PDA

View Full Version : Tank size

Lovardi Discus
02-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi all,

Do you think I can keep 5-6 dscus in a 45 gallon bow front tank? Thanks

Scribbles
02-15-2010, 12:54 PM
If the tank is bare bottom (bb) and you do large frequent water changes I think that you can do it. Of course you couldn't put anything else in the tank. Most people keep to the 10 gallon per discus guideline and may say no.

Chris

Harriett
02-15-2010, 03:07 PM
You CAN do it, but in so doing, you have some boundaries that aren't nearly as flexible, such as: with a larger tank with the 10+ g/discus, if there is a problem in the tank, you have a bit more time and space to get them through--when the tank starts out overstocked, you are already a bit behind the 8 ball. If YOU get sick or need to be away for a couple of days, and need to skip a water change or two and the stocking isn't as heavy, the tank would most likely be fine, but if overstocked, you have no wiggle room. I think if you have no other alternatives, you can do it, but in the long run, you would probably want to go for a larger tank. If you do large daily water changes, you should be ok...I just like the insurance of a greater water volume. This is just my opinion.
Best regards,
Harriett

DonMD
02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Yes, I agree with Chris and Harriett. Also, do you have a quarantine or hospital tank on standby? It's always a good idea to have one ready, especially as crowding fish can cause stress, which then allows pathogens an entry. But with lots of water changes, should be no problem.

Singin4Cnu
02-15-2010, 07:30 PM
In raising a group, I kept 8 in my 45 for few months (Now in my fresh 75). With that in mind, I did 90 percent water changes every other day, while doing about 15 percent on the off days to clear sitting waste. It can be done but is a huge pain (and rough on the electric bill if your hot water heater is small like mine :p).

Eddie
02-16-2010, 06:36 AM
You CAN do it, but in so doing, you have some boundaries that aren't nearly as flexible, such as: with a larger tank with the 10+ g/discus, if there is a problem in the tank, you have a bit more time and space to get them through--when the tank starts out overstocked, you are already a bit behind the 8 ball. If YOU get sick or need to be away for a couple of days, and need to skip a water change or two and the stocking isn't as heavy, the tank would most likely be fine, but if overstocked, you have no wiggle room. I think if you have no other alternatives, you can do it, but in the long run, you would probably want to go for a larger tank. If you do large daily water changes, you should be ok...I just like the insurance of a greater water volume. This is just my opinion.
Best regards,
Harriett

Ditto what Harriet said. ;)

Eddie