PDA

View Full Version : Jehmco Frozen Bloodworms

David Rose
02-12-2010, 05:15 PM
It seems Hikari frozen bloodworms are becoming hard to come buy at the LFS, so has anyone tried Jehmco's Frozen Bloodworms, (midge larvae).

http://www.jehmco.com/html/frozen.html

Would you recommend them?

Jhhnn
02-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Blkrob and I split a 15lb order of hikari frozen bloodworms from one of our sponsors (aquatic foods) awhile back. Terrific deal, and they arrived rockhard, in perfect condition-

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Send 'em an email, mention Simply, see what they can do for you... They carry a variety of other hikari foods and california balckworms, too...

diamond_discus
02-13-2010, 01:12 AM
I order my FBW from DrFosterSmith. They have a flat shipping rate of $25.
I usually wait till they are on sales (usually twice a year) and I order 25 to 30 lbs at a time.

Someone post the following earlier ... Seems a better deal but 56 lbs is a lot...
I don't have room to store that many in my refrigerator. Perhaps I will form a local group buy.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=77159

ShinShin
02-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Don't wait too long to order from Drs. Foster and Smith. In late December they told me that there was no frozen food sales this winter.

Mat

diamond_discus
02-13-2010, 01:59 AM
Don't wait too long to order from Drs. Foster and Smith. In late December they told me that there was no frozen food sales this winter.

Mat

Well, DrFosterSmith sent me a coupon book that has 15% off for food this month and one more later on the year. Or I might order from that Oregon website but I need to find a partner to share that 56 lbs .. Or I am actually thinking about using Mal's Freeze Dried Black Worm instead.

Justice
02-13-2010, 03:37 AM

MatI bought 12 lbs of Hikari BW from DF&S last week maybe I should have bought more. :(

ShinShin
02-13-2010, 03:42 AM
Does the 15% include frozen food? If so, lucky you. I am just telling you what they told me - no frozen Hikari semiannual sale. I buy about 24-25 lbs. each sale. Not this winter, however. There was none.

Mat

David Rose
02-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions.

alpine
02-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Mat. I have an email from Fosters offering foods 25% off till the 28th of this month. Frozen oods are included.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/fish-supplies/aquarium-fish-food/ps/c/3578/7927?ref=6057&subref=AA&cmpid=E-_-CAL-_-21010-_-AQFD

Roberto.

phat nguyen
02-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Hello,
I just got off the phone with Jehmco's Rep. about the 25% discount on frozen food (Hikari Blood worm). Yes, they will give you a 25% discount. I had a hard time getting the discount online :confused: :confused: :confused:.
The 16 0z is $6.19. So , this is a good time to order from them.

Sincerely,
Perry

David Rose
02-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Hello,
I just got off the phone with Jehmco's Rep. about the 25% discount on frozen food (Hikari Blood worm). Yes, they will give you a 25% discount. I had a hard time getting the discount online :confused: :confused: :confused:.
The 16 0z is $6.19. So , this is a good time to order from them.

Sincerely,
Perry

Perry, did you mean to say Dr. Foster and Smith rather than Jehmco? Given Jemcho is not open on Saturdays and do not have Hikari BW listed.

Thanks,
David

David Rose
02-13-2010, 12:38 PM
So, I take no one has bought Jehmco's FBWs?

diamond_discus
02-13-2010, 01:48 PM
So, I take no one has bought Jehmco's FBWs?

I brought lots of stuff from John (Jehmco) but not FBW ... don't know the shipping cost but I imagine it's not cheaper than DrFosterSmith's $25 flat rate ?

diamond_discus
02-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Does the 15% include frozen food? If so, lucky you. I am just telling you what they told me - no frozen Hikari semiannual sale. I buy about 24-25 lbs. each sale. Not this winter, however. There was none.

Mat

My bad ... just checked my coupon book .. It's 25% off instead of 15% off regular price, for All Aquarium and Pond Fish Food.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/fp

You will see the coupon code at that webpage.

That coupon book is for entire year, different sales each month.
Feb and May - 25% off food
March - Free Black Diamond Carbon
April - Free Stress Coat
June and Nov - 50% ground shipping
July - 25% off all filter media
Aug - 20% all aquarium pond filters
Sep - 15% off any $150 order
Oct - 25% off all heaters
Dec - 20% off lighting

I still have some frozen BW left ..will order in May instead .. but perhaps by that time, I decided to switch to Mal's Freeze Dried Worm instead. Still couldn't figure out which one is cheaper.

diamond_discus
02-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Anyone order from Oregon Desert Brine Shrimp before ?
http://oregondesertbrineshrimp.com/ODBS_Pricelist_020910.html
They have 56lbs for $206, plus shipping (they told me about $60 to Los Angeles). That's about $4.64 per lb. I am actually looking for local people to share this 56lbs ...

ShinShin
02-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Well, thanks for the heads-up. I need to thank the woman I spoke with for the accurate inormation she gave me ;) .

Mat

David Rose
02-13-2010, 02:39 PM
I brought lots of stuff from John (Jehmco) but not FBW ... don't know the shipping cost but I imagine it's not cheaper than DrFosterSmith's $25 flat rate ?

Actually, I get all normal shipments from Jehmco the next day, so shipping will not be bad at all. i.e. $10 or less

diamond_discus
02-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Actually, I get all normal shipments from Jehmco the next day, so shipping will not be bad at all. i.e. $10 or less

I thought the shipping for frozen food is different ? I have to call John on Monday.

