PDA

View Full Version : 100% Water Change

TheJohnner
02-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Well, I hope I didn't mess up! I just did a roughly 90% water change on my 75 gallon planted discus tank. I have had my six juvie Discus for almost a week now. I normally change 50% every other day, but I have been trying to catch two pesky Flying Foxes with no luck. So, today I basically drained the tank and caught the two Foxes! They were a mild stressor to the Discus. Now, I only hope that I haven't hurt or overly stressed the discus! They had to endure about a minute and a half of laying sideways in extremely shallow water! Now that the tank is refilled they are hiding in the corners and not coming out (at least not in the 15 minutes that I observed them after the change). Should I be really concerned? Should I add salt? If so how much?

- John

Eddie
02-07-2010, 07:32 PM
If the water parameters didn't match EXACTLY, it can stress the fish out. Especially when doing a 100% change, its extremely important to keep the water parameters steady from tank to new water. In a few hours, the fish will adjust to the new water.

Eddie

LizStreithorst
02-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Was the water you repalced aged aerated water heated to the same temp as that which was in the tank? The Asian breeders do this all the time. Fish floping around on the bottom with little water. It does no harm if the replacement water is identical.

Eddie
02-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Was the water you repalced aged aerated water heated to the same temp as that which was in the tank? The Asian breeders do this all the time. Fish floping around on the bottom with little water. It does no harm if the replacement water is identical.

I'm not Asian but I too use this method. LOL :D

DiscusFreakaZoid
02-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm not Asian but I too use this method. LOL :D
Japanese is Asian:D

Eddie
02-07-2010, 08:25 PM

LOL, only residing here in Okinawa. I am Mexican-American!

Eddie

Ed13
02-07-2010, 08:28 PM
^This.^
I've even done the 120% WC;)

BTW, great to see you back Liz!

TheJohnner
02-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Great! Thanks for the feed back! The water parameters are basically the same, the ph is just a little higher in my aged water, temp and hardness the same. I think the little guys are coming around just fine based on the fact that they were eager to eat within 45 min to 1 hour after this change.

Chad Adams
02-07-2010, 10:02 PM
John,
I think you'll be fine. Those guys are used to it.
Chad

TheJohnner
02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Chad,
Yeah, they seem to be fine now. All in all, they have adjusted well! They had to put up with two pesky Flying Foxes for a while, but no more! I will upload pictures soon!

- John

LizStreithorst
02-08-2010, 09:06 AM
BTW, great to see you back Liz!

Why thank you, Ed. I'll be stopping by more often.

dpt8
02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Liz, i don't know if you've been on sabatical but I too am glad to see you posting again !! You still raising those beutiful red koi angels ???? David T

David Rose
02-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Glad to see you posting again as well Liz! :thumbsup:

David Rose
02-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi John,

It is definitely important to be consistent with the water changes ensuring they match the tank. I'm just curious if your pH changes in the tank after water changes over a day or two. You might want to test if you haven't already done so.

Take care,
David

05 LL Stang
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
ROSWELL!!! Where are you in town? I am just off 92 near King road.

WELCOME!!!!

TheJohnner
02-08-2010, 10:10 PM
David,
The PH doesn't change much once I do a 50% water change. I have an automated CO2 system with a PH controller set for 6.5, so usually the tank is about 6.6-6.7 and after a change it is usually around 6.7. At night it goes up to 7.

TheJohnner
02-08-2010, 10:11 PM
ROSWELL!!! Where are you in town? I am just off 92 near King road.

WELCOME!!!!

LL Stang,

I am on Coleman Rd (in between 120 and downtown Roswell).

scottishbloke
02-08-2010, 11:14 PM
I also use the same "laying on their side" method as Eddie and others for my WCs (Eddie- the SAFE works GREAT :D:D I ended up splitting my 4kg bucket with Chad, looked kinda sketchy me bringing him a bag of white powder, lol). Very occasionally (maybe 3 times in 8 months) my new water has been slightly different in parameters and a couple of my discus got annoyed with me, but this didn't last long and after 30 minutes, they were demanding food again like the spoiled children they are :) My 9 Stendker fry also get the same WC regime, and are doing just wonderful. I do however ensure there is just enough water left during WCs to cover both gills of the fish when laying down, so they don't flop and splash around and get freaked out much. After seeing the movie someone posted of an Asian breeder doing a crazy fast waterchange and tank scrubdown, I am gentle by comparison!

Have a good 'un,

Colin
P.S. I live just off Eagle Drive/Bells Ferry in Woodstock, but used to live in Roswell too (Old Mountain Park Road).

TheJohnner
02-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks Scott. I got my discus from Chad too!

Cooldadddyfunk286
02-10-2010, 03:29 PM

haha Eddie, you got owned. what?? theres no other mexicans in Japan?!?! ;):D:D