PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

OneOnOne1719
02-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Well today I woke up to find all my discus looking really bad it looks like they need oxygen or something. Some of them are laying on their side at the the bottom of the tank and others are at the top of the tank. Any Ideas Why. Also I have very hard water where i live should. I been thinking about trying to lower the hardness of my water but not sure if I should.

PH=7.8
Nitrate=0
Nitrite=0
Ammonia=0
Chlorine=0
Water Hardness= over 300ppm

Omar

LizStreithorst
02-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Is there surface agitation in your tank? That's how the oxygen gets in the water.

Finatic
02-08-2010, 01:28 PM
The hardness or ph wont matter, UNLESS there is a dramatic change in the PH. Is the water out of your tap constant to your fish tank? Discus dont do well to sudden changes in water chemistry, and it sounds like your fish are suffering from some sort of shock. Throw in an air stone, and add salt (1TBSP per gallon) which will help with their gill functions. Also, what is your water temp? Did you just do a big water change?

As long as your PH stays the same, it is not a problem. Discus just need consistent conditions.

See if that works, and if not, check back on the sickness thread and fill out the questionairre so that some of the experts can guide you. Better hurry though, as their current condition doesnt sound good.

OneOnOne1719
02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Yes there is surface agitation in my tank. I aged my water on a container for my w/c since my tap water ph is not stable. I did make a 50% water change the nite before my temperature from my storage container is very close to my tank temp. I will have to do some more research. I have add it and extra air stone and some salt.

thank you all

Eddie
02-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Added any new fish recently and do you use Co2 at all (planted tank)?

OneOnOne1719
02-09-2010, 02:47 AM
No new fish on this tank, it's a 55g BB with only a spong filter and a aquaclear filter.

pinoysport
02-09-2010, 02:52 AM
What about heat? too hot? to cold? im not expert but i you see them trying to get air from the top of the tank then maybe you need to get some air in there?

Scribbles
02-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Is there enough room at the top of the tank for gas exchange or is it filled to the top?

Chris

OneOnOne1719
02-09-2010, 10:19 AM
woke up today and they look a lot better after another w/c and adding another air stone. I did notice to day in the morning that my water temperature its closed to 90 degrees. I think thats hot compare to my other tanks 84 degrees, but when I 1st notice my fish look sick the water temperatures was normal (same to my other tanks). I have about 4 inches from the water line to the top of the tank for gas exchange.

Omar