yeast and sugar and letting the byproduct of co2 into your tank. there are many threads on this and should be a simple search.

2) i have a 75 and read that 5 was the minimum amount and 6 was the correct number. something to do with the community and aggression of discus

3) don't know about step by step, but i get a lot of info from http://www.plantedtank.net. keep in mind that you need to have a balance between the high temp that discus need and the lower temps that plants need. i keep my tank at 83.

4) looks like your on the right path. good luck with the tank!

chachi

overthetop2009
02-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

Planned stocking list.

75 gal, 2217 filter (aged media).

10-20 cardinals
8-12 Corys
6 Discus
Some kind of small pleco.

Anyone think I'll have any trouble with this setup in a planted tank.

I am a little worried about the water quality having as many as six discus. I assume bigger size is better given the feeding habbits will have slowed.

Any feedback would be apreciated.

G

mlw
02-08-2010, 01:08 PM

Planned stocking list.

10-20 cardinals
8-12 Corys
6 Discus

I am a little worried about the water quality having as many as six discus. I assume bigger size is better given the feeding habbits will have slowed.

G

I have a planted 75 with 7 discus 5 cories and a clown pleco. It is really difficult to keep the water clean. Lot of work. I have both an Eheim 2215 and 2217 on the tank and I use a HOT magnum after feedings to get any food left behind. I do 90% water changes every other day sometimes I will do two or three days in a row if I power feed dirty foods like beef heart or seafood mix. I move all the driftwood and gravel vacuum those areas where the driftwood was. And sometimes I STILL have stuff floating. You won't ever get your water crystal clear with juvie fish in a planted tank.

If you haven't set up the planted tank yet and you are getting juvies, go BB, seriously it is so much easier. You may have an easier time with adult fish but if you are getting juvies unless you are truly committed to lots and lots of water changes, filter cleaning, and daily food removal to ensure their well being go small fish and BB.

Yassmeena
02-08-2010, 09:11 PM

Planned stocking list.

10-20 cardinals
8-12 Corys
6 Discus

G

What made you change your mind about the pair? I kinda liked that idea. :)

Yasmin

theblondskeleton
02-08-2010, 10:50 PM
If you are going planted, you are probably going to want an algae control crew. You will always have algae in a planted tank, but critters like otocinclus, bristlenose pleco, and farlowella catfish will help immensely. I have each of these in my 90. I also have nerite snails for the odd BBA outbreak - love 'em. I'd go easy on the cardinals and fill it in with some algae crew.

underwaterforest
02-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Don't forget the king of the algea eating crew, the Siamese Algae Shark. I love mine, my trio of SAS's have battled and won many algae wars. Another good algae eater is rosy barbs but they can be pretty variable in their appetites for the green gold. Another tip for algae problems is to use seachem excel for spot treating them. Just put some excel in a syringe and spray over the algae to be killed, and it is. Good luck with your plan.

Yassmeena
02-09-2010, 02:13 PM
If you are going planted, you are probably going to want an algae control crew. You will always have algae in a planted tank, but critters like otocinclus, bristlenose pleco, and farlowella catfish will help immensely. I have each of these in my 90. I also have nerite snails for the odd BBA outbreak - love 'em. I'd go easy on the cardinals and fill it in with some algae crew.

I agree they are much more valuable than cardinals. Even a small school of cardinals can be a nice addition. :)

Yasmin

overthetop2009
02-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Hi All,

An update on my setup.

I have the substrate (flurite)and (4), ecocomplete (5), in 2 inches (front) at the least 5 inches (back) at the most (takes up more of the 75 then I was thinking). I put on my cycled 2217 (from Oscar tank), heater, and filled with water. Dosed with Ammonia to feed my bacteria.

I went to the fish store 12 hours later and bought
Plants:
1. Java Fern (2).
2. Ocelot Sword
3. Broadleaf Annubia
4. Brazillian Sword.

Fish:
1. Siamese Algae eaters (3)
2. Panda Corys (6)

All was good this morning. Fish are active and exploring.

I'm trying to fill the tank while the bacteria count in my filter is still through the roof due to it taking half the load of my pig of an Oscar for the last 3 years (why do I feel that just writing that may have hurt his feelings? - those who own an O might understand- LOL).

So today I am heading down to another pet store for more:

Plants (need some reds):
1. Lilaeopsis
2. Rotala
3. Hygrophilia

Fish:
1. Cardinals (lots of them)

Question: How many grown cardinals would make an awesome shoal for a 75 gallon tank?

Future plans:

Plants:
1. Suggestions?

Fish:
1. Pair of Blue Rams (or other dwarf cyclids)
2. Maybe 2-3 Small Clown loaches if I see snails.
2. Discus Pair - I'm not looking to breed them but want more than one and know it's either a mated pair or 5 fish (from what I have read).

Question: Anyone else feel that 5 will put me in tank cleaning mode daily for the rest of my life? I can't stand the thought of buying discus and knowing they are swimming in polluted water that is making them sick. I want a healthy tank. However, does anyone think that 5 non breeding discuss bought when fairly large could do OK with 1-2 large WC a week?

Pictures coming this weekend.

Greg

Crstfr
02-17-2010, 05:25 PM

Planned stocking list.

10-20 cardinals
8-12 Corys
6 Discus

G

i have about the same exact setup and fish load~.... fully planted.... .. the pleaco i have is the Royal Pleaco... he's a hog~

http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/a951634a2ccc4f459a64229b424de0cb/px-assets/0b8e9c8867ae47efab7b7059f6013394

current look~... see above link~ ... sorry crappy bberry image....

here's the setup underneath......

http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/a951634a2ccc4f459a64229b424de0cb/px-assets/81cd954871484412b06b0557c9eb4b5b

Yassmeena
02-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi Greg,

Sounds exciting!

Did you add any MTS (Malasyian Trumpet Snails). They stir up the sand to prevent toxic anaerobe pockets...

Yasmin