David Rose
02-13-2010, 03:00 PM
I thought the shipping for frozen food is different ? I have to call John on Monday.

Jehmco is in NJ and I'm in PA, so "normal" shipping comes in one day, so they don't charge me more for frozen.

phat nguyen
02-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Hello David,
I am so sorry. It was my mistake. I ordered the frozen bloodworm from Foster and Smith, not jehmco, so sorry for any inconveniences.

Perry,

truc_tuyen
02-14-2010, 01:26 AM
become a fatwallet member and try to find an online coupon, you could save $10 dollars right there. Fatwallet have 5% cash back and $5.00 coupon is not hard to find using google
that is if you order a total of $100

David Rose
02-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Hello David,
I am so sorry. It was my mistake. I ordered the frozen bloodworm from Foster and Smith, not jehmco, so sorry for any inconveniences.

Perry,

LOL....no worries Perry. I actually tried to call Jehmco when I saw your post to check it out because Jehmco told me once that they sometimes have products not listed on their website. I had hoped you were right ;)

seanyuki
02-14-2010, 11:14 AM
It's also hard to get Hikari Frozen bloodworms in Canada.....need to train the discus to eat other stuffs too.

Justice
02-15-2010, 10:29 AM

Mat

I ordered before I got the E-mail about the discount, so I do not know. :o

David Rose
02-16-2010, 10:58 PM
I got my first order of frozen blood worms from Jehmco today.

Pros:
Definitely good price for the quantity (11 lbs/$62.50)
Appearance is very much like Hikari brand FBWs
My finicky connoisseurs of FBWs loved them just as much as Hikari (believe or not, there are some brands they just spit out)

Cons:
No label indicating "nutritional facts"

Neutral:
Packaging: large approximately 2lb zip lock bags that you'll need to cut into squares)

phat nguyen
02-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Hello David,
Just got my 30 lbs of Frozen Hikari Bloodworm from Drs foster for $6.19/lb. Up to you to decide what is best for you..... I used to paid $12- $20/lb for live worm. Looking forward to Mal Freeze dry through Al.

Best wishes,
Perry Nguyen

David Rose
02-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Hi Perry,

I hope all is well with you. Sounds like Dr. F&S works out pretty well also depending on shipping costs, but the benefit to SD is always a good way to go.

Take care,
David

tcmemphisbbq
02-27-2010, 10:49 PM
David, do the jehmco brand enhance with vitamins like hikari?

When Im in a pinch, short or cant find hikari fbw I keep some of the hikari freeze dried blood worms - my discus like em just as well and 65% protein plus you still get the vitamins. I couldnt find hikari fbw earlier at petco (out for now), they had the san fran brand but they dont use vitamins and the product never looks at "clean" so I didnt get them - so the freeze dried are a good alternative for me till I can get to the nearest lfs an hour away

David Rose
02-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi Tom,

Same here in regards to Petco carrying the San Fran brand. My discus won't even touch them.

I'll send off an email to John at Jehmco to ask about the FBW. Mine love them just as much as the Hikari. They look the same in appearance to the Hikari...very clean and ruby read. The worms might be just slightly thicker...but only slightly.

I'll let you know what John says.

gwrace
03-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I just wish Jehmco would catch up with the times and current technology and offer online secure ordering. The web site also needs some work as it's rather clunky to navigate. No issues with customer service however.

David Rose
03-03-2010, 03:16 PM
With all the issues with identity theft theses days, I kind of like the old fashioned call in your order and you get to talk to someone...not voicemail, no call management systems routing me to the right department, no automated emails...NICE!

I've actually have been contemplating not ordering online any more with all that you have to go through sometimes when these systems don't work right and stop using my credit card online. I guess I'm just skeptical that all the technology and security protocols aren't going to be able to keep ahead of the genius hackers.

Just my thoughts though.:D

diamond_discus
03-09-2010, 12:28 AM
With all the issues with identity theft theses days, I kind of like the old fashioned call in your order and you get to talk to someone...not voicemail, no call management systems routing me to the right department, no automated emails...NICE!

I've actually have been contemplating not ordering online any more with all that you have to go through sometimes when these systems don't work right and stop using my credit card online. I guess I'm just skeptical that all the technology and security protocols aren't going to be able to keep ahead of the genius hackers.

Just my thoughts though.:D

So David, are you suggesting we should be calling you for all future group buy ?:p

David Rose
03-09-2010, 11:59 AM
So David, are you suggesting we should be calling you for all future group buy ?:p

Not at all, since we have instant messaging (PMs), SD posts, email and PayPal available to us. That's pretty much the standard for SD Sponsors ;)

Darrell Ward
03-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I prefer live blackworms from Aquatic Foods, also a sponsor here, to the frozen bloodworms. I've been using them close to a year now with excellent results. They are always clean, and arrive the next day. Dan and Jennifer are good people. If you have to order them anyway, for only a little more you can get live food. I usually get a order twice a month of several pounds, and don't even notice the few extra bucks for them in the long run. They also have frozen bloodworms, as stated above, but the blackworms are superior IMO. I haven't gotten around to trying the freeze dried ones from Al yet. Just been putting it off, one of my faults I guess. :D

David Rose
03-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm definitely going to give them a try. Thanks Darrell